Author Topic: Collage Football thread.  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Collage Football thread.
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2023, 09:26:02 PM »
Michigan had a bizarre game.  During the 1st two games (against teams in lower division) had dominating passing, but weirdly not able to get run game going, when that was assumed to be Michigan's greatest strength.  Then in 3rd game, got the running game going, but the passing game imploded into 3 interceptions.

I also like Tennessee, but they got blasted by underdog Florida.

Maybe it was a weird weed overall, as #1 Georgia had some troubles with underdog South Carolina; #3 Florida State barely beat Boston College; #10 Alabama beat South Florida 17-3 and is now ranked 1 ahead of Oregon State; Duke is ranked #18.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2023, 10:53:34 PM »
Michigan had a bizarre game.  During the 1st two games (against teams in lower division) had dominating passing, but weirdly not able to get run game going, when that was assumed to be Michigan's greatest strength.  Then in 3rd game, got the running game going, but the passing game imploded into 3 interceptions.

I also like Tennessee, but they got blasted by underdog Florida.

Maybe it was a weird weed overall, as #1 Georgia had some troubles with underdog South Carolina; #3 Florida State barely beat Boston College; #10 Alabama beat South Florida 17-3 and is now ranked 1 ahead of Oregon State; Duke is ranked #18.

Week 3 was odd.  What we thought would be a lot of blow out games end up being that.  Thing have change this year in CFB.  And the most obvious is there are no teams showing complete dominance. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2023, 04:43:32 PM »
Including last night, our last four matchups against LSU have all been decided by a field goal - we have come up on the short side three out of four of those. It is frustrating to play well enough to barely lose. If I had a dollar for each time a last-second field goal topped us, I could pay off my floor renovation! We had to settle for like four field goals after getting down to the friggin goal line, penalties killed us - same old story. We could have lost every other game but last night and I would have counted our season a success - now just gotta batten down the hatches and grind out the rest of what will likely be struggle to even become bowl eligible.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 04:53:34 PM by shotgunneeley »
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2023, 11:02:04 PM »
My top 10 ranking prediction after this weekend.
UGA drops to #2
Mich moves up #1
Texas #3
tOSU #4
FSU#5
PSU #6
Wash #7
USC drops to #10
Oregon moves up to #8
Bama moves up to #9
Utah drops #16
ND moves up to #10
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2023, 02:07:29 PM »
Did anybody have OU and Louisville to win this past weekend? 
Is USC still CPF possible?
Can UGA defeat Old Miss and/ or Missouri?
PSU,  are they that quiet team that can beat tOSU and Mich this year?

So much going on in the ranking this year likes we have not seen over 10 or so years.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2023, 12:26:14 PM »
So Michigan.  WTF?!?

Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2023, 02:54:54 AM »
So Michigan.  WTF?!?

It has become like an espionage novel.  But I have wasted a lot of time looking into all of it.

What is allowed by NCAA:
-- Deciphering opponents' signals.
-- Getting video from 3rd parties.

What is not allowed:
-- "In-person scouting."  Article 11.6.1 of NCAA Division I 2023-24 Manual.

What is true:
-- Michigan had a staffer whose job was deciphering opponents' signals.  (This is not a violation of rules.)

What is alleged that most people believe is true, including lots of Michigan fans:
-- The staffer paid for 3rd parties to get videos of opponents' games that he (the staffer) didn't attend.

Some feel this does not violate 11.6.1, and does not even violate the spirit of the rule.  Because there is no language to the effect of "in-person scouting, and scouting by agents or assigns, is prohibited".  And because there are discussions of amendments in the rules that imply it really is specifically "scouting" and "in-person" that matter in a way that wouldn't preclude 3rd party video taking.  Also, teams use 3rd-party video as a matter of course, and that video does also have teams' signs in it.

Some feel it doesn't violate 11.6.1 technically, but does violate the spirit of the rule.  Many think Michigan itself will take this point of view.

Some feel it does violate the wording of 11.6.1.  I feel this is the opinion of people who don't know much about interpretation of laws and regulations.

What is alleged that is still more unknown:
-- The Michigan staffer was on the sidelines of a CMU/Michigan State game.  (This would clearly be a violation of 11.6.1.)
-- That Michigan coaches knew about these activities of the staffer.

The process is supposed to be like this:
1.  Some party notifies NCAA of alleged violations.
2.  NCAA investigates and tells the school it is doing so, and gathers information.  The school is not allowed to speak about the investigation.
3.  If NCAA thinks rules violations occurred, they notify the school of findings and ask for response.
4.  School gives a response within 90 days.
5.  NCAA determines if there should be punishment and what it should be.

The process is like that, except that it includes that all information was leaked incrementally to particular journalists/bloggers, who then put their spin on it and posted on social media, especially Twitter.  Creating a media frenzy.

The process is currently in step 2.

How big a deal is this?

Despite the opinions of various fans, media blowhards, anonymous sources, etc. -- no one knows yet. 

There was in the past a violation of in-person scouting, and the NCAA penalty was that the staffer was suspended for half a game.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2023, 09:51:26 PM »
It has become like an espionage novel.  But I have wasted a lot of time looking into all of it.

