Author Topic: Anybody ever gone solar?  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Anybody ever gone solar?
« on: May 27, 2023, 11:44:13 AM »
Just pulled the trigger on it and about to get my whole roof done.  Anything I should expect?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Anybody ever gone solar?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 11:58:11 AM »
Last winter the price of electricity went stellar at times and the panel owners were happy as they got a good price for the daytime production - especially if they were working instead of staying home and consuming electricity.

Now they struggle trying to consume all the energy they produce. The price has sunk to zero but you still have to pay for the transfer.

If you have batteries to store the energy you produce it's just a different way of life. I know a guy whose annual electricity bill is similar to my average month. There's differences in our lifestyles, though. I would compare him to a semi-amish hippie, living alone in a hundred years old cabin and doing little farming including some sheep and chicken.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 01:59:57 PM »
I would compare him to a semi-amish hippie, living alone in a hundred years old cabin and doing little farming including some sheep and chicken.

Life goals! :old:
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 02:27:39 PM »
it depends where you live and what are your local rules for selling energy back to the network. I bought a house year ago, put  10kW on the roof and i'm very happy i did. With current prices / rules, investment will pay itself back in 3 - 4 years tops. After that, my energy bill will be lower then my trash removal.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 03:20:19 AM »
Well they came and do the roof walk yesterday and we went over the numbers again and I'm figuring it will cut my electricity bill by about 80% and when mom and dad move to the next plane my bill will be effectively zero except for the monthly payment. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 06:53:25 AM »
What's the payback?

$20 to $30k is alot of monthly electric bills...

More like a prepper move imo

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 07:59:58 AM »
What's the payback?

Eagler

that's really expensive. I paid like 9k usd for 10kW

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2023, 08:45:18 AM »
What's the payback?

Eagler

Essentially free non interrupted electricity for the foreseeable future? With the rebate it's a wash. 

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2023, 09:52:41 AM »
What has the installer / manufacturer indicated is the life of the panels? From what I have seen / read the average home panel set has a life of between 10 to 20 years, absent damage like hail and so on. I have thought about solar myself but at this time my average electricity bill in the summer is about $80 to $100 a month. In the cold part of winter (roughly 3 to 4 months) it goes up to as high as $150 a month but usually lower. Given the overall cost of power it doesn't seem worth the investment as the local power company does not buy the excess.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 02:51:49 PM »
Mine runs upwards of $400 a month soo....

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 09:33:35 AM »
There are a lot of scams out there. Some are from big companies. Look over your paperwork good before signing and check out the company.

I would not put it on a shingled roof. Metal roof only. The whole unit has to be removed to reshingle your home.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023, 11:55:36 AM »
metal here.. I'm good. 

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 12:03:44 PM »
With or without battery storage?

Batteries add mucho $$$$ to the total

If you don't have major power outages batteries might not be needed but the system is toast in heavy clouds and at night without them

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2023, 06:33:33 AM »
ya picking up a battery with the rebate... pops has a breathing machine he uses at night or he could die.  So I'm thinking a battery is a wise investment at this point

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2023, 10:05:34 AM »
You probably need to think in multiples of battery given the real serious nature of keeping power going for your Dad.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown