Author Topic: Nascar in Chicago  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Nascar in Chicago
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2023, 01:45:57 PM »
Nascar in Chicago, will be working production.
Crew: 300
42 day setup, televised production, load-out
24/7 work - 12 hr shifts
1/3 of the city

Even repaved the streets for racing.

Gonna be a blast.

There’s profit in chaos :)

This is awesome! I haven't kept up with NASCAR in quite a while, but I always gotta cheer for a "local" boy, Ricky Stenhouse, Jr.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2023, 09:03:56 PM »
NASCAR has gone down hill so much in the last few years. They have taken all of the "backyard ingenuity" that the sport was known for out of the game. All the cars are the same as they are all supplied by NASCAR approved companys. Heaven forbid you fabricate a part in your own garage!

The excitement of the races has gone way down as nobody can pass (....because all the cars are the same) other than punting someone out of the way and about all that gets you is a pass thru penalty and a review after the race.

Years ago a bunch of drivers were complaining that the speeds at some tracks were going over 200 mph and that was getting too dangerous. Earnhardt said if your too afraid to race at 200 mph get the hell out! Thats what your getting paid to do. NASCAR has taken all that away in the pass few years. On top of that the new cars are hurting drivers. F1, and indy learned long ago that you want a car to come apart in a crash. This way a bit of energy leaves with every piece that comes off. These new car in NASCAR dont come apart and all that energy in a crash stays put and the driver takes the hit.

No NASCAR isnt what it use to be. Id rather watch IMSA or F1 (......only because I love seeing Mercedes and Hamilton getting their butts kicked!)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2023, 10:20:37 PM »
NASCAR has gone down hill so much in the last few years. They have taken all of the "backyard ingenuity" that the sport was known for out of the game. All the cars are the same as they are all supplied by NASCAR approved companys. Heaven forbid you fabricate a part in your own garage!

The excitement of the races has gone way down as nobody can pass (....because all the cars are the same) other than punting someone out of the way and about all that gets you is a pass thru penalty and a review after the race.

Years ago a bunch of drivers were complaining that the speeds at some tracks were going over 200 mph and that was getting too dangerous. Earnhardt said if your too afraid to race at 200 mph get the hell out! Thats what your getting paid to do. NASCAR has taken all that away in the pass few years. On top of that the new cars are hurting drivers. F1, and indy learned long ago that you want a car to come apart in a crash. This way a bit of energy leaves with every piece that comes off. These new car in NASCAR dont come apart and all that energy in a crash stays put and the driver takes the hit.

No NASCAR isnt what it use to be. Id rather watch IMSA or F1 (......only because I love seeing Mercedes and Hamilton getting their butts kicked!)

I would have to agree on all. A lot of sports are different than past years. I usually stop watching when a sport becomes over commercialized, or contemporary. I still watch hockey, but no longer football. It's like dumbing down hard rock & roll to soft pop.

For me it's just something different to do than the norm. The sound part is actually very simple stuff. Hook up signal, monitor signal. Almost any sound guy can do that. It's just a few mics splitting to network trucks and crowd speakers. It's not rocket science. They are pretty self-contained.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2023, 06:59:21 AM »

I'm not a huge fan of the new look. Though I believe NASCAR was trying to make it more "fair" for drivers who didn't have deep pocket teams. TBH, I haven't really noticed too much of a difference from the old cares. Cars still get lapped, the same 10 guys win most of the races, I wouldn't necessarily agree about passing. There are certainly drivers and cars who are faster. Remember there is a lot of strategy in car setup for a race. They seem to be just as fast as the old cars, about 195 tops. I do agree that keepin under 200 is lame. I was really hoping to see them expand the limits of their top speed to say 210-220. I feel they would still have accidents just the same and wouldn't make that bug of a difference in crashes. There are only a few tracks they can even reach top speed as well.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2023, 10:44:44 AM »
From the viewpoint of being seriously involved in motorsports for 45 years, NASCAR has been in steady decline for 40 years, and rapid decline for 25. The Brian France era began the rapid decline, and it has not abated.

