Author Topic: The Real Life Maverick and WW2's Biggest Chad: Hans Joachim Marseille  (Read 1067 times)

Offline zenzen

• Zinc Member

Hello peeps,

just watch an exellent documentary on Joachim Marseille.  Almost certain it was made by B6pacman.  Can't recomend it highly enough. 

The Real Life Maverick and WW2's Biggest Chad: Hans Joachim Marseille "The Star of Africa"

https://youtu.be/XazS6ANj_C4

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: The Real Life Maverick and WW2's Biggest Chad: Hans Joachim Marseille
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 04:18:28 PM »
Walter Horton wrote my dad a letter where he mentioned that Joachim had a computer punch card on his windscreen to show the proper lead on a crossing shot. Given an average speed and shooting distance some mathematician figured out the lead required and put holes in the punch card as a reference. Because of his desire to be the top fighter pilot he didn't share this trick with anybody.

It's notable that some AH pilots learned to do the same thing with cockpit frame references.

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 04:36:35 PM »
 :salute think anyone comes close to him in Ah? :salute :cheers:

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 11:32:00 PM »
Dweebs thou art and dweebs thy shall remain.

No you will never be as good as Marseille and to think cartoon pew pew is a close enough approximation to suggest no risk entertainment compares with life and death struggle defies logic so egregiously that it exposes the infantile fantasy world that the ones suggesting such a correlation inhabit.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 11:34:36 PM »
No you will never be as good as Marseille and to think cartoon pew pew is a close enough approximation to suggest no risk entertainment compares with life and death struggle defies logic so egregiously that it exposes the infantile fantasy world that the ones suggesting such a correlation inhabit.

This might be post of the year.  :rock
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 12:17:21 AM »
The Marseille documentary linked is excellent and well worth watching also.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Kassill

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 09:05:41 AM »
Yes it's a very good watch  :aok

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 04:19:48 PM »
Walter Horton wrote my dad a letter where he mentioned that Joachim had a computer punch card on his windscreen to show the proper lead on a crossing shot. Given an average speed and shooting distance some mathematician figured out the lead required and put holes in the punch card as a reference. Because of his desire to be the top fighter pilot he didn't share this trick with anybody.

It's notable that some AH pilots learned to do the same thing with cockpit frame references.

Several books about the RCAF/RAF ace George "Buzz" Beurling, make reference to Buzz using marks and lines he would make on his cockpit windows as well.  He had created his own geometric aiming system.  Beurling only spoke/taught this system to a couple other pilots, and his C.O. in Malta was one of them.  Right after learning said system, the CO shot down 2 109s and an Italian aircraft on his next flight. 

I'm not surprised that Marseille was using similar methods. 

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 03:14:33 AM »
Thank you for the link.   :aok    I have read some books about him and must say he was an amazing person, in many ways.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 08:33:35 AM »
I found it interesting he mentions around 14:05 that the 109 is a favorite ride in Aces High.
Good video, 24:35 into it so far.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 08:48:45 AM »

hush  :bolt:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 10:32:00 PM »
Dweebs thou art and dweebs thy shall remain.

there always has to be at least one of these guys on a post like this :rofl
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 12:17:18 PM »
Walter Horton wrote my dad a letter where he mentioned that Joachim had a computer punch card on his windscreen to show the proper lead on a crossing shot.

I presume you meant Walter Horten, not Walter Horton? Even music can be used as a weapon if made as well as Cacofonix does.    :D

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 05:46:40 PM »
It certainly helps when your bullets actually work! :old: I have really enjoyed listening to this. Gives me that craving to play AH. The thrill of ww2 air combat. Seems he could work that 109f. Seems like he was a pretty cool guy. 
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 06:58:11 AM »
His death was the kicker...taken down by his own side by mechanical issues and a freak bailout

Germany was loaded with fantastic pilots, the allies were lucky their leaders were bat crap crazy

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals