Author Topic: Japan  (Read 436 times)

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
Japan
« on: June 18, 2023, 06:51:09 AM »
Anyone here located in Japan.  Headed over for a month for work.  Had some questions.

Tim
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: Japan
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 09:53:29 AM »
Decline any invitation to the Gozilla petting zoo.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 06:51:24 PM »
Go to a maid cafe  :aok
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 09:48:10 AM »
Decline any invitation to the Gozilla petting zoo.

:rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 07:38:30 AM »

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 11:25:52 AM »
Been to Japan a couple of times.

Some things me my girlfriend at the time stood out:

English teachers (in the mid-90s) had worse English skills than many 15 year old non-native students have in communicating, they understand written language much better than listening to the same sentences spoken.
Don't rely on directions from someone you don't know, if they don't know they just point you somewhere they think the place are. (Google Maps eliminated that somewhat, but Japanese letters are hard to type), and most cant speak English at all.
Taxi, reliable and very expensive, if you have the place in written Japanese.
Trains is the way to travel in Japan quick and always on time, we did try to fly a 747 domestic trip once, they had to put me in the exit row for my knees to fit.

Awesome museums, and parks all over Japan

In Hiroshima they have rewritten the history to the extent it pissed me off, very little remorse of the history before, and much of the tragedy of the actual bombing.
Kyoto is beautiful, but hard to find yourself around.¨
Tokyo  with all you want if you have the money for the housing.
Nagoya, and Kobe : We were fortunate to have a Japanese girl with us a-English teacher with us we met in Australia a year before, so we were the first westerners going to places we would never have thought of.

We even went to her wedding in Hiroshima the year after, but that's another story.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 04:35:28 PM »

If I were going, I'd load up Google Lens on my phone.

It can do some crazy stuff like translate text realtime and stick it back in to replace. 

Would be great for deciphering signs and menus and stuff.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 02:58:56 AM »
I visited Tokyo once.  It was excellent.  Besides looking around Tokyo, I went to Kamakura -- a beautiful place with a bunch of marvelous temples in it.  You can get there from Tokyo via high-speed train in an hour.  Tokyo subways are on time and run frequently.  It is a very safe city.

Also, apps (like Google Lens) that translate text seen in your camera are a great suggestion.  Those are super useful.