Author Topic: Low frame rate ETO Map  (Read 534 times)

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
Low frame rate ETO Map
« on: December 10, 2022, 11:57:35 PM »
Just flew A1 to 165 under 12k all the way. Over 165 hit clouds frame rate dropped to two. Dumped bombs and climed to 17k heading east into more clouds. Frame rate dropped again AC would not answer controls untill nose down.
All sliders on environment set to minimum.  :bhead
I tried a bomb run at 20k+ and 3 of 5  targeTs were IFR
If changes have been made since last map rotation the have no effect for me. I have a constant frame rate of 60 on all other maps
if the requirement for video card has changed can you please post new set of specs?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 12:04:41 AM by 1Cane »
AkCaine

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Low frame rate ETO Map
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 01:14:49 AM »
Clouds have been the cause of low frame rates since the beginning and despite all optimizing they still can be problematic at some locations. A wild guess is that since they move somewhat randomly across the map, it may happen that they gather in one spot to a huge lump of polygons. That's similar to the frame rate drop caused by the smoke of a burning field or town.

Regarding the requirement for video card, my rule of thumb has already for decades been that the "minimum" is really what it says, barely something that can give you a hint of a game. Thus I've considered the "recommended" to be the minimum for a mostly fluent gaming experience. GTX 960 was the budget gaming card back in 2015 and although there hasn't been any major changes in AH, a lot has happened to Windows and it's almost impossible to tell how much it now grabs from the resources that used to be dedicated to gaming.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 07:30:00 AM »
Would be helpful if you posted your system specs - graphics card, CPU and RAM, and if other players with similiar fps problems on ETOMA would post here.

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 09:10:21 AM »
Would be helpful if you posted your system specs - graphics card, CPU and RAM, and if other players with similiar fps problems on ETOMA would post here.
GPU  AMD 7950HD 3GB
CPU I7-3770
RAM 16gb This exceeds specs on home page

AkCaine

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 12:00:13 PM »
That explains some. If you look at this comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-AMD-HD-7950/3165vs2160, at first glance they seem to be in the same ballpark considering speed. But looking further the 960 handles reflections and multi rendering much better - does that mean clouds, I'm not 100% certain but that's where your card falls between minimum and recommended.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 12:59:06 PM »
That explains some. If you look at this comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-AMD-HD-7950/3165vs2160, at first glance they seem to be in the same ballpark considering speed. But looking further the 960 handles reflections and multi rendering much better - does that mean clouds, I'm not 100% certain but that's where your card falls between minimum and recommended.
I appreciate your help
AkCaine

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 03:44:59 AM »
going to DX9  seems to do the job. I have not tried buffs yet
AkCaine

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 07:30:20 AM »
In my mill, surprisingly trees drop the frame rate much more than clouds. When flying low like hunting GVs, drop may be from around 140 down to 45, if tree details high. Putting them low I get reasonable rate around 75 and when climbing bit higher, back to over 100s. Old mill but runs even IL2 in low graphs reasonably well with a help of Razer Cortex and mild overclocking with Afterburner.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0, Build 19045
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 4/4
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
RAM 16 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB
Monitor STK S2-TEK TV 1920x1080 / 42,1 Inch