Author Topic: Oboe, are you going to paint it ??  (Read 183 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Oboe, are you going to paint it ??
« on: April 02, 2023, 10:52:07 AM »
Oh please.

Excuse my drool...

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Oboe, are you going to paint it ??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 11:00:55 AM »
It's on my list nopoop!   How did we get this far without Gabby's Jug being skinned? 

The D-Day stripes configuration are very unique on this bird, too.  No black stripes on the upper wing surfaces, and none on the fuselage stripes either.  But the white fuselage stripes are outlined with black!  Did the ground crew not read the field order very closely?

I just wish I had Devil's skill with the airbrush - Gabby asked for the Luftwaffe style of camo blending of the grey and green when they field-applied camo to the 56th's Thunderbolts.

I could also do the version with the upper fuselage stripes removed, but that apparently only lasted for one mission - he plowed into the field during a strafing run and was captured in July '44.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 11:20:20 AM by oboe »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 11:27:38 AM »
I just wish I had Devil's skill with the airbrush - Gabby asked for the Luftwaffe style of camo blending of the grey and green.

Even though I generally use a drawing pad and stylus for this kind of cammo, you can get decent results by using the airbrush tool set to 30-40% opacity and rapidly clicking the mouse button while dragging the cursor and shaking it a little to add some randomness. Not sure I'd want to do a whole skin like this, but it's worked well enough for small areas.

The key is to build up the color slowly and don't be afraid to experiment with the brush widths to achieve the level of overspray you're trying to mimic. There isn't a universal setting that works in all cases - hell, you might need to use different settings on different parts of the same skins due to differences in the scaling.

Also, I had this image of Gabby's Jug kicking around on my machine. Looks like a legit color photo to me.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 12:12:31 PM »
Thanks Devil.   I actually bought a Wacom tablet but simply could not develop the coordination to use it effectively.  Could not get a feel for getting the stylus tip to the pad.  It always felt wrong, I think because my hand was so far away from the screen where my drawing marks were appearing, if that makes any sense.   I may dig it out and try it again.

I actually saw Gabby at an air show once.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 12:53:48 PM »
Thanks Devil.   I actually bought a Wacom tablet but simply could not develop the coordination to use it effectively.  Could not get a feel for getting the stylus tip to the pad.  It always felt wrong, I think because my hand was so far away from the screen where my drawing marks were appearing, if that makes any sense.   I may dig it out and try it again.
I don't remember having much of an adjustment period at first, but it hard to remember. I've had the same tablet since 2012.

I figure you're placing the tablet flat on your desk. To me it's hard to use like this.

Assuming you're right-handed, hold the tablet with your left hand under the left hand side and let the right hand end rest on your leg above your knee. This will allow you to easily twist and tilt the tablet so that you can easily find the hand movements with your right hand that makes true vertical and horizontal movements. I also rest my right pinkie finger between the first and second knuckles on the tablet surface to maintain proper distance and movement speed.

I actually saw Gabby at an air show once.

Cool!

I've always loved his Jug ever since I saw a photo of a restored warbird in a facsimile of this scheme in the 1989 Ghosts calendar. 
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com