Author Topic: How Many Main Arena Maps?  (Read 3981 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: How Many Main Arena Maps?
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2023, 02:17:52 PM »
Oboe if you ever get some free time and update this map rotation grid? Maybe even make it a new sticky for posterity?

I don't know how to make it sticky, but here it is as a Windows Sticky Note  :lol.  This might be another bit of useful information to be on the AH home page...

:salute

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2023, 02:33:49 PM »
Thank you Oboe :cheers:
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2023, 03:46:32 PM »
I don't know how to make it sticky, but here it is as a Windows Sticky Note  :lol.  This might be another bit of useful information to be on the AH home page...

(Image removed from quote.)

:salute

Thanks! What is #12?

Maybe if you omit Buzzsaw it will magically disappear!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2023, 04:29:03 PM »
Thanks! What is #12?

Maybe if you omit Buzzsaw it will magically disappear!
Buzzsaw is farrr from the worst map
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2023, 04:36:25 PM »

That’s certainly subjective to the user. I’m guessing if we had a poll, buzz would rank last.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2023, 04:50:59 PM »
There is no map for slot #12.  I can't recall Hitech's explanation for the gap - but its not without precedent - I understand many tall buildings omit floor #13.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 04:57:38 PM by oboe »

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2023, 06:35:03 PM »
Mindnao is my fav and what I think is a great land mass size for the current numbers. It always produces bigger battles. It tends to condense the players.

ETOMA is the style I prefer.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2023, 07:02:05 PM »
The new version of NDISLES should be up after Oceania. We made some minor changes and upgrades.  :devil
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2023, 07:10:37 PM »
Mindnao is my fav and what I think is a great land mass size for the current numbers. It always produces bigger battles. It tends to condense the players.

ETOMA is the style I prefer.

ND and Baltic’s are always my faves. I still feel Baltic has the best parity of any map. My pennies anyway

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2023, 08:07:43 PM »

I was having great fights on Buzzsaw last night. 

Possibly it helps to be a mercenary...?

- oldman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2023, 09:28:23 PM »

I was having great fights on Buzzsaw last night. 

Possibly it helps to be a mercenary...?

- oldman

When I was on there was only one fight going on (10-1030 PM eastern), all three countries were in the air over the west/center of the map, and it wasn't fun at all. Bish were out numbered there and all it was, was a pick fest by the other countries. Well all countries. If you weren't over 20K you were under the pickers. Got into a fight with an AK in a 38, avoided 4 HO pases and he ran away to regain his alt. By then I had 2 yaks and 3 LAs coming in. Great fun. Logged after that.

Buzzsaw is the worst map unless you want to pick, or grab easy points flattening strats in a GV. 

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2023, 09:35:30 PM »
When I was on there was only one fight going on (10-1030 PM eastern), all three countries were in the air over the west/center of the map, and it wasn't fun at all. Bish were out numbered there and all it was, was a pick fest by the other countries. Well all countries. If you weren't over 20K you were under the pickers. Got into a fight with an AK in a 38, avoided 4 HO pases and he ran away to regain his alt. By then I had 2 yaks and 3 LAs coming in. Great fun. Logged after that.

Buzzsaw is the worst map unless you want to pick, or grab easy points flattening strats in a GV.

Well, I was on about the same time, and on the west side of the map.  It's true that there were alt monkeys, but it's fairly easy to avoid them.  HO passes are the mark of newbs (and some vets) (you know who you are) (*glare*), but also relatively easy to avoid.  I think it pays to fly a mid-war plane, doing so attracts opponents who otherwise might run away.

So...what sort of plane were you flying...?

- oldman

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2023, 07:39:08 AM »

It was opposite prior to your time. Bish had 50 pilots, other two were in the 30s. There have been alt monkeys, why I fly at 15k and drag em to deck.

I think buzzsaw is bad because it makes the sim/game look arcade-ish.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2023, 03:13:09 PM »

Well, I was on about the same time, and on the west side of the map.  It's true that there were alt monkeys, but it's fairly easy to avoid them.  HO passes are the mark of newbs (and some vets) (you know who you are) (*glare*), but also relatively easy to avoid.  I think it pays to fly a mid-war plane, doing so attracts opponents who otherwise might run away.

So...what sort of plane were you flying...?

- oldman

I was flying a pony at about 12-13k which at that location gave me about 8-9k above ground. Took the pony because I knew I was going to be out numbered.

The point was that it wasnt fun. Fighting Yaks and LAs, getting ganged by both sides both sides using a bunch of alt to pick and run. Sure its easy to avoid HOs, and picks for the most part, but where is the fun in that? Check my stats. I have one sortie, for 17 minutes. 5 minutes to get to the "fight" and 12 minutes of dodging lame play.

At least on the "old" maps you can find other fights going on and look for something else. Buzzsaw is all concentrated in the center and at alt. Rarely is it fun. When our squad gets togather we can go off and start something, but its pretty tuff to do alone.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2023, 10:54:19 PM »
There was a map up several months ago that I really liked, but I only saw it the one time.  It had a bunch of hills all over the map.  Anyone remember that one?
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com