Author Topic: Couple of questions from a new player  (Read 935 times)

Offline Pixelazer

• Zinc Member
Couple of questions from a new player
« on: May 08, 2023, 10:15:27 PM »
Hallo chaps. I'm completely new to Aces High, and had a few questions.

1. Are any servers aside from the Melee server still active? (particularly the WWI servers) I see a lot of posts about how there used to be a lot of players, so how bad is it now? Even on the Melee server, I have only seen a grand total of 12 people online.
2. What role do squadrons perform in-game? How do I join one?
3. I've heard tell of a high-resolution texture pack for AH3, but I can't find the download for it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Pixelazr | #1 Bipe Fan

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Couple of questions from a new player
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 10:47:05 PM »
Melee is generally the most active server during evening in USA.

Squads allow long term co-operation and have an additional radio channel. You'll likely get invited to a squad when you find one you fit in.

The hi rez textures are already included in the current version.

Offline Pixelazer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 11:00:23 PM »
Melee is generally the most active server during evening in USA.

Squads allow long term co-operation and have an additional radio channel. You'll likely get invited to a squad when you find one you fit in.

The hi rez textures are already included in the current version.

Ah, thank you for the answers. Problem is, I live in India, and evening in the USA is generally early morning here. Hardly feasible for me to get up at 5 to play Aces High  :joystick:
Pixelazr | #1 Bipe Fan

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 01:27:29 AM »
India is a very big country, possibly you could recruit some other players in your time zone.   :aok

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 06:15:45 AM »
Ah, thank you for the answers. Problem is, I live in India, and evening in the USA is generally early morning here. Hardly feasible for me to get up at 5 to play Aces High  :joystick:

Oh you will.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Pixelazer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 11:31:23 AM »
India is a very big country, possibly you could recruit some other players in your time zone.   :aok

Trust me, attempts are being made.  :devil

Oh you will.

Haha, I don't doubt that. But for now, at least, I value sleep more than levelling buildings.
Pixelazr | #1 Bipe Fan

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 12:58:36 PM »
Welcome aboard Pixelazer, as you can see we have some wonderful players in this game eager to help new players.  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Pixelazer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 01:07:23 PM »
Welcome aboard Pixelazer, as you can see we have some wonderful players in this game eager to help new players.  :salute
Appreciate the welcome. :cheers:
Pixelazr | #1 Bipe Fan

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2023, 08:23:30 AM »
Appreciate the welcome. :cheers:

Plz feel free to ask any questions and many will be happy to help!

Hope you stick around and have fun.  We have players from all around the world and many go out of their way to attend the events AH has.

:salute

Offline Pixelazer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 08:52:58 AM »

Plz feel free to ask any questions and many will be happy to help!

Hope you stick around and have fun.  We have players from all around the world and many go out of their way to attend the events AH has.

:salute

Thank you for the welcome, again. I come here from War Thunder so it's quite pleasant to see no one's dunking on the devs  :)
If you don't mind me asking another question, can I set time fuzes on my bombs? I've blown myself up more than once now.
Pixelazr | #1 Bipe Fan

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 09:30:19 AM »
There are no timed fuses in AH but you can set the salvo[amount of bombs released per button push] and you can set the delay [time between bomb releases].

They are simple dot commands such as .salvo 2 that you type into the message box. Then you can set .delay .25 this will set a 1/4 second delay between bombs,by default it’s set to release a single bomb and a .05 second release time.

Btw you need a minimum alt of 800 ft for the bomb fuses to activate,with speed you can drop below that alt but the bomb must travel 1000 ft to be active. So going 350mph you could drop below 800 ft as the bomb will travel forward and down and once it travels 1000 ft it’s active but as you know you can blow yourself up.

If you look at the top of this forum,help and training you will see a list of dot commands.

Hope that helps and have fun.

<S>

Offline Pixelazer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2023, 01:23:32 PM »
There are no timed fuses in AH but you can set the salvo[amount of bombs released per button push] and you can set the delay [time between bomb releases].

They are simple dot commands such as .salvo 2 that you type into the message box. Then you can set .delay .25 this will set a 1/4 second delay between bombs,by default it’s set to release a single bomb and a .05 second release time.

Btw you need a minimum alt of 800 ft for the bomb fuses to activate,with speed you can drop below that alt but the bomb must travel 1000 ft to be active. So going 350mph you could drop below 800 ft as the bomb will travel forward and down and once it travels 1000 ft it’s active but as you know you can blow yourself up.

If you look at the top of this forum,help and training you will see a list of dot commands.

Hope that helps and have fun.

<S>

Interesting. So my bombs are duds if they don't fly 1000ft?
Thanks for the advice anyway, I'll look at the list.
Pixelazr | #1 Bipe Fan

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2023, 03:11:14 PM »
A .help command will bring up a list of dot commands on your clipboard online.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2023, 08:22:58 PM »
Interesting. So my bombs are duds if they don't fly 1000ft?
Thanks for the advice anyway, I'll look at the list.

Yes.  In real life bombs had to travel a certain distance before they would arm, otherwise they might blow up while still on the plane, or shortly after release.  Bombs would have a small propeller on the front or on the tail fin.  That propeller was wired so it would not start turning until released from the plane.  After it was released, the propeller would have to turn a certain number of times before the fuse was armed.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com