Author Topic: Collage Football thread.  (Read 3769 times)

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
Re: Collage Football thread.
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2023, 01:27:03 PM »
I watched the Florida vs Florida State game last night. It looked like the Seminoles were going to be blown out in that rivalry game then one of the gator players decided to spit in the face of the Seminoles, on camera, in front of the Official. He got his nasty butt ejected. From that point on the 'Noles controlled the game. They had been12 points to nothing down then. Later another Gator got ejected for targeting the sliding 'Nole QB. Two of the Gators were involved in slamming the down QB but one went head to head. Outside of the egregious behavior it was a pretty good game.

A game UF should have won unfortunately.  The unsportsmanlike penalties were certainly huge, but your automatic FG kicker missing two and your HC/OC losing his mind and calling some double reverse, end around BS right after we forced a safety and were moving the ball just fine is what really cost us the game.   
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2023, 08:47:19 PM »
A game UF should have won unfortunately.  The unsportsmanlike penalties were certainly huge, but your automatic FG kicker missing two and your HC/OC losing his mind and calling some double reverse, end around BS right after we forced a safety and were moving the ball just fine is what really cost us the game.   

I see we just fired our secondary and DL coaches.  That's a start, but we still have this OC who happens to be our HC thing to figure out.   

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2023, 08:02:33 PM »
I’ve seen worse seasons, but overall the last eleven years have been a real bummer. The culture has been shown to be a joke in the media. Hard to get a good program going with as much internal issues with admin turnovers and gaps in our player skill sets not to mention the unrelenting pressure of being in the SEC. Last year we lost 4/6 games by a field goal or less; this year we lost 5/8 games by 7pts or less.

Just today we hired back our old HC Bobby Petrino to be our OC. I don’t know how it came to be, but it is all crazy since we fired him following the 2011 season due to the hiring/affair scandal and now here we are bringing him back online. Not sure how this is going to work out under Sam Pittman who primarily experience with O-line (and that certainly does not say much as our lack of blocking or run game was the focal point of our struggles this year).
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2023, 11:56:02 AM »
Despite coming out undefeated, I agree with FSU being bumped out of the top four with their current lack of offense. I don’t see them beating any of the other top six. Hard to argue the cases for which one-loss team should be in there when it is such a mess of who-beat-who or who only won by a little bit. Georgia better play lights out against FSU or there will be a crapshow if there isn’t one brewing already. I would have thought though that Georgia would have dropped to #4 and Alabama to play FSU in the Orange bowl.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 02:56:42 PM by shotgunneeley »
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2023, 10:34:55 PM »
Michigan Bama Washington Texas.

Should be fun to watch.

:salute

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2023, 12:22:20 AM »
I would have loved seeing Michigan vs. Washington in the Rose Bowl.  It would be great to see that because of history, Rose Bowl Big 10 vs. Pac 12, especially this being the last year of the Pac 12.

But we will get Michigan vs. Alabama there, and I'm greatly looking forward to that game.

This CFP is interesting in that I think there are about 8 teams that would be true contenders in it:  the four that were picked (well, FSU might have trouble because of loss of starting QB), plus Georgia, Ohio State, FSU, and Oregon.

Outside of the CFP, I would have loved to see Ohio State vs. Oregon in a bowl.  What a game that would have been -- top remaining Big 10 vs. top remaining Pac 12, both great teams.  But instead we have the Give Little Timmy a Chance Bowl, and they shoved Oregon into that one.  What a wasted opportunity for a great matchup.

I will be interested to see the Vols vs. Iowa.  Iowa is such a strange outlier, I'm curious how it will go.

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2023, 02:38:03 PM »
Despite coming out undefeated, I agree with FSU being bumped out of the top four with their current lack of offense. I don’t see them beating any of the other top six. Hard to argue the cases for which one-loss team should be in there when it is such a mess of who-beat-who or who only won by a little bit. Georgia better play lights out against FSU or there will be a crapshow if there isn’t one brewing already. I would have thought though that Georgia would have dropped to #4 and Alabama to play FSU in the Orange bowl.

Yep.  FSU's play since Travis got knocked out is why they are not in it.  That team now would have a 0% chance of winning a NC.  I didn't think they were a top 4 team even with Travis but had Travis' injury taken place late in the game against Louisville, I believe they would still have made the playoffs.  Unfortunately for them the committee has had more than 2 games to watch FSU's offense without Travis and it isn't pretty.

W's have never been the end all be all with the NCAA.  For example, go back to FSU's first National Championship in '93 when an 11-0 Nebraska and an 11-0 WVU finished second and third respectively behind the 11-1 Noles.  They've got short memories in Tallahassee it seems.             

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2023, 11:48:09 AM »
I can understand that the committee formed the opinion that Florida might not be competitive based on the loss of the first string quarterback. However I feel the TEAM (not just the first string QB) did earn that chance to compete and fail if they couldn't rise to the level of competition. To have it arbitrarily removed was an error IMO. They performed adequately to qualify for the position and saying that they would likely lose shouldn't be a determining factor. After all, in every one of those games, there WILL be a team losing.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2023, 12:56:51 PM »
I can understand that the committee formed the opinion that Florida might not be competitive based on the loss of the first string quarterback. However I feel the TEAM (not just the first string QB) did earn that chance to compete and fail if they couldn't rise to the level of competition. To have it arbitrarily removed was an error IMO. They performed adequately to qualify for the position and saying that they would likely lose shouldn't be a determining factor. After all, in every one of those games, there WILL be a team losing.

This..

I guess the committee can see the future and don't want us to suffer through a possible lopsided game as they can see all the other matches will be close nail biters..

Just more rule changing ie politics imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2023, 03:56:55 PM »

I will forgive you this time for mistaking Florida for Florida State, but please never let that happen again.   

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2023, 03:59:43 PM »
This..

I guess the committee can see the future and don't want us to suffer through a possible lopsided game as they can see all the other matches will be close nail biters..

Just more rule changing ie politics imo

Eagler

Actually, the committee got to watch FSU's offense without Travis at QB for more than two games.  It was awful.  That is why they were left out.  It is my opinion that had Travis gotten injured late in their game against Louisville (last game of the season) they would be in the playoffs.   

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2023, 04:38:13 PM »
This year seems particularly difficult for CFP since there are about 8 teams that seem all competitive for a national championship.

Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama, and FSU, Georgia, Ohio State, and Oregon all seem competitive with each other.  But they've got to pick only 4 of them.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2023, 08:17:20 PM »
So, how do folks think the CFP will go?

As a Michigan homer, I am compelled to predict Michigan over Alabama.

Since I lived near Seattle, I have to predict Washington over Texas.

Then, my beloved Wolverines over Washington.

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2023, 08:37:30 PM »
So, how do folks think the CFP will go?

As a Michigan homer, I am compelled to predict Michigan over Alabama.

Since I lived near Seattle, I have to predict Washington over Texas.

Then, my beloved Wolverines over Washington.

Texas or Bama.  Zero chance that Saban gets beat twice by the same team in the same year, though.  Unfortunately, Mano gets to show off another pic of that stupid elephant.   

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2023, 11:23:40 PM »
Hiya Rush

You are right

:D :D :D
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)