Author Topic: Liking liver is genetic. I knew it!  (Read 1092 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Liking liver is genetic. I knew it!
« on: January 16, 2023, 10:14:23 PM »
I always knew that people who could swallow beef liver were fundamentally different. Some people lack the enzyme that prevents them from consuming bad things like liver. When people say that they don’t like liver, that’s really an understatement. For half the world liver is a natural emetic, that’s a big word for something that stimulates vomiting. The challenge for us with liver intolerance is that it is very difficult to swallow something while consciously trying to suppress an involuntary wretch reflex. Usually liver eaters will respond with, well you’ve got to prepare it right, you should taste how my granny makes it”.  And we were like, no you don’t understand. It’s not a taste thing, I don’t like the taste of seafood but I can and do eat it. Liver.. different all together’ more unpleasant than tear gas. I’ve been gassed, it sucks but it was better than gagging and dry heaving for 15 minutes. So if your kids don’t like liver, for god’s sake don’t make them eat it.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Re: Liking liver is genetic. I knew it!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 10:19:14 PM »
Here’s a video of someone who is liver intolerant but doesn’t know it and tries to eat liver for the first time. I can relate 100%, especially the angry “why do people eat this??”

https://youtu.be/sAXoU43wU44

You’ll notice only one of the guys in the video is intolerant and the other guy just doesn’t like it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 10:25:30 PM by FLOOB »
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 10:37:32 PM »
I never liked liver but have eaten it a few times because I was told it's good for you. Iron and all that. The gag reflex can be controlled though even if you die doing it. Though I've yet to prove that.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 11:01:06 PM »
liver and onions.  it's heaven

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 11:06:25 PM »
Not a big fan, but I try and eat it occasionally.  If sufficiently doused in carmelized onions and gravy it is almost edible. ;)  I recently say a recipe for smoked liver and onions I might try.

It is insanely good for you though.  Especially on Carnivore diet.  You can get it in dehydrated capsules so don't taste it but that is expensive and I'm sure stuff loses potency sitting dried on a shelf.

I used to get nose-to-tail primal ground beef mix  of grass-fed\finished beef + heart, spleen, liver, kidney.  I'd then cut that half with grain fed hamburger and it got it all to where I was ok with it. 
Indians used to pull out the liver of a kill and divide it up amongst all the members of the tribe.  It was like giving everyone an vitamin mega shot.

I heard of people chopping it into small cubes and freezing it raw and just downing a cube a day.  I guess swallowing it frozen helps avoid the taste.  I'd be queasy about raw organ meats unless I did the butchering myself.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 11:08:19 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 01:06:03 AM »
Genetic, you say? I like it, my wife likes it. My sister and her brother like it. Our parents like(d) it and as far as I know their siblings and our grandparents had no issues with it.

My children don't like it.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 08:22:42 AM »
I think liver smells good when it's cooking. But God does it taste like crap. I heard chicken liver might be a little more tolerable. I don't know.
One time I tried making liver in my cast iron pan. The smell of that crap was embedded into the pan for months. So gross!
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 09:39:37 AM »
I'm one of those who can't eat it in any form. I like the smell of it cooking but cannot tolerate eating it. Instant heaves for me. I wish I could eat it but it's out of the question. There are other sources of iron fortunately.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 10:06:28 AM »
I have never cared for liver. My mother loved it smothered in onions. I have always loved my greens. Never had to talk me into eating vegetables, always loved them with my steak and potatoes.

Spinach, mustard greens, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, yummy.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 10:08:15 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 02:44:46 PM »
MMMMM, liver and onions.

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 01:16:19 AM »
I have to agree with other posters.  Liver and onions is great.  Is liking chicken gizzards also a genetic defect?
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 01:20:34 AM »
MMMMMM, chicken gizzards! Unfortunately they don't sell them here for humans, you only can find them in the freezer at an animal food shop. The last time I got them home made was when my parents bought and slaughtered fifty hen. Down in Estonia they're common snacks in restaurants.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 01:25:03 AM »
MMMMMM, chicken gizzards! Unfortunately they don't sell them here for humans, you only can find them in the freezer at an animal food shop. The last time I got them home made was when my parents bought and slaughtered fifty hen. Down in Estonia they're common snacks in restaurants.

That sucks.  They are everywhere here in the South.  From grocery stores to convenient stores.  Even some restaurants serve them. 

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 09:26:06 AM »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2023, 09:48:55 AM »
I've yet to try liver with fava beans and a nice chianti.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.