Author Topic: Spy ballons.  (Read 6572 times)

Online MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Re: Spy ballons.
« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2023, 01:13:25 PM »
The previous admin says it didn't happen under his admin. Oh well, aiding and abetting the enemy.

Online MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2023, 01:22:23 PM »
LOL Gman.

Afraid of exploding missiles but have 1000 20mm shell casing dropping out of the sky.

Why didn't the 18s slow down?

Did the balloon reverse direction to enter Icelandic airspace after being in British airspace?

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2023, 02:07:24 PM »
pretty clever to shoot the balloon with a sidewinder without a warhead. Although people on the ground have said they heard a huge boom that made their houses shake.

Do the missiles create a sonic boom?

After hearing it was a sidewinder 9x, I looked it up. Very interesting missile. It's designed to be uses air to air, air to ground, and ground to air without any modifications. Also, I can lock on target several different ways, including visually from the pilot.

Pretty cool.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2023, 02:20:38 PM »
Maybe the plane had to go supersonic to get to 58K.

Side note. It takes a Lancaster III 432 days to get to 58,000 ft. True story.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2023, 02:35:27 PM »
I don't know what your issue is. Seems like you're just trying to downplay any possibility that it's any kind of threat. That's pretty ignorant.

I was wondering in all your internet googling, have you figured why the previous admin felt it was safe to let them penetrate US airspace 3 times before without shooting them down? 

Just watched a interview with little Marco and best I could determine is he felt the states they flew over before were just "some southern states" so I guess those Americans don't need to be protected from cyber drones and rabid flying squirls and such.  I mean with all the "potential" risks, why not shoot down the first one, in the previous admin?

He seemed to get kinda nervous at that point.  I expected him to grab for his water bottle and start guzzling. ;)

In fairness, when the previous guy was warning us about the dangers of "GINA" I thought he was talking about GG. ;)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 03:00:01 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2023, 03:08:16 PM »
I was wondering in all your internet googling, have you figured why the previous admin felt it was safe to let them penetrate US airspace 3 times before without shooting them down? 

Just watched a interview with little Marco and best I could determine is he felt the states they flew over before were just "some southern states" so I guess those Americans don't need to be protected from cyber drones and rabid flying squirls and such.  I mean with all the "potential" risks, why not shoot down the first one, in the previous admin?

In fairness, when the previous guy was warning us about the dangers of "GINA" I thought he was talking about GG. ;)

I was not aware. Doesn't change my opinion that we should never allow any foreign aircraft to violate our airpace.

But I have no details of the previous instances. Can you fill me in on the details? When was Trump notified and where did the balloons travel?

As I said in a previous post   _ usually these things are not brought directly to the President's attention. This current balloon was viewed as a threat important enough to notify the President. I'm not sure what the differences are in the situations. Maybe you have more details.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2023, 03:19:02 PM »
I think the only argument (maybe I'm wrong) is from you downplaying the POTENTIAL threat of these balloons. Of THIS balloon

There is a reason why the balloon was tracked by NORAD and determined (after seeing how it maneuvered and it's target areas) that they needed to notify the President. Things like this do not normally go right to the president. And how many times have you ever heard of us shooting down a surveillance balloon?

what we do know is that it was considered enough of a threat to be shot down and recovered. Biden wanted to shoot it down over Montana.

You seem to be waiting for it to be discovered that it had some kind of weapon on board before you'll even conceded that these balloons should be considered a threat.

Just the potential of what could be on  board - now or in the future, is enough.

My guess is that we are not just going to allow balloons to float across the United States without doing something about it.

Like I said here. There must be a reason why they notified the President directly on this occasion.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2023, 03:21:56 PM »
Maybe you have more details.

You're the Google Girl, GG.  Go do your thing.  I'm sure the usual suspects are denying everything. ;)  We certainly need to investigate the previous incidents thoroughly.  Who knew what and when.  And if not, how to we make sure future admins aren't so sloppily run when it comes to national security.  Maybe another Special Council.

So I'll give them the first one.  You don't want to go whacko and start shooting when there is no apparent immediate threat at first sight.  You would want to watch carefully and be prepared to act.  You then warn them privately that the next "accident" will get shot down.  That would seem prudent.

Second one after a warning?  Light it up.

Third? WTF?  Air balloon super weapons dropping flying monkeys and killer androids to kill us in our sleep...with a SWORD!  Don't these people read the internet???  Maybe you should consider a job in the intel field.  Does the CIA know about your Googling skills?

Fourth?  Maybe it was nappy time.  ;)

Fifth? OK.  I get it.  Makes more sense.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 03:25:52 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2023, 03:34:28 PM »
I did try to google the previous instances and I can't find any specific details. You're the one who brough it up, so I figured you had some knowledge that led you to believe that the events were similar in nature.

Doesn't change my opinion one bit. We should not be allowing any foreign aircraft to fly through our airspace without authorization.

To me this is not a political or party issue. I don't even know why it matters. Biden did the right thing. NORAD was tracking it and saw that it needed to be brought directly to the President's attention.

I know nothing o the other situations.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #174 on: February 05, 2023, 03:40:06 PM »
I figured you had some knowledge that led you to believe that the events were similar in nature.

By similar, do you mean Chinese balloons floating in US airspace?

If it turns out it did happen 3 times in the last admin, would you call that a dereliction of duty?

We might have to wait for the Special Councils report to get all the facts.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #175 on: February 05, 2023, 03:43:59 PM »
By similar I mean did they notify the President in light of the threat? Were the balloons deliberately loitering in US airspace? Same kind of balloons that can maneuver?

Where did they fly over and for how long? Who was aware and who was notified?

Because to be similar, something has to be similar, right?

I literally no nothing of the details. Do you?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2023, 03:48:00 PM »
Where did they fly over and for how long?

Is there some portion of the US you are ok with killer drone balloons flying over?  And some period of time you are OK with? 

I'm thinking Louisiana.  Yeah, I'm definitely OK with that.  Maybe Arkansas.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2023, 04:19:44 PM »
Dude, you're swinging at the fences. I'm not arguing about anything. I don't understand your point. I've said at least three times now that I don't think we should allow balloons or anything else to deliberately violate our airspace.

I've also never said that I think everything needs to be shot down. I even said that about this balloon.

I'd imagine that our airspace is somehow tested and violated dozens of times per year. Just guessing.

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2023, 04:31:41 PM »
Dude, you're swinging at the fences. I'm not arguing about anything. I don't understand your point. I've said at least three times now that I don't think we should allow balloons or anything else to deliberately violate our airspace.

I've also never said that I think everything needs to be shot down. I even said that about this balloon.

I'd imagine that our airspace is somehow tested and violated dozens of times per year. Just guessing.

He's on drugs.  Gotta be.  Wasn't he also the one going on and on about shrooms in another thread before it got locked? 
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2023, 04:34:12 PM »
Dude, you're swinging at the fences. I'm not arguing about anything. I don't understand your point.

Well Dude, or whatever, I'm trying to get a clear yes or no answer out of you.

If it turns out these balloons had penetrated US airspace 3 times in the last admin without being shot down, would you consider that a dereliction of duty?

Or are some penetrations ok? Never mind, forget I asked that last one.

[edit]
It looks like it may have happened under the last admin but they failed to detect it at the time.  Seriously?   I guess incompetence is better than dereliction.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 04:52:32 PM by CptTrips »