What made NASCAR was the use of an actual two door sedan, with production based body panels and frame, and a production based engine. When Bill France Jr. allowed the smaller sports coupe, and then the front wheel drive cars that devolved into jelly beans, the decline began. Then they allowed engines designed purely for racing. After that, it became nothing but tricks and gimmicks. There was also the foolish pursuit of "new markets", where they abandoned the hard core fans, and the tracks they loved, in order to try to bring in "new fans" and those cookie cutter 1-1/2 mile tracks. They took racing away from people who loved it, closed their tracks, and told them "too bad". The "new markets" failed, and the racing on the "cookie cutter" tracks sucked.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2023, 03:58:55 AM »
There were times, when stock cars were more or less stock and drivers pure beskar. Not anyway to understate cars and drivers of today, but watching these old clips are lifting my pulse easier. Especially road course ones.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2023, 09:06:47 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of the new look. Though I believe NASCAR was trying to make it more "fair" for drivers who didn't have deep pocket teams. TBH, I haven't really noticed too much of a difference from the old cares. Cars still get lapped, the same 10 guys win most of the races, I wouldn't necessarily agree about passing. There are certainly drivers and cars who are faster. Remember there is a lot of strategy in car setup for a race. They seem to be just as fast as the old cars, about 195 tops. I do agree that keepin under 200 is lame. I was really hoping to see them expand the limits of their top speed to say 210-220. I feel they would still have accidents just the same and wouldn't make that bug of a difference in crashes. There are only a few tracks they can even reach top speed as well.

More fair????

All cars are now built for NASCAR from a 3rd party and have a set price.....which aint cheap. You are not allowed to modify the cars in any way other than shock/spring setting and camber, but all with in certain limits. Go to far one way or the other and your disqualified.

Now you have to get a driver that can drive with in those constraints. Turn the wheel this much at this time, tap the brakes, wait.....then accelerate off the corner at the precise time and repeat time after time doing as close to perfect everytime. Welcome "sim drivers". All of the drivers who came up muscling a car around a track are retired or pushed out of their cars for kids who are good at sim racing.

Pitcrews are were the race is these days. Its more important on how many spots you can pick up in the pits with a clean fast stop.

All this to make it "fairer", and yet there are still only 3, maybe 4 teams that compete week after week for the wins and more than half the field not even being close to those leaders. Its too bad the way its gone.

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2023, 10:44:36 AM »
From the viewpoint of being seriously involved in motorsports for 45 years, NASCAR has been in steady decline for 40 years, and rapid decline for 25. The Brian France era began the rapid decline, and it has not abated.

What made NASCAR was the use of an actual two door sedan, with production based body panels and frame, and a production based engine. When Bill France Jr. allowed the smaller sports coupe, and then the front wheel drive cars that devolved into jelly beans, the decline began. Then they allowed engines designed purely for racing. After that, it became nothing but tricks and gimmicks. There was also the foolish pursuit of "new markets", where they abandoned the hard core fans, and the tracks they loved, in order to try to bring in "new fans" and those cookie cutter 1-1/2 mile tracks. They took racing away from people who loved it, closed their tracks, and told them "too bad". The "new markets" failed, and the racing on the "cookie cutter" tracks sucked.

This is 100% correct.

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2023, 10:46:34 AM »
I just can't get into Nascar these days, so I reminisce by watching these YouTube channels.   

https://www.youtube.com/@Stapleton42

https://www.youtube.com/@DirtyMoMedia

https://www.youtube.com/@TheSceneVault

https://www.youtube.com/@KennyWallace36

“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2023, 07:46:00 PM »
>IMO< I'm not sure this race in the city is worth the severe havoc it's causing with traffic, with main roads in a congested city closed off. and it's not even race day. Lollapoluza is less trouble. Adding to the nightmare we're doing Beyonce at Solider Field in Chicago the same night as race day. <blank stare>

I wouldn't want to get anywhere near that city, unfortunately I don't have that option.

Who ever planned these events to happen at the same time is a nutjob.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 07:48:15 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2023, 08:10:50 PM »

Who ever planned these events to happen at the same time is a nutjob.

Do you expect anything less from the people in charge in IL?
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2023, 08:29:09 PM »

Good point.

However, I'm fully confident they can top "stupid", consistently.
I'll have to go to work 2-3 hours early just to get in and get a parking spot.

Why I sleep in IN.
I need a shower.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2023, 08:31:42 PM »

LOL, right.   
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2023, 05:34:22 AM »

It is obvious that no one has been in charge there for a while now

Animals rule the place

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2023, 07:07:34 AM »
I was TOLD, that the cars have to install mufflers.
How exciting!!
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks