Author Topic: Explain this?  (Read 650 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Explain this?
« on: June 21, 2023, 10:45:05 AM »
Well known lagboi, TheJudge showed up on map dar as an icon way out of any dar/icon range.  I see this from him now and then.  So I turn north to avoid his icon.  He eventually makes a beeline direct to me.

Just an example of the weirdness revolving his "connection" - can't really be explained away by normal means.  I clipped the film as soon as he showed in film at 12k out.

Anyone care to try and explain this?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
Re: Explain this?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 11:12:10 AM »
Yep, I've seen that too. It seems to happen when someone is running a shade account on different sides.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 11:38:18 AM »
Oh, that might explain it, I guess.   I generally avoid engaging him simply because of his connection, but now it seems there's a new reason to view him as the poser he is. 

But let me clarify - a shade account is when someone doesn't want to be "recognized" for whatever reason.

What you're describing would be more accurately labeled as griefing.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 11:46:17 AM by Shane »
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 04:10:36 AM »
He just makes a hard right hand turn in your direction, what a happy little coincidence.

At first I thought there was a possibility he had a friendly near you giving him your local dar location, but no, there is no one there, the betty's are on your side.

It is just as much a chance it is intuition depending on the map layout/DARBAR as it is an account on the opposing team and/or watching someone Stream seeing map information.

With only this one single example you cannot draw any worth while conclusion that there has been any tomfoolery.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 04:17:37 AM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 10:28:49 AM »
Interesting.  I saw a similar thing yesterday.  Same guy was flying away from a friendly field, and got 3-4 miles outside the dar circle before he disappeared.  No friendlies around him, so no "proximity" dar.    :headscratch:
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 10:37:21 AM »
You mean like the very next sortie? (2 attached screenshots.)

I even flew to check if there was a CV i may have missed... nope.

As to the first. i was heading east, then turned due north well out of any potential visual range to avoid the weird icon (I was heavy.)  Naw, it wasn't "luck." And it was Judge - as I said this isn't the first time I've seen a dar icon in weird situations and so far (about 4-5 times) it has always been judge and I've even called him out on showing up as part and parcel of his lag... it's not lag, tho' I know.

He just makes a hard right hand turn in your direction, what a happy little coincidence.

At first I thought there was a possibility he had a friendly near you giving him your local dar location, but no, there is no one there, the betty's are on your side.

It is just as much a chance it is intuition depending on the map layout/DARBAR as it is an account on the opposing team and/or watching someone Stream seeing map information.

With only this one single example you cannot draw any worth while conclusion that there has been any tomfoolery.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 10:41:55 AM by Shane »

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 10:57:44 AM »
You mean like the very next sortie? (2 attached screenshots.)

I even flew to check if there was a CV i may have missed... nope.

As to the first. i was heading east, then turned due north well out of any potential visual range to avoid the weird icon (I was heavy.)  Naw, it wasn't "luck." And it was Judge - as I said this isn't the first time I've seen a dar icon in weird situations and so far (about 4-5 times) it has always been judge and I've even called him out on showing up as part and parcel of his lag... it's not lag, tho' I know.

I do notice the bombers are showing up. Is that because it's in dar circle and radar is still up.

How far is radar dot dar supposed to be? Has that ever been confirmed?
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 11:51:27 AM »
Bombers are showing because they're in my friendly dar attacking our base.  I was omw to pork their base in both situations.

HT has always been upfront about settings and all can be located in game (and each arena may have slightly different settings, depending.)

You can find all the specific arena you're in settings (using MA here):  clipboard/options/arena setup/environment/arena settings

On that particular menu, you will see a variety of other options, what you're looking for is under "ranges"

radar dot dar is: TowerBaseRadarRange  63360 (feet = 21,120 yds) this is the radius of the dar circle.

this is also the same range for getting base under attack warnings:
FighterWarningRange: 63360
BomberWarningRange: 63360

Radar updates every 5 secs.

icon ranges are generally 6k  PlaneSeenIconRange(vary)

Visual range (pixel planes beyond icon range) I think is more variable to one's gfx card and system but seems to be about 10k for ftrs and 12k for buffs. I cannot find a specific setting, but for the 88's we get icon range to 36000 (12k) and that's also about when visual is also lost.

I do notice the bombers are showing up. Is that because it's in dar circle and radar is still up.

How far is radar dot dar supposed to be? Has that ever been confirmed?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 12:18:03 PM by Shane »

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2023, 04:11:12 AM »
Points and kills are purpose of life for some and to get them... Well...
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 03:14:43 PM »
Saw the same thing again today.  Same guy showing up on radar when he was well outside the circle and not close to any friendlies.  Haven't seen this with any other players.   :headscratch:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 03:16:16 PM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 03:22:05 PM »
hope you filmed/screenied?   if you see it again, do so... it's worth figuring out in the absence of a confirmed cause.

Saw the same thing again today.  Same guy showing up on radar when he was well outside the circle and not close to any friendlies.  Haven't seen this with any other players.   :headscratch:

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 05:28:13 PM »
Gotta wonder if a toejamty connection and the same IP with two accounts is what you are seeing?  Does dissappear and come back?

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 05:55:26 PM »
The first time I saw this, he was flying way from the base and disappeared after 30 seconds or so.  This last time (today) he was flying a few miles outside the dar circle and was engaged by a friendly after 30-45 (?) seconds and later shot down.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?