Author Topic: Ki 84 Dive  (Read 550 times)

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
Ki 84 Dive
« on: June 29, 2023, 08:11:14 PM »
Got chased down in a deep dive by Ki84 while Flying F4u1A.

My F4u Wing snapped at 505 mph. Ki was still pulling at 485h MPH...... Didn't think the Frank's were supposed to be able to do that.
Japanese pilot manual states a 5G limit. U.S. Planes especially the F4U much stronger.

I flew a mission with the Ki84 earlier and while at only 321 MPH pulled 7.5+ G's

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Ki 84 Dive
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 09:05:51 PM »
That is most likely the difference, you pulled a bit on your stick, but he didnt and maybe used trim to pull out. A tick of trim is much easier on the stresses than any pull on the elevators, just adds too much stress.

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 09:55:26 PM »
It seems to me that damage to the wing will also weaken its structural integrity. Maybe he landed some cannon on the wing that came off prior to the dive out.
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 08:15:16 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts! Either way he won and I lost and I hate losing lol!
 :bhead

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 01:51:27 PM »
You broke a wing off your F4U going 500? Didn't think that was possible  :rofl

485 is about the top a Ki84 can go before the ailerons rip off.

Here's thing thing, if you have a KI84 diving on you, and you know he's going 450+. All you gotta do is cut throttle and do a high bank BFM turn to get outa the way. They won't be able to slow down quick enough or be able to pull the nose up as they are compressing. Edit: ONLY DO A HIGH BANK TURN IF THEY ARE COMPRESSING. you'll be dead meat if they aren't. If they aren't, you'll want to do a hard nose down turn or horizontal turn to give them a hard lead shot to make. You can use that to go into a barrel roll defense, but that is a bit more advanced move that takes a lot of practice and timing, albeit you should definitely learn it if you want to be really successful in defense.

Also, if you see them start to pull up as you are diving from compressing. Once they get about 800 above you, you can do a sharp emmilmann and pull up into them and you might get a shot. It's a move that works well against Ki43s. If you miss though, be prepared to nose down and fly away from them.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 02:24:25 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 06:55:34 AM »
Noah,

Ki-84 can hit 515mph in a dive (before experiencing damage).  Like all planes in a dive, you have to ease into hitting these kinds of speeds.  While you can start at a 90-degree angle, you have to start to make it more-and-more shallow as the speed gets higher.

Here are my notes page on all AH planes: http://oracledba.help/app/ww2planes/index.php?n=Site.PlaneStats

EDIT: Don't forget to use the K key (controls trim) to pull the plane out of a dive if need be.  Makes a HUGE difference when compressing.

Enjoy!

-X15  :salute
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 07:15:02 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --