Author Topic: Fellas- I'm upgrading!  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
Fellas- I'm upgrading!
« on: December 10, 2022, 10:34:06 AM »
Howdy all! Hope the MA hasn't been too quiet since I killed my subscription. I left for a trip to Vietnam to visit family (I'm half-Viet), and didn't have the funds anymore to keep up the sub, so I just killed it. Maybe I'll come back sometime if circumstances allow. In the meantime I occasionally pop into the Match Play arena to sling a Moss around, I bested a P-51 in a turnfight today, so there's my achievement.

But here's the big news. If it wasn't obvious already, I want to be a service pilot for the US military, leaning towards the Air Force right now. At the moment I'm still in high school, I'm the flight engineer for the school drone team, and I'm a Cadet Airman First Class in AFJROTC.

The BEST possible thing happened-
I GOT INTO FLIGHT SCHOOL!

AFJROTC actually has a flight academy program: https://www.airuniversity.af.edu/Holm-Center/AFJROTC/Display/Article/3154508/flight-academy/
A few months ago I started the application process. This included GPA checks, an aptitude test, physical fitness tests, and more. I just found out from the Major 5 days ago, that I have been selected for the AFJROTC Flight Academy!

So what this looks like is that next summer I'll go off to a partnered university for eight weeks of flight training, culminating in me soloing and earning my private ticket. This is completely paid for by the Air Force, I don't pay a cent, not even for room/board and travel.

Out of around 1,300 to 1,500 applicants, I'm one of 200 Selects. I'm also the first ever selected out of my unit, which is as old as AFJROTC itself.

I can't wait to take to the skies for real, and I will indeed earn wings on my uniform. It's a dream come true!  :airplane:

This is a screenshot of a part of the Commander's letter that I received:
Turn n' Burn!

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: Fellas- I'm upgrading!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 10:37:23 AM »
Congrats!

Was wondering where you went.

:salute
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 10:52:13 AM »
Congrats!

Sounds like a blast! Enjoy!

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 11:10:17 AM »
Wow Tig that is YUGE! Sounds like they are impressed with you. Congrats man.

"I'm the flight engineer for the school drone team".

I'm so freakin jealous you have a school drone team. I was into RC planes with my pops in high school about 15 years ago but drones weren't really a "thing" then and i was probably the only kid with 3000 students at my school that flew RC airplanes. Would have loved to have been in a club like that.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 11:44:08 AM »
Thats Great
 :banana: :banana: :banana:
AkCaine

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 11:49:21 AM »
Congrats, Tig.

Good Luck.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 12:26:33 PM »
Obviously you have already been working hard towards your goals. Great job so far and Congratulations on the selection. Keep up the good work!  :aok   :cheers:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 02:56:55 PM »
Wow! That's really something! Been wondering where have you been. Haven't been flying much lately but when in, been missing your friendly attitude and sense of humor.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 10:01:14 AM »
Awesome Tig, wish you the best sir.  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 10:46:31 AM »
Sounds like a lot of fun! All the best with the program. Do us a favor though. Come and shoot us down once in a while when you have the funds!

Good luck<$>
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2022, 12:20:42 PM »
Sounds like a lot of fun! All the best with the program. Do us a favor though. Come and shoot us down once in a while when you have the funds!

Good luck<$>

You just keep your eyes open for a black Mosquito diving out of the sun and dropping in on your six, alright?  :airplane:
Turn n' Burn!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2022, 12:54:08 PM »
Way to go, dude!  :aok

By the way, if you are willing to fly in the February Scenario "Battle for Paris", which runs Saturdays in February, I will buy you December, January, and February access to Aces High.

Deal?

Dates and times of event are here:
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/current-or-next-scenario

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2022, 01:09:50 PM »
Way to go, dude!  :aok

By the way, if you are willing to fly in the February Scenario "Battle for Paris", which runs Saturdays in February, I will buy you December, January, and February access to Aces High.

Deal?

Dates and times of event are here:
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/current-or-next-scenario

Well that's mighty generous of you! You're on!

This one has better timing for me, Saturdays at 6 PM my time. I'll be able to be there at least for an hour or two each frame, depending on how long it takes for my folks to kick me off  :x

Ooh I really like flying Allied, but I think given the numbers from the last scenario, put me down for a Bf 109G-6. I've learned it pretty well, it's quite a fun plane.
Turn n' Burn!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2022, 10:39:43 PM »
Well that's mighty generous of you! You're on!

Sweet!

Ooh I really like flying Allied, but I think given the numbers from the last scenario, put me down for a Bf 109G-6. I've learned it pretty well, it's quite a fun plane.

Please take an allied fighter spot if it's still open.  Axis can step up its recruiting.  If allied fighters are full, then go axis.  :aok

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2022, 05:51:31 AM »
Please take an allied fighter spot if it's still open.  Axis can step up its recruiting.  If allied fighters are full, then go axis.  :aok

Alright then, put me down for a P-38J then, let's see how hard I can sling around a twin, see how much I've learned from the Moss. Pony isn't a very good match for me, and I just don't have experience with the Jug.
Turn n' Burn!