Author Topic: COMBAT CHALLENGE XLIII  (Read 1462 times)

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
COMBAT CHALLENGE XLIII
« on: May 30, 2023, 07:01:50 PM »
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
Re: COMBAT CHALLENGE XLIII
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 05:43:21 AM »
FRIDAY!!!  FRIDAY!!! FRIDAY!!!

COMBAT CHALLENGE 43

Bring your squaddies! Bring your friends! It's going to be nasty furball.  :t

Dogfight'n be like....

The battle starts at 11 pm EST. in SEA 1.

See You There!
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 10:42:23 AM »
These are going to be quite the fights, especially the first hour. With the guns being super weak, I could see some very drawn out big furballs haha. Should be fun!

IMO, I'd suggest maybe changing the Dhog to the Chog, just because the nik gets 4 500 nasty cannons. The 50s for this type of fight is a weakness compared to the 20s just because snapshots are so important in furballs. The axis gets cannons in the first hour with the A6M, even though horrible guns, they are still effective. So I think it might be fair that the allied gets the Chog in the second hour to compete with the NIK. The C and Dhog bascially have the same performance.

Just my thoughts and thanks for hosting!  :salute
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 05:28:36 PM »
These are going to be quite the fights, especially the first hour. With the guns being super weak, I could see some very drawn out big furballs haha. Should be fun!

IMO, I'd suggest maybe changing the Dhog to the Chog, just because the nik gets 4 500 nasty cannons. The 50s for this type of fight is a weakness compared to the 20s just because snapshots are so important in furballs. The axis gets cannons in the first hour with the A6M, even though horrible guns, they are still effective. So I think it might be fair that the allied gets the Chog in the second hour to compete with the NIK. The C and Dhog bascially have the same performance.

It’s a pacific themed combat challenge?

Chuikov

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 06:00:51 PM »
It’s a pacific themed combat challenge?

Yes, you can click on the underlined giant  text in the first post for more details. 
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 05:32:58 AM »

This is a good point. I have considered and did a little research before responding to your comments and request. Understanding... The N1K2-J is pretty vicious in a close dogfight. If the guns could be toned down, I would have likely taken that option initially, but that is all that is offered in the Nikky. The F4U1-C and D are the same bird built in parallel on the assembly line. These two aircraft have the same performance specs.

There are those of you that are not canon shooters, you could aim the things if you tried. Yet and still, there are those of you that have the rhythm for them.

So I don't see why enabling both Corsairs is a bad thing. Now... I hope to see all 300 of you in the arena Friday night.

SEE YOU THERE!

Thanks for posting in the thread.

:salute

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 07:32:47 AM »
This is a good point. I have considered and did a little research before responding to your comments and request. Understanding... The N1K2-J is pretty vicious in a close dogfight. If the guns could be toned down, I would have likely taken that option initially, but that is all that is offered in the Nikky. The F4U1-C and D are the same bird built in parallel on the assembly line. These two aircraft have the same performance specs.

There are those of you that are not canon shooters, you could aim the things if you tried. Yet and still, there are those of you that have the rhythm for them.

So I don't see why enabling both Corsairs is a bad thing. Now... I hope to see all 300 of you in the arena Friday night.

SEE YOU THERE!

Thanks for posting in the thread.

Thanks for the consideration! I just want it to be as fair as possible. If you need a 3rd plane for the Axis, you can always throw the Tony Ki61 in there for measure.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 10:27:23 AM »
Thanks for the consideration! I just want it to be as fair as possible. If you need a 3rd plane for the Axis, you can always throw the Tony Ki61 in there for measure.

Fair? The axis have Ki-84's, and N1K's, against F6f's, and D hogs, Should be a -4 to be "fair".

The Ki-84 is a monster in AH. It's not hampered by poor quality fuel, or production issues. The N1K is no slouch either with it's laser beam cannons.

A more balanced set would be the N1k, and Ki-61. Those of us that fly the blue planes do appreciate being thrown a bone, but I'll probably fly axis.

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2023, 11:36:46 AM »
Fair? The axis have Ki-84's, and N1K's, against F6f's, and D hogs, Should be a -4 to be "fair".

The Ki-84 is a monster in AH. It's not hampered by poor quality fuel, or production issues. The N1K is no slouch either with it's laser beam cannons.

A more balanced set would be the N1k, and Ki-61. Those of us that fly the blue planes do appreciate being thrown a bone, but I'll probably fly axis.

Well, he said he would throw in the Chog, which I think would be more beneficial than the 4hog for furballing purposes simply based on snapshots and "time to kill". Atleast for me, I know the Chog bullets will work rather than chasing a plane around pinging with 50s long enough for me to get picked from a quick shot plane with 20mm.

Keep in mind that Hogs and F6F can both out turn and out dive the Nik and Ki84, plus are faster. Literally the only advantage the ki84 has is acceleration on the deck and its 20mm. They are great in the MA from a defensive situation generally from that one advantage, it's pretty fast but cannot dive faster than 450.

This fight tomorrow for the allied will all be about how well they can use their planes advantage and not get tied down in the low n slow furball on the deck. If I were allies, I'd drag planes out to get a 1v1 situation and then go in hard on the 1v1 fight with flaps. Do NOT try to rope Niks and KIs.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 11:40:14 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2023, 11:59:23 AM »
Gentlemen,

At this point, the only thing that has been added is 20mm canon for the Allies. Otherwise, it's really the same airplane.

The only other thing that is needed is something that "No" CM can provide. That is a Fighter pilot's fighting skill.

So you guys better bring them with you. No more changes at this point.

See you tomorrow night!

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2023, 12:48:13 PM »
Well, he said he would throw in the Chog, which I think would be more beneficial than the 4hog for furballing purposes simply based on snapshots and "time to kill". Atleast for me, I know the Chog bullets will work rather than chasing a plane around pinging with 50s long enough for me to get picked from a quick shot plane with 20mm.

Keep in mind that Hogs and F6F can both out turn and out dive the Nik and Ki84, plus are faster. Literally the only advantage the ki84 has is acceleration on the deck and its 20mm. They are great in the MA from a defensive situation generally from that one advantage, it's pretty fast but cannot dive faster than 450.

This fight tomorrow for the allied will all be about how well they can use their planes advantage and not get tied down in the low n slow furball on the deck. If I were allies, I'd drag planes out to get a 1v1 situation and then go in hard on the 1v1 fight with flaps. Do NOT try to rope Niks and KIs.

Fair points, but the turn advantage only works until the they decide to convert into a vertical fight, and at lower alts dive speed is moot with the superior acceleration of the axis planes. 

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
      • Arabian Knights Official Web Page
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2023, 01:49:39 PM »
That first hour looks like a dizzying knife fight.  That should be a good warm up for hour 2.
AKShrike - CO Arabian Knights
USA!!!
http://aksquad.net/
USAF 85-95

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2023, 02:31:59 PM »
All,

We may need to swap out the arenas for tonight's event. SEA I seems to be exhibiting signs of distress. Please be on the lookout. If SEA I is not accessible, just jump over to SEA II.

Cheers...

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2023, 03:08:24 PM »
Great News!

Everything is squared away with SEA I and the arena is set for tonights event.

See you there in SEA I!

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2023, 07:52:34 AM »
Combat Challenge XLIII Scoring Leader Boards

Thanks all for attending last night's furball. Great fun!

We learned some things for next time and hope to see more of you out for COMBAT CHALLENGE XLIV!