Author Topic: Why only flying one plane is not the answer  (Read 3698 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: Why only flying one plane is not the answer
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2023, 08:52:31 AM »
The Ki84 was the Uber plane in air warrior.

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2023, 10:23:55 AM »
Monday Night Madness is a great place to get experience in multiple fighters without worrying about the hoing one experiences in MA

Eagler

Ill be there tonight :rock
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2023, 02:24:58 PM »
One plane, many planes, it's really up to you. I've seen guys that stuck to one bird and dominated, but others that could put up a fight regardless of what they flew.

One thing that I learned was that variation will make you a better pilot in the long run. I started out in the A8, which made up for my poor marksmanship. I flew it to the point where I was comfortable but then I realized its weaknesses, so I moved to another plane. Eventually I had experience in