Author Topic: Occulus VR 2  (Read 622 times)

Offline Kini

• Zinc Member
Occulus VR 2
« on: July 16, 2023, 10:09:30 AM »
I have been looking at used VR headsets and finding a lot the Occulus VR 2 most seem to have 64MB. Good fit for AH?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Occulus VR 2
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 07:30:09 AM »
I have been looking at used VR headsets and finding a lot the Occulus VR 2 most seem to have 64MB. Good fit for AH?
Oculus VR 2?  RiftS and Quest2...I use RiftS...Quest2 is my back-up.  Used for what? Last 3 years...NO ISSUE.   Paid $399.00 for both-2022?
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Kini

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 10:04:06 AM »
I'm finding a lot of used VR 2's for around $200. Seems like a pretty deal  Only planned use would be for AH where I think I'm at a disadvantage using my sticks hat views.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 04:51:57 AM »
I'm finding a lot of used VR 2's for around $200. Seems like a pretty deal  Only planned use would be for AH where I think I'm at a disadvantage using my sticks hat views.
I'm at a disadvantage using my sticks hat views    NO SIR!  At AN ADVANTAGE!!!!!! To my knowledge, AcesHigh, is the ONLY game to use "hat views" organically, with VR!   Hands down the best "Sim" as VR integration goes!Oculus versions?   $200.00?  BUY THEM ALL!!!!!!!!  Tell me where they are at...and I will buy them and just send you one.   I use hat switch, with mine. "Look Back"!  Saves on the Neck Muscles. Get ONE! OCULUS!  If you don't like it...I WILL BUY IT FROM YOU! YES SIR! I believe in it, that much! :rock
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 04:59:27 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 12:11:47 PM »
Ebay, bought 2 of them used for 200.00 each. Both came with pro head strap and a case. One of them the right controller did not work on the 256gb but it was an easy contact fix.  VR is worth it once you adjust. I’d recommend using left and right views to look back at first.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 04:40:01 AM »
Ebay, bought 2 of them used for 200.00 each. Both came with pro head strap and a case. One of them the right controller did not work on the 256gb but it was an easy contact fix.  VR is worth it once you adjust. I’d recommend using left and right views to look back at first.
Quest2 or RiftS?   Either one...$200.00   Scarf em up!  :rock

Offline Kini

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 11:08:13 AM »
So I may be assuming a feature using VR, does the cockpit view track as I turn my head or is the view still dependent on my stick's hat view.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 11:38:21 AM »
So I may be assuming a feature using VR, does the cockpit view track as I turn my head or is the view still dependent on my stick's hat view.

Both, and that is what is great about Hitech's implementation of VR in Aces High.

In VR, your own head movement controls where you look - up, down, right, left, etc.  But you can "combine" your head movements with the hat switch views, which is very helpful.  For example, to look behind, I need only to turn my head 90 degrees to the side, and then press the hat switch to look left or right.  The hat switch sideview and my own 90 degree head movement "add" together and I get the rear view without having to crank my head all the way around.

You don't need to use the hat views, but its very helpful when looking behind, or straight up.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 11:40:09 AM by oboe »

Offline Kini

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 10:05:34 PM »
Thanks for the feed back guys. I'm stingy with money for games but this helped a lot.

Offline GrapeApe

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 11:55:31 PM »
I am an old player looking to get back into the game, bought a new gaming pc and curious about vr, is it worth it? What should I get? Radeon 580 8g card. Any help is appreciated! a.k.a. GrapeApe.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2023, 07:20:45 AM »
VR is the closest experience to actually sitting in the cockpit of your favorite WWII warbird that you can get imo

You lose resolution but you gain the sensation that you are inside looking out with everything more life-size

Flying, shooting both improve once you get the hang of it

I have used vr since December 2018

It blows away any 2d monitor imo - have a wide-screen 32" I do not use for flight sims anymore

I use a vive pro with the Samsung gear lense mod as I  have to wear mr.magoo glasses - tried prescription vr lenses but it didn't work for me

The better the cpu and gpu the better your resolution and frame rate will be - i7 and 1070 was my 1st vr combo

Get it if you can..you can always ebay it if its not for you but you have to experience it if you can

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2023, 08:49:41 AM »
I agree. If you can afford it GET IT!

There is nothing like sitting IN the plane, looking out and seeing that huge wing stretch out away from the fuselage.

I have a i7 as well, and a Nvidia GTX 1060 with 6 GB ram. The Radeon 580 is just a touch better so it should be able to handle AH no problem.

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2023, 09:24:14 AM »
VR is the way to go. I am also an older returning player. I came back in March with a newer pc and monitor. On this return I added pedals and VR. Both are a great addition. Like Eagler said you lose a bit of resolution but what I have found you gain something that we never had before which is 3d depth perception. It’s pretty awesome getting that first kill on someone’s 6 and watching the pieces fall down at you. Almost fell out of my chair dodging. You now aim looking through the gun site, sounds funny but you will understand if you get it. My first run with it I did get motion sickness that I cured by playing for short spans in one day and have never had since. For the price you can’t beat it. You basically get IR tracker in 3D.

It does take some time to adjust to it but I wont ever go back to monitor.

Offline GrapeApe

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2023, 07:28:04 PM »
Right on! Thanks for the help, makes it easier to decide for sure!

Offline GrapeApe

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2023, 12:14:26 PM »
What system(VR)do ya'll use, can't afford a vive, and what about audio,comms, keys, mouse. How do they work when you have vr on?