What is allowed by NCAA:
-- Deciphering opponents' signals.
-- Getting video from 3rd parties.

What is not allowed:
-- "In-person scouting."  Article 11.6.1 of NCAA Division I 2023-24 Manual.

What is true:
-- Michigan had a staffer whose job was deciphering opponents' signals.  (This is not a violation of rules.)

What is alleged that most people believe is true, including lots of Michigan fans:
-- The staffer paid for 3rd parties to get videos of opponents' games that he (the staffer) didn't attend.

Some feel this does not violate 11.6.1, and does not even violate the spirit of the rule.  Because there is no language to the effect of "in-person scouting, and scouting by agents or assigns, is prohibited".  And because there are discussions of amendments in the rules that imply it really is specifically "scouting" and "in-person" that matter in a way that wouldn't preclude 3rd party video taking.  Also, teams use 3rd-party video as a matter of course, and that video does also have teams' signs in it.

Some feel it doesn't violate 11.6.1 technically, but does violate the spirit of the rule.  Many think Michigan itself will take this point of view.

Some feel it does violate the wording of 11.6.1.  I feel this is the opinion of people who don't know much about interpretation of laws and regulations.

What is alleged that is still more unknown:
-- The Michigan staffer was on the sidelines of a CMU/Michigan State game.  (This would clearly be a violation of 11.6.1.)
-- That Michigan coaches knew about these activities of the staffer.

The process is supposed to be like this:
1.  Some party notifies NCAA of alleged violations.
2.  NCAA investigates and tells the school it is doing so, and gathers information.  The school is not allowed to speak about the investigation.
3.  If NCAA thinks rules violations occurred, they notify the school of findings and ask for response.
4.  School gives a response within 90 days.
5.  NCAA determines if there should be punishment and what it should be.

The process is like that, except that it includes that all information was leaked incrementally to particular journalists/bloggers, who then put their spin on it and posted on social media, especially Twitter.  Creating a media frenzy.

The process is currently in step 2.

How big a deal is this?

Despite the opinions of various fans, media blowhards, anonymous sources, etc. -- no one knows yet. 

There was in the past a violation of in-person scouting, and the NCAA penalty was that the staffer was suspended for half a game.

I am on neutral grounds on this.  It just seems never ending media coverage ever since day one.  Now it seems that many coaches in Big 10 want Michigan punished severly.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2023, 11:48:10 PM »
It's a media frenzy.  Media frenzies are a mix of some truth and a huge amount of false, slanted stuff.  I'm skeptical of all news until it gets more verified.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2023, 03:12:50 AM »
The Vols end their regular season at 7-4.  I wish the win ratio were higher, but will go to a decent bowl game, and there is always next year.

My beloved Wolverines managed to defeat #2 Ohio State in The Game.  It was nerve wracking but ultimately glorious.  Although the awesome offensive lineman Zack Zinter suffered a season-ending injury late in the game, and the 5-star CB Will Johnson got injured and left the game.

Next up for the Wolverines is the Big 10 Championship game against Iowa.  Iowa is perhaps the most-unusual team in football this season, with a very poorly ranked offense and a defense so good that they are still 10-2 and were 2 points away from 11-1.  Their starting QB was Cade McNamara, former starting QB for Michigan.  Their starting TE was Eric All, former starting TE for Michigan.  Both great players but both with season-ending injuries before they get to play Michigan in the Championship.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2023, 03:33:57 AM »
A couple of games were wild.

Alabama was sure to lose to Auburn.  All Auburn had to do was catch a punt.  But they muffed it.  Then all they had to do was keep Alabama from scoring on 4th and 31.  But they rushed 2 and let Alabama have half a minute to throw it, which they finally did for a TD.

On its final drive, unbeaten Washington needed a 4th-and-1 conversion at its own 29 yard line and a last-second 42-yard field goal to win against Washington State.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2023, 05:40:12 AM »
Poor Auburn fans, cannot believe Alabama got that catch. Absolutely amazing throw and catch there. Awesome game!

UF almost had FSU also. Very close game. Very unfortunate for FSU to have such a great season and then lose their starting QB last week for the season. Going to be very tough for them now.

This has been a very interesting season all around, no idea who is gonna take the title.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Online Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2023, 09:55:45 AM »
I watched the Florida vs Florida State game last night. It looked like the Seminoles were going to be blown out in that rivalry game then one of the gator players decided to spit in the face of the Seminoles, on camera, in front of the Official. He got his nasty butt ejected. From that point on the 'Noles controlled the game. They had been12 points to nothing down then. Later another Gator got ejected for targeting the sliding 'Nole QB. Two of the Gators were involved in slamming the down QB but one went head to head. Outside of the egregious behavior it was a pretty good game.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2023, 12:51:22 AM »
Looks like A&M is getting Elko as the new Head Coach.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2023, 09:45:11 AM »
What about the season Mizzou had. Not picked to do anything this year. No name QB, walk on running back that led the SEC in rushing. Let LSU get back in the game they should have won. A couple of bad penalties late cost them the Georgia game. But a fun season to watch.  :old:

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.