Author Topic: Strange Reverb G2 Issue  (Read 896 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Strange Reverb G2 Issue
« on: June 28, 2023, 11:04:17 AM »
On a very random basis, my G2 will go completely black but, audio still plays normally.  When I slip it off, the visuals are still showing on the pc monitor.  This typically occurs about 8-10 minutes after beginning use.  So far, it does not reset itself.  My only fix, so far, is to restart the computer.  This will bring visual back once in DX11.  Occasionally, the blackout occurs again in the same timeframe, sometimes not.  A majority of the time, I can sign in, put the G2 on, and play for hours with no recurrence of the blackout.

Anyone else experience this?  Any ideas what’s causing this?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Re: Strange Reverb G2 Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 12:07:31 PM »

Anyone else experience this?  Any ideas what’s causing this?

The VR headsets are updating and technology is leaving aces high behind.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 01:18:25 PM »
When I lost video in the vive pro it was the proprietary usb cable from the headset to the combo box

Replacing it corrected the issue

Good luck Puma!

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 01:31:32 PM »
Thanks Eagler!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 05:57:29 PM »
The G2 does have a bad rep with their cables up and dying. Mine has been ok so far a year in. I did manage to snag a spare but AFAIK HP isn't selling them on their site. I got mine from B&H.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 09:22:41 PM »
The G2 does have a bad rep with their cables up and dying. Mine has been ok so far a year in. I did manage to snag a spare but AFAIK HP isn't selling them on their site. I got mine from B&H.

Good call to have a spare. Checking that everything was plugged in securely was my first thought.  But, the random aspect still has me stumped, unless it’s cable a defect.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 09:27:52 PM »
Say it comes back after a restart? Maybe windows is turning it off to save power? For your convenience! Just a thought. Go into your power plan and turn off usb selective suspend. Go into the device manager, look at all the usb devices and make sure the box for power saving is turned off. Windows will tend to reset these for your convenience too. So thoughtful.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 11:19:47 PM »
That’s a good point.  I’ll check that.  Even though the video blacks out, the audio continues to play.  Do you think that is a split power source, i.e. power video down but, not the audio?  Thanks for another idea to check on.  :aok

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2023, 07:36:47 AM »
Beats me. Just thinking it has USB power going to it and could be good old windows trying to save on your energy bill for you. Could be a heat issue too, but 8 minutes seems pretty fast for that. When this happens does the front of the headset feel hotter than it maybe should be? Check for that. I have a fan blowing on me, seems to help. I'd read somewhere a guy had a problem with the BT chip overheating on his.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 08:36:56 AM »
Mine does get warm to the touch but, not sure what too hot equates to.  I’ve always got an overhead ceiling fan on.  Thanks!

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2023, 07:05:26 PM »
I had this exact issue with my g2 and it was the cable for me. Cycling power on the G2 could bring it back sometimes but quite often had to reboot everything.

I was able to get a new cable for free from their tech support. Might be worth a try even if you're out of warranty as it's a known issue. HP redesigned the cable and I haven't had a problem with the new one.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 11:46:16 AM »
I had this exact issue with my g2 and it was the cable for me. Cycling power on the G2 could bring it back sometimes but quite often had to reboot everything.

I was able to get a new cable for free from their tech support. Might be worth a try even if you're out of warranty as it's a known issue. HP redesigned the cable and I haven't had a problem with the new one.

Yeah, that’s my next step.  The cable that came with mine is pretty robust but, anything is possible and worth a try.  Good idea to cycle the power to the headset.  I hadn’t thought of of that and will give it a try.  Thanks!  :aok

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2023, 07:20:21 AM »
I have a G2 and this same issue happened last night for me twice.   The headset video just blacks out, but the audio still plays.   The picture came back by itself in both cases, after a dozen seconds or so.

I had an original edition Reverb also, and that had similar issues, which turned out not to be the main cable, but a small pigtail cable with a 90 degree connector inside the unit.  This short cable connected the headset's main board to the main cable.   I had to take apart the headset and remove the pigtail cable and instead connect the main cable directly to the units main board, but that unit now works.

So I suspect a cable issue. 

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2023, 09:57:29 PM »
Just to update - my Reverb G2 is now unusable - the problem progressed pretty rapidly from intermittent blackouts lasting 5-10 secs to nearly constantly occurring blackouts, finally it didn't come back from one.

I guess I'll check my warranty and try to open a ticket with HP.   I did notice artifacts appearing just before blackouts, so I still suspect a video signal problem, which points to the cable.   (This cable is different from the G1's as it has a built-in power brick - I suppose that may also be failing - it always been warm to the touch when playing). 

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2023, 09:19:29 PM »
Update:   My Reverb’s 1 year warranty expired 6 days ago.    :mad: