Author Topic: Need help with RTX 3060  (Read 1209 times)

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
Need help with RTX 3060
« on: January 25, 2023, 06:27:02 PM »
Took over a month but the RTX 3060 arrived today! Pulled out the AMD 7950 Stuck the 3060 in, powers up no video red light appears by pci slot. Have a 750-watt power supply, so I am good there on that! The 7950 had an 8 pin and a 6-pin source.
AkCaine

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
Re: Need help with RTX 3060
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 08:05:47 PM »
Try reseating if you haven’t already. See if you get video with your old card or onboard video. Is the new graphics card used or refurbished?
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 06:09:59 AM »
Silly question. Did you just pop out the AMD card, pop in the Nvidia card and just power up? That's not how you do it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 06:19:19 AM »
Silly question. Did you just pop out the AMD card, pop in the Nvidia card and just power up? That's not how you do it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yeah, should of removed the AMD video drivers before you pulled the AMD video card, then remove it

The resolution will default back to the default windows, but should be able to install new Nvidia card and it boot up and then install the new drivers for it and set it up to the settings you want and can handle (download the new drivers for Nvidia card so you will have them already before starting to swap brands/ cards )

Hopefully I remembered that right!
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 08:57:18 AM »
When changing between AMD and Intel, using Display Driver Uninstaller is recommendable for best performance: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/Display-Driver-Uninstaller-DDU-V18060-Released
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 09:39:32 AM »
did complete uninstall of AMD drivers and notes with no video out. I am concerned with red light on motherboard with 3060 installed.

AkCaine

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 10:00:26 AM »
did complete uninstall of AMD drivers and notes with no video out. I am concerned with red light on motherboard with 3060 installed.

Are the fans on the RTX3060 , spinning at all?  Or nothing?  With the red light on?

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 10:46:03 AM »
I remember I had to update my firmware on my motherboard when I upgraded to the 3060ti. Maybe the same?
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Online SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 11:09:54 AM »
What does the red light specify for your mobo? That would be a good place to start.

:salute
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 12:01:15 PM »

When you did this did you follow the directions Bizman posted? That's the only way to do this when changing cards physically. ESPECIALLY if going from team red to team green or vice versa. YOU HAVE TO use DDU to get rid of everything FIRST. This automates removing a bunch of stuff in the registry you might have a hard time finding if you didn't know what you were doing. Great app. Totally trustworthy.

If you haven't done that, I'd suggest:

Put the AMD card back in. Hopefully there aren't too many knots in it with Windows by just swapping cards and your machine will boot up.

If it does--great.

Download DDU from the link Bizman posted. Unzip it if needed.

Download the latest drivers for your 3060 from NVidia

Have them somewhere you can get to easily like the desktop and ready to go.

Reboot the PC in safe mode---this is important.

From safe mode, run DDU.

Follow the prompts, select AMD graphic drivers.

Select clean and shut down. The PC will shut down.

Swap out your cards.

Disconnect from the internet. Unplug. Whatever. (so windows doesn't install a driver on you quickly)

Restart the PC in normal mode.

It should act as if it's never seen a video card before and you'll have a low res screen.

From here run the NVidia driver setup you downloaded.

This should straighten you out.

Unnless your card is actually DOA and lets hope that's not the case.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 12:10:11 PM »
Spot on, excellent post, Drano

As well as Caine's Motherboard may need a bios update as Dutch posted!

and as you posted pray that the video card is not DOA

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2023, 03:51:55 PM »
Is it getting into the bios? Booting into windows? If he’s not getting to windows it may not be a driver issue.
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2023, 11:11:17 PM »
Just out of curiosity. What is the exact motherboard?
DutchVII / ULDutch
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 12:08:18 AM »
Asus P8Z77-v-pro drivers are up to date. Red light is for vga ,fans turn. Will try 1 more time tomorrow with instructions I have received here. Zotac support said to send it back.
AkCaine

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 01:32:30 AM »
So what I found after a quick search on the intwerwebs. It appears some peeps have the mobo and the 3060 running together. But because it is such an old mobo you need the latest bios. That would be the 2014 version. No mention of the red light on those forums however.
DutchVII / ULDutch