Author Topic: My other German helmet hobby  (Read 146 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
My other German helmet hobby
« on: April 23, 2023, 03:56:24 PM »
Before I started collecting, I bought a M35 helmet shell off ebay for 50 or 60 bucks and sent it to an online helmet restorer. Said to myself, I can do that and bought another shell.

After getting to know the Ace hardware paint guy on a first name basis I finally had the apple green paint. Stripped it multiple times.  Added decals and Started doing restoration helmets on ebay. Sold quite a few.

But there was a seller on ebay that was head over heels better than anything being sold.  His restorations ROCKED. Turned out he lived an hour away. I had tried doing camos but I just couldn't figure out how to do it. I stripped helmet shells MANY times with poor results.
Finally he told me, bring a shell to the house and I'll show you. But, you can never sell from that time on. DEAL !!

Still have that helmet after twenty years.

Another that I painted after that day.

Unpacked after the move, opened the toat in the garage and I have all of these..
I've got the itch. Want to do up a couple of these. It's fun. Got the RAL numbers for  paint, decals from France along with aluminum oxide. Gotta find a paint guy and do a couple up

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..