Author Topic: VR Comms Keys Mouse how to use in VR?  (Read 214 times)

Offline GrapeApe

• Zinc Member
VR Comms Keys Mouse how to use in VR?
« on: July 30, 2023, 12:47:09 PM »
I posted in another thread but still have questions and essentially a different topic.

Specs: AMD Ryzen 7, Radeon580/8gig, 32 gig DDR4

Question: I am curious as to what VR is best to use, obviously subjective to personal preference, and how to link to computer for use in game. Also how does Comms, Keys and Mouse work with VR, do I need a headset to use with the VR, is there a way to say use a mic stand alone and the speakers in VR, yadda yadda yadda.

Any help is greatly appreciated, can't wait to get back in the game, been a long time! <S>

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: VR Comms Keys Mouse how to use in VR?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 01:41:10 PM »
I use the Quest 2. The headset comes with a mic and speakers so you dont need any other equipment for COMS. I believe you can change "in game" the setting of which mic or speakers you are using so if you want a stand alone mic you could use it. I know some guys dont like the sound of their headsets so they put a headset over the VR set and use that.

Keyboards and mouse are a bit of a pain. There is "ball" that stays centered in your view, its your pointer. By moving your head around you can point at things and activate them. I have a couple of buttons on my throttle that I have programmed to "left click" and "right click". I use my head to point at the map, hit the button for right click, it opens the menu on the map and I chose and hit the left click to select. The keyboard can be used the same way, point and click each letter. With the quest on my head I can lookdown my nose and there is enough space to see the keyboard and type much quicker.

Many of us use a 3rd party program call "Voice Attack" Its $10 and you can program all kinds of actions to activate when you use a command with your voice. I say "gear" and it actives the buttons for gear to raise of lower. Instead of hitting "ALT I" a number of times to see whos flying what around me I say "ID" and it hits them for me pauses a second when it gets to the icons on friendles so I can scan and see who is flying what and then it continues back to my normal setting. Its very versatile.

Ask away, there are lots of questions when you start and some players here have been using VR for years.