Author Topic: Hey lets talk about rc  (Read 488 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Hey lets talk about rc
« on: June 30, 2023, 04:04:03 PM »
I know some of you must be into rc. I'm actually interested in rc and this forum is boring lately. Anywho.. Check this out, unlimited range radio control setup. What do you guys think? Will it really work? Is it viable? Is it a pipe dream?

https://youtu.be/FFNTIhZzW3Y

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
Re: Hey lets talk about rc
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 04:32:12 PM »
How'd ya liketa come home to that every night?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 02:51:21 PM »

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 03:48:04 PM »
I recently just finished my first RC build, a techno SCT410.3 short course truck. Was a fun build and great for a first timer. So much fun to drive as well. Definitely learned so much more about how it all works by building one.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 08:07:25 AM »
My Ta02 skyline still runs.    Ordered a Nissan leopard body for it.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 11:44:34 PM »
I recently just finished my first RC build, a techno SCT410.3 short course truck. Was a fun build and great for a first timer. So much fun to drive as well. Definitely learned so much more about how it all works by building one.

(Image removed from quote.)

Woah an American rc car company! I didn’t know any still existed. I’m new to rc cars so I had to look it up. Sweet rig, looks like a lot of fun. I have a couple Traxxas trx4’s, a Land Rover and a ‘79 bronco. My wife saw my Land Rover and wanted one so we got the bronco and she never touches it, fine by me I’ll play with it  :grin:
Really the only reason I got it was to use Cloudrc’s cellular rc system on it. I had originally planned on using it on an rc sherp mainly because it’s amphibious. Unfortunately the rc sherp I got was a waste of money and a complete pile of fail. Do not buy the sherp made by Kingkong rc! Yesterday I put a sound module on the rover, I programmed the horn to make a Turkey gobble sound. Now that it’s triple digit temperatures all summer I’m glad I can drive around while sitting at my desk in an air conditioned room.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 09:06:15 AM »
Pretty cool. I just happen to be watching giant scale RC plane videos last night. They are so cool. Having a few is on my bucket list.

Here is one of a P51. Takes two people to lift it. Gets in the air at about 1:30 in.
https://youtu.be/0sHVF_V-BSk

This one is of an F4U vs a Zero. Both giant scale.
https://youtu.be/JkAukrEGUCM
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 11:51:17 AM »
I started on r/c cars and trucks in 1984 while still in the USN. My best friend and I both bought Tamiya Grasshoppers and spent our off duty hours on the beach racing around terrorizing folks. After discharge I bought a Tamiya Blackfoot and eventually a Clodbuster. The Blackfoot was my backyrad plyatime rod. The Clodbuster was another beast entirely. I "over" built the Clodbuster with in-line battery packs, custom built transmissions, wheels, bumpers, suspension.....We had a local r/c shop that had weekend tractor pulls with a scale sled.
At the time I worked for a company that had a self contained machine shop with all the equipment millwrights love and a couple that cut parts for me when they were waiting for work from the plant. Those guys saved me all kinds of money on that hobby.

Reading this thread can cause the spending of LOTS of money I dont need to spend....................

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023, 12:38:53 PM »
Lol Sim!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 09:37:17 AM »
I'm not very deep into the RC community, but I do have an all original and working Team Associated RC10, the original model. A little beat up, but it's got the old school Hot Trick aftermarket parts and a loose racing motor.
I know this might not be the place for it, but I'm busy with aviation and cadet stuff in real life, as well as heavy academics and stuff. I have no real interest in keeping this car, and am interested in selling it. Let me know if you are interested, maybe we can work something out.  :cheers:

Turn n' Burn!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 11:20:35 AM »
Woah an American rc car company! I didn’t know any still existed. I’m new to rc cars so I had to look it up. Sweet rig, looks like a lot of fun. I have a couple Traxxas trx4’s, a Land Rover and a ‘79 bronco. My wife saw my Land Rover and wanted one so we got the bronco and she never touches it, fine by me I’ll play with it  :grin:
Really the only reason I got it was to use Cloudrc’s cellular rc system on it. I had originally planned on using it on an rc sherp mainly because it’s amphibious. Unfortunately the rc sherp I got was a waste of money and a complete pile of fail. Do not buy the sherp made by Kingkong rc! Yesterday I put a sound module on the rover, I programmed the horn to make a Turkey gobble sound. Now that it’s triple digit temperatures all summer I’m glad I can drive around while sitting at my desk in an air conditioned room.

Yeah, the Tekno has been great so far. Only thing I've had to change was the spur gear to a steel one although I probably had the wrong pinion size in there start which helped burn it up. The steal is much better and at 14T pinion rather than the 12 has given it some extra speed too. Got some stiffer back springs too as it was riding too low in the back. I took it on a few jumps the other day and nothing broke after flipping it 50 times so I am really happy about that. Exactly what I wanted.

I've read that you want to get kits where you can get parts easily. If you order some Chinese brand or overseas brand, especially if the kit is not longer the current gen kit. There might not be parts easily available at the hobby shop or it will take weeks longer to receive a part that you have ordered. Just keep that in mind if you want to buy something cheap from an overseas brand. For my car, I get parts in 3-4 days from Amain and Tekno online. Very beneficial. 

Next one I get might be a car, just to see if I can get a really fast one as I bascially have a drag strip on my street perfect for it, but damn this hobby is freaking expensive. This truck cost me about 1k after all said and done with the additions I've put in,  though next time atleast I won't have to buy a another controller. Unfortunately the costs for these kits plus everything else is probably preventing a lot of people from getting into these hobbies.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 01:46:01 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion