Author Topic: How are we as players going to fix this gameplay?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
How are we as players going to fix this gameplay?
« on: April 03, 2023, 12:38:41 PM »
So I've been noticing for a while that it seems like both knights and rooks are relentlessly ganging bish until they are forced to fight each other. Yesterday Knits took 45% of bish bases while the rooks were also fighting bish. The bish had 12 freaking players on until 4pm, where only 5-8 where actively flying. Rooks and knits had about 25-29 players each where about 20 on avg were on the board.

Then the knights finally start going after Rooks. The Rooks put up a small fight but still many of them wanted to continue to fight bish. Eventually knits captured a couple of rook base but then were halted by about 6 or so rooks who kept them from capturing more. The whole day it was practically ganging on bish and then tiny little fights vs rooks and knits. Then about 6-8pm the rooks got tired of fighting knits and it was back to fighting Bish. The fights were measly all day for the knits. I expected more from the rooks. I've been noticing this trend. It's creating very poor gameplay. There could have been some great battles between rooks and knits but they insisted on taking out a side with 10 players. I feel like the community is going to need to fix this issue. It was tough to find some battles all afternoon and evening yesterday that were worth it to roll. Then I finally move to bish to help out and the fight totally died. Was frustrating for me. I'm not sure how to solve this issue, but its making gameplay pretty stale when 2 sides are jumping one side all day.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 12:40:40 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: How are we as players going to fix this gameplay?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 12:54:42 PM »
When I am a knight at 8pm est I find that usually no one fights us

Yes they then roll basically undefended bases..

I switched to rook the other night just to have something to shoot at

These lower subscriber numbers indicate the game should be reduced to 2 sides imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline MDStampf93

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 01:10:09 PM »

These lower subscriber numbers indicate the game should be reduced to 2 sides imo

Eagler

Agreed.
MDStampf - JG11 'Sonderstaffel'
Sgt Stampfli, USMC

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 01:10:30 PM »
Were we in the same maps? I was on from 8-11 est and most of the action was knights vs rooks. I personally made three Lanc runs to a knight vbase that was busy the whole time.

Never once has any side stopped attacking another side because a third side was attacking it. This is a silly complaint that needs to end. The development alone of two sides makes it a moot point. You all should be careful what you wish for. Two sides changes the dynamic of this game almost completely.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 03:38:03 PM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 02:33:58 PM »
So I've been noticing for a while that it seems like both knights and rooks are relentlessly ganging bish until they are forced to fight each other. Yesterday Knits took 45% of bish bases while the rooks were also fighting bish. The bish had 12 freaking players on until 4pm, where only 5-8 where actively flying. Rooks and knits had about 25-29 players each where about 20 on avg were on the board.

Then the knights finally start going after Rooks. The Rooks put up a small fight but still many of them wanted to continue to fight bish. Eventually knits captured a couple of rook base but then were halted by about 6 or so rooks who kept them from capturing more. The whole day it was practically ganging on bish and then tiny little fights vs rooks and knits. Then about 6-8pm the rooks got tired of fighting knits and it was back to fighting Bish. The fights were measly all day for the knits. I expected more from the rooks. I've been noticing this trend. It's creating very poor gameplay. There could have been some great battles between rooks and knits but they insisted on taking out a side with 10 players. I feel like the community is going to need to fix this issue. It was tough to find some battles all afternoon and evening yesterday that were worth it to roll. Then I finally move to bish to help out and the fight totally died. Was frustrating for me. I'm not sure how to solve this issue, but its making gameplay pretty stale when 2 sides are jumping one side all day.

If there wasn't double the numbers on bish for such a long time
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2023, 04:05:47 PM »
Were we in the same maps? I was on from 8-11 est and most of the action was knights vs rooks. I personally made three Lanc runs to a knight vbase that was busy the whole time.

Never once has any side stopped attacking another side because a third side was attacking it. This is a silly complaint that needs to end. The development alone of two sides makes it a moot point. You all should be careful what you wish for. Two sides changes the dynamic of this game almost completely.

Here is my picture for proof taken at 2:54 yesterday. Now, I am not saying we should move to 2 teams, and this isn't a complaint. I am simply pointing out to the community how we can make the gameplay more enjoyable for all sides. It seems so many times when I log that both sides are jumping the bish and I am trying to discuss why that might be and how we can get all sides to partake in combat rather than gang jumping one side with the low #s. 

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2023, 04:18:50 PM »
When I am a knight at 8pm est I find that usually no one fights us

Yes they then roll basically undefended bases..

I switched to rook the other night just to have something to shoot at

Eagler

The 2 country concept and debate goes back decades. There are some reasonable reasons for 3 instead of 2. One is so that one country can never, most likely not, dominate the maps, if it gets too big. If ones gets too big the other just falls to dust, no fights to have. There are other reasons, but a lot of thought was put into these debates, even back in AW days, where 3 countries pretty much started. In the end, it always ended up it's the better concept in the long run.

IMO, 2 countries will not change the gameplay for the better. I'm sure you have your reasons to disagree, and that's fine. I just don't see much traction there.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2023, 04:26:56 PM »
Here is my picture for proof taken at 2:54 yesterday. Now, I am not saying we should move to 2 teams, and this isn't a complaint. I am simply pointing out to the community how we can make the gameplay more enjoyable for all sides. It seems so many times when I log that both sides are jumping the bish and I am trying to discuss why that might be and how we can get all sides to partake in combat rather than gang jumping one side with the low #s. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Wasn’t referring to you specifically but it’s a super common MA complaint. I can see both sides. Unless it’s a flip a switch to go from three to two and back then back to three if number increase then it’s a viable option to explore. Animl mentioned another good radon to stay at three.

What time zone are you in? I try hard only limit myself to playing at night any time between 7P-12A EST. Way too easy to log in and before you know it its next Thursday. Looks like I’m picking the best times I guess.

Lush e can come with the receipts for us but there were over 40 each side when I hopped on last night around 830-9.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 04:53:08 PM »
So I've been noticing for a while that it seems like both knights and rooks are relentlessly ganging bish until they are forced to fight each other.

Try logging on around 9am EDT.  You will usually find the Bish outnumber both other countries combined.  That morning, at 9am, it was Bish 17, Knit 8, and Rook 3.  Bish were attacking Rooks and ignoring the Knits who were attacking them.  (Apparently the Knits got carried away.   :D)

Though the sides were unbalanced, at least the two low-numbered sides were both fighting the higher number.  Often, one of the low-numbered sides will align with the higher -- THAT is a common problem to be solved by players.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 04:56:01 PM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 04:56:20 PM »
Though the sides were unbalanced, at least the two low-numbered sides were attacking the higher number.  Often, one of the low-numbered sides will align with the higher -- THAT is a common problem to be solved by players.

I think in the end with are always left with the caveat of Dale can’t fix human nature.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 04:57:51 PM by Dadtallica »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2023, 05:08:52 PM »
2 sides with forced side balancing

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 05:13:25 PM »
Try logging on around 9am EDT.  You will usually find the Bish outnumber both other countries combined.  That morning, at 9am, it was Bish 17, Knit 8, and Rook 3.  Bish were attacking Rooks and ignoring the Knits who were attacking them.  (Apparently the Knits got carried away.   :D)

Though the sides were unbalanced, at least the two low-numbered sides were both fighting the higher number.  Often, one of the low-numbered sides will align with the higher -- THAT is a common problem to be solved by players.

Ahh, yeah it's crazy, I logged in a few minutes ago, same map and the bish have recaptured all of those bases. It seems to me, and I've seen this before, is that one squad is causing a lot of rifraff in the morning when no one else is playing, thus forcing both teams to gang them to reclaim those bases for the rest of the day. Once the #s build up during later hours it's not so bad, but during the afternoon on the weekends it makes for stale gameplay. That is why I'm trying to figure out what the community can do to solve this issue. Whats it's gonna take to have the knights and rooks fight each other more?

2 sides with forced side balancing

Eagler

Unfortunately you will have squads quit over that, which won't be good.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 05:26:08 PM »
Yep God forbid they have to fight each other

Many of us could give a flip

Eagler

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 05:30:21 PM »
Your picture isnt a good example since Bish own Rook bases.  If Bish are busy it stands to reason that Rooks should take some of their bases back.  They are also trying to win and human nature will always favor the easier base takes when trying to catch up.  Teams will attack the path of least resistance.   Even when I am the only person online for a team people will stop attacking and go against the other side that isnt interested in defending.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2023, 06:34:13 PM »
I think in the end with are always left with the caveat of Dale can’t fix human nature.

ahhhh but I think he can   :cool:

If Hitech added some code to force teams to switch fronts it would help that. Say Bish take two bases from the KNights, the code makes it so the Bish cant capture another Knight base until they capture one base from the Rooks. That would force a team to continually switch fronts to advance to win the war. No running a team to being down 45% of their bases.

Another thing he could do is once a team hits 25% of one of the other teams base capture he could make the towns harder to kill, regenerate faster, or make it take more troops to capture. There are a number of ways Hitech could "fix human nature". It just takes some creative programming and he has already proved he can do that.

We as players are never going to be able to "fix" any of this. Its human nature to take the easy path, and its easier to continue rolling bases against a team that is already beaten down.

Most players dont care about whether there are any fights. The vast majority are looking to spawn camp  for easy kills, grab undefended bases, or sneak them, and if they are looking for kills in a fighter they look to pick and run and when they are forced to fight all they do is HO. Most wouldnt know an "aircombat maneuver" if you hit them in the head with one.