Author Topic: Stick Config file problems  (Read 511 times)

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
Stick Config file problems
« on: January 06, 2023, 03:01:07 AM »
I have set myself up with VKB stick and throttles.  I have programmed all kb commands into the stick so that I only need to have axis' bound in game.  Problem is each time I log in a new VR stick config file wipes out my settings and I have to remap everything.

Anyone have any clue as to why a new config file keeps getting made?

Cheers

NikonGuy
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
Re: Stick Config file problems
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 03:31:33 PM »
Not sure why it's happening, but can you set your mappings and then make the stick cfg file read-only so it can't be changed by the app?
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 08:06:02 PM »
It sounds like you are using the VKB to bind the keystrokes to your stick and throttle. Could it be that the AH software is trying to use a default setting for the stick and throttle? Maybe go into the game, set all of the stick button configurations to "none" and save it. Then set your stick to the setting your trying to get working.

Don't know for sure, just a guess. Ive always used AH key mapping no matter which stick I have used through the years. Never had a problem with it.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 09:29:44 PM »
Thought I replied to this earlier but guess I didn't post it. It's happened to me too and some others. For some reason I would just up and lose all my mappings. It's happened in the middle of a FSO frame! No idea what causes it. It hasn't happened to me in a while now. No idea why that is either! What I did do was to make a zip file of my stick mappings. Note there are maps for regular and VR. I just put them all in a zip so I can just unzip them back to my settings folder quickly when it happened. Then, naturally it stopped happening <knocks wood>
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 06:31:25 PM »
Logged in just now control mappings cloned mode 1 to mode 2. Since New year the few times I've flown control mappings have wiped setting three times. Made mode 4 for bombers, and 2 days later had to do it again. Never had this happen before, maybe once or twice in all the years before.  How or what file do you back up?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 06:56:29 PM »
Not at the PC just now but IIRC, in the settings folder, you'll find a jsm file for each of your controllers. If you fly in VR there is another set with a vr_ suffix. Copy all those to a folder somewhere you can remember like the desktop. I just made a zip. When it happens again, just copy them back to the settings folder. When it asks if you want to overwrite say yes. Your maps will be back by you may have to recalibrate.

Annoying isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 11:53:50 AM »
If your stick is connected to a USB hub the USB ID may be changing if other devices are connected to the hub. Then the game no longer sees the device you mapped previously. I've had trouble with that and avoid connecting HOTAS to hubs. Had an interesting issue with my new Virpil stick. Everything was working normally. All functions showing properly in the Virpil software and the Windows "Set up USB Controllers" app. Assigned some buttons to the outer ranges of the mini stick (axes) and next time I checked the Windows app it says cannot connect to the device. Reboots, different USB ports, nothing helped. Went into the Settings -> Bluetooth & Devices -> Devices and removed the VPC stick there. Unplugged and replugged and back to normal. Lost some mappings though because it appears as a new stick.

I suspected the config Windows had stored was corrupted or changed such that it no longer recognized the device properly. Doing that last step cleared it out and allowed a new detection.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 08:16:13 PM »
If your stick is connected to a USB hub the USB ID may be changing if other devices are connected to the hub. Then the game no longer sees the device you mapped previously. I've had trouble with that and avoid connecting HOTAS to hubs.

Sorry I'm late to this party but just had the same happen to me. It happened right after I moved my VKB gear to a powered hub thinking it would be convenient. It wasn't very convenient as I sat on the runway like a dope frozen in amber wondering what was going on.
Anyhow, came here and found this thread and followed both AKIron and Drano's advice. We'll see how it goes.
I don't have virtual yet so my config files for saving were in settings and were named VKBSIMGLADIATORxxx.JSM.

I had windows setup not to let USB devices power off but an update reversed those settings it seems so that may be part of the issue as well.
Sorry for the re-dredging of this thread.
The Damned
Founded 1988