Author Topic: Devotion  (Read 1530 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Devotion
« on: January 10, 2023, 09:16:34 AM »
Streamed it last night.

Not bad.  Better than Midway.

A little slow at times.  I would have edited out at least half of the shore leave stuff.

6.5/10

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Re: Devotion
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 05:46:17 PM »
Maybe 35% of this film was about naval aviation.

The 65% was about an African American aviator and the struggles he went through to have the right to defend his country.

Loved this film. Wish it was longer.

9.6/10
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 06:17:43 PM »
Maybe 35% of this film was about naval aviation.

The 65% was about an African American aviator and the struggles he went through to have the right to defend his country.

Loved this film. Wish it was longer.

9.6/10

The Audible book was great.

If it were me I would have cut 80% of the Liz Taylor stuff out and used that time to add an short vignette of the two men from their childhood.  To reveal some part of their formation and where they came from to the point they meet.  The Liz adventure was an interesting tidbit, but didn't advance the plot or the character arcs.

Very nice cinematography. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 08:14:31 AM »
Just saw it.  Plane-wise, features updated F4u and Bearcat.  Also, Skyraider and references the Panther jet.  There is another jet but I don't want to give away movie parts.  Good movie.  Based on a true story.  Great graphics.

Had me guessing how I'd deal with each situation, it will for you too.  Should drop flaps now etc.

Enjoy!  :aok
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 08:44:07 AM »
It is on the agenda tonight, looking forward to it.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 09:30:59 AM »
There were some scenes that were amazing.

There were some scenes that were really bad. Like made for TV movie bad.

You can't expect every war or historical film to be on the level of Spielberg and Hanks, so overall I thought it was good. I felt it was real when it needed to be real, and some small nuances towards historical squadrons that were part of the airwing made it seem like someone at least did their homework.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 10:14:06 AM »
I felt it was real when it needed to be real, and some small nuances towards historical squadrons that were part of the airwing made it seem like someone at least did their homework.

This is my biggest complaint about historical films. There so many of us historians who are more than willing to help out, do research, and make sure you get it right as a director, but they do it their way. The little things piss me off so much because it is not difficult. Sometimes, it is literally a Google search away. Yet they get it wrong.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 10:48:12 AM »
It's because profits come before historical accuracy. One of the main rules of Hollywood
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 01:06:01 PM »
It's because profits come before historical accuracy. One of the main rules of Hollywood

Profits come before literally everything, the main rule of capitalism.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 10:20:49 PM »
 Guess I will be watching this film this month and dam i still haven’t watched the new top gun movie yet. I am slacking really bad
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 10:46:34 PM »
Profits come before literally everything, the main rule of capitalism.

Well, revenues are also an indication of success/popularity. I would think it would be more beneficial and more profitable to make the movie as historical as possible given that they would want the historical community to watch it and be proud of it. I'd say it's more arrogance on their part to ignore it. In all reality actually, Hollywood, or the movie industry surrounding the mainstream, has foregone profits to push their social agenda, which hasn't really worked out well for them from a capitalistic perspective. You can see that movies without all of the social in your face innuendos like TopGun were very profitable and good for both the Industry and the audience.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 10:51:25 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2023, 08:16:38 AM »
Saw it last night

True story kept me more interested and looking past hollywood exaggerations..

Did the mig actually t&b with the prop planes? Why?

The wife enjoyed it too

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2023, 08:31:52 AM »
I was pretty impressed with the movie, especially the flying scenes. Nothing was too far out of the realm of possibility, there were no "magical" moments like we have seen in recent aviation films, and the film was not too audacious. Very high marks from me.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2023, 10:46:17 AM »
I was pretty impressed with the movie, especially the flying scenes. Nothing was too far out of the realm of possibility, there were no "magical" moments like we have seen in recent aviation films, and the film was not too audacious. Very high marks from me.

Agreed. In fact the only time I cringed were in other scenes where either they ran out of CG money or just didn't seem to really care that it looked bad.

But overall I overlooked it and enjoyed it.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2023, 03:55:22 PM »
Did the mig actually t&b with the prop planes? Why?

Wondering the same thing.  I was thinking maybe it was not a Soviet pilot.  That is generally not how a plane that can fly at least 100 mph faster would fight another.  It put itself at a disadvantage.

EDIT: The setup was perfect.  We do that for each other here.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 04:03:07 PM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --