Author Topic: Why did my stick mapping reset?  (Read 468 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Why did my stick mapping reset?
« on: July 02, 2023, 09:23:02 PM »
Downloaded Microsoft Flight sim to give it a try. Only really set up a few things on my stick and throttle like the main Axees. Play around for a bit and then close it and jump into Aceshigh. First my throttle didn't work at all, so I thought that was strange, restarted comp. Came back in, my throttle was working now and everything was set correctly, however my stick mapping had reset entirely! I had to go through and reset every button. Hopefully it works tomorrow when I log. This ain't gonna happen every time I set up buttons in MFS right? This doesn't happen with DCS.

What the heck is going on with this? Has this happened to anyone else? Very strange.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 09:25:11 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Why did my stick mapping reset?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 10:54:14 AM »
I play MSFS 2020 daily, and sometimes fly around AH for a bit.  I've haven't had any stick mapping issues.
I'm using a Saitek X52.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 11:17:15 AM »
I fly in MSFS 2020, DCS, and IL2 GB and of course AH3.  I have never experienced that issue.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 12:19:12 PM »
I've had my mappings just up and disappear on more than a few occasions. I wish I could tell you why! It's been posted about a few times too as it's happened to other players. What I do is, once I get my map straightened out again, I make copies of the jsm files for both regular and VR (there are files for each controller for that in the settings folder) and just copy/paste them over when they disappear. Hasn't happened in a while tho <knocks wood>.

Agreed it should be fixed but for the life of me I haven't been able to duplicate this. It just happens randomly.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 10:59:47 AM »
I back up my entire settings folder any time I make a change.  I replaced my pedals and throttle, and since I did that, my entire set of controller settings has blanked out at least 3 times.  The only times I've had it happen were when I was making a change to a function, so it's not exactly the same as OP's issue, but it's saved me redoing my entire settings a couple times.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 01:51:55 PM »
Yeah, it was really strange. Good news is it hasn't happened again. Just not sure how setting up the stick for a completely different game reset AH. Interesting to say the least.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 01:31:20 AM »
"Why did my stick mapping reset? "

It has happened to me a couple of times as well for no obvious reason. Once it was cured by properly rebooting Windows (it must have been 98SE, XP or 7) but since that only happened once it's not a fool proof cure. Worth trying, though as it's the easiest method.

I guess AH has been the only game I've used the stick for, although some other games have listed it as an optional controller. What puzzles me most is that the settings are in a text file in the HitechCreations\AcesHigh\Settings folder. How would any other program gain access to that file without the user knowing it? Not plausible! My guess is that the file is in use during the game and it should be saved after each game be there changes or not. If the saving process fails the file resets to default similarly to if you deliberately delete the file. It will be recreated during the next start of the game.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 06:17:36 AM »
Biz I've had it happen to me while playing the game! Once it was multiple times trying to reset it! Hasn't happened in a while but that's beyond annoying! That's why I saved them all in another folder so I can just pop them back over quickly. Only game it happens in. Usually I'll see an odd visual stutter. That coincides with my throttle and RPMs going to half. That happens a lot still and usually twice in quick succession. If that happens and I can just move them back, I'm ok. Still annoying. But if they don't work, my settings have gone again. Every time I think I have that ironed out it comes back. Can't duplicate it. Totally random. No idea what's causing it. I just live with it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group