Author Topic: Inproving gunnery. This has helped me.  (Read 1258 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Inproving gunnery. This has helped me.
« on: February 17, 2023, 07:52:36 PM »
I'm a year into my return. Great times but my gunnery sucks.

But I found something that is helping. Offline missions.

I spend a good 15 minutes some times more, shooting at fighters before I go online.

Pick your plane and go. Lots of shooting that tends to make me relax. Between Monday night madness and offline match ups I've really have settled down.

Another thing that I did was attaching my stick and throttle to the desk with gaffers tape. Forearm resting on the edge of the desk takes all the bounce out of the aim.

Still suck...but improving  :D

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Inproving gunnery. This has helped me.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 08:11:35 PM »
Good for you!!!

DId you try some of the tips I gave you? If you send me a couple of films Ill adjust a gun site for you that might help. Practice IS the best way to improve.

Im trying something new. Im determined to to get hit/kills in a 109. I just love the plane, but I have the hardest time hitting with the guns. They dont match, and dont fire anything like the 50cals on the american rides I normally use. SO last month I flew only the 109G14 under "fighter", all other fighters I flew under "attack". This way I can keep an eye on my hit% on just the 109G14 very easily. Last month I got it to stay above 5%, and so far this month Im over 8%. Knowing how I was doing has helped me focus in on shooting when I had the shot and not just spraying when I "think" I might have a shot.

Flying for over a year you already have your set of "site pictures" What you have to do is adjust your convergences and site to match those pictures. To me this is much easier than trying to learn a whole new set of site pictures.

Again, if you want my help Im offering to show you what has helped me, a 64 year old guy with glasses and heavy fisted flying for years settle in and start hitting more than now and then.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 04:21:04 AM »

Another thing that I did was attaching my stick and throttle to the desk with gaffers tape. Forearm resting on the edge of the desk takes all the bounce out of the aim.

My solution together with sliding under-desk keyboard tray was four little holes drilled in it and these:

Takes few seconds to remove stick and throttle (TM.16000M & TWCS) when pc needed for other tasks. And my chair has armrests where elbows are resting during the flights.

Still suck...  :joystick:
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 08:07:14 AM »
I use the soft "rubber" non adhesive sticky mats made for putting a cell phone on the dash of a car. Cheap Amazon item. I don't know what they have on them but it's pretty strong. Once you put something on them, it ain't going anyplace. Have to pry things off! I use them for my throttle and quadrants. They're totally reusable too. Just peel them up, clean with soap and water, dry and put them back wherever.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 08:53:13 AM »
I built a setup for my controls. When stowed they are under the desk...

WHen I need then they drop down...

and swing out to lock in position.....

This way they are alway in the right position when I play, and well out of the way when I am using my desk for anything else.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 08:55:28 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 11:37:12 AM »
I'm happy and glad that you came back, nopoop!

As for your gunnery, how do you use manual trim, automatic combat trim, scaling etc...

Knowing what you are using as your scaling, settings.etc, will help the AH Trainers as well as others like Fugitive, Shane, Drano, Violator etc... help you and give you advice on finding out what works best for you on your gunnery...

:salute:cheers:   :old:

TC  / Johnny

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 12:03:44 PM »
I find if I  shoot higher,  lead more shooting sooner than I think I should I sometimes usually I have more strikes

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 02:12:50 PM »
Fugi I have to make some films. The main thing I'm learning practicing via missions is "gravity". It is modeled well and is taking time to learn it in my gunnery.

My gunnery with spit cannons is pretty good. I can hit stuff lol.

With  German cannons I can't hit squat.  I suck with a thud. Not much better with Japanese cannon. 50's not half bad.

Scaling in roll is 100%. Probably 80% in pitch. 100% is too touchy. At 80% with a forearm rest is sweet.

I have started using "attack"  in  a similar way as you do. I use attack for sorties where I just wanna get in fights or flying aircraft that I want to learn. 190's 47's Ponies etc.

"Fighter" sorties for flying aircraft that I am comfortable in and have flown alot.  Brewster, spit VIII etc.

Fighter sorties for a decent K/D. Flying smart lol. "Attack" for hair on fire...

Fugi I'd love to try your gunsight.

Flying smart has actually has produced the FIRST positive K/D since I have returned..

But I still love lighting my hair on fire...

Thanks all !!

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 10:49:02 PM »
Wasn’t aware of these missions. Pretty nice! Can you turn on the gunsight computer like in normal offline?
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 04:55:04 AM »
Wasn’t aware of these missions. Pretty nice! Can you turn on the gunsight computer like in normal offline?

If you are referring to the lead computing site where it gives you the green X, I'm pretty sure you can!
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 12:54:53 PM »

If it is in a Custom Arena, you can turn on the Lead Computing Gunsight.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Kini

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 11:09:59 AM »
Is there a key combo that enables the lead computing sight for offline practice? I just went through every option in popup menus from the tower and the hanger couldn't find an option to turn it on.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 12:47:59 PM »
Is there a key combo that enables the lead computing sight for offline practice? I just went through every option in popup menus from the tower and the hanger couldn't find an option to turn it on.

Not sure if it works for the missions but does for the offline practice. http://www.kentwoodstation.com/ArenaSetup/ComputedGunsights.html
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2023, 12:52:07 PM »
Cool setup Fugitive!

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Kini

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2023, 05:12:23 PM »
Not sure if it works for the missions but does for the offline practice. http://www.kentwoodstation.com/ArenaSetup/ComputedGunsights.html

Thank you.  :D