Author Topic: Two Jugs  (Read 407 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Two Jugs
« on: March 27, 2023, 03:55:35 PM »
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Re: Two Jugs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 04:04:31 PM »
Wow that looks bigger than I expected but maybe it’s just the scale of the smaller one. What version is that one?

Feels like our in game 47’s might be modeled on the smaller side?

Btw I clicked two jugs blindly and am glad it worked out for me!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 04:08:34 PM »
Wow that looks bigger than I expected but maybe it’s just the scale of the smaller one. What version is that one?

Feels like our in game 47’s might be modeled on the smaller side?

No, the in-game Jugs are scaled correctly.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 06:04:34 PM »
That RC model sure is purdy!   :aok
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 06:06:43 PM »
No, the in-game Jugs are scaled correctly.

I’m sure they are. I’ve never been up close to one unfortunately.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 03:14:38 PM »
I’m sure they are. I’ve never been up close to one unfortunately.

I have... a girl on the second floor was waving down at me.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 09:32:02 AM »
Tail number indicates this Jug was manufactured in 1942.  Model P47D-5-RE.   If I recall correctly RE indicates it was made at the Evanston Plant.

White tail stripe is an early mark painted along with a white cowling (not visible) so as to identify it as NOT being an FW-190.  Buff gunners shot first then asked questions later.

Sometimes allied fighters also made the same mistake until these markings were added.

Upon further research this has to be a restoration/replica of Capt. Walker Mahurins' 63rdFS/56th D-5.  UN is proper for the 56th. in place of the I in reality was an M.  Also missing are the words Spirit of Atlantic City painted on after the UN. The tail number and the striped tail and white cowling are correct.

Mahurin was flying this P47D-5 out of Halesworth in March of 1944.  I have a color plate of this P47 and the tail numbers match exactly.  This is undoubtedly a restoration of a D-5 to replicate Mahurins' P47 D-5!

He was one of the many aces of the 56th.  The ETOs' highest scoring FG.                                                                             
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 10:27:04 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 09:34:03 PM »
Tail number indicates this Jug was manufactured in 1942.  Model P47D-5-RE.   If I recall correctly RE indicates it was made at the Evanston Plant.

White tail stripe is an early mark painted along with a white cowling (not visible) so as to identify it as NOT being an FW-190.  Buff gunners shot first then asked questions later.

Sometimes allied fighters also made the same mistake until these markings were added.

Upon further research this has to be a restoration/replica of Capt. Walker Mahurins' 63rdFS/56th D-5.  UN is proper for the 56th. in place of the I in reality was an M.  Also missing are the words Spirit of Atlantic City painted on after the UN. The tail number and the striped tail and white cowling are correct.

Mahurin was flying this P47D-5 out of Halesworth in March of 1944.  I have a color plate of this P47 and the tail numbers match exactly.  This is undoubtedly a restoration of a D-5 to replicate Mahurins' P47 D-5!

He was one of the many aces of the 56th.  The ETOs' highest scoring FG.                                                                             
[/quote

Whoa! Great info! :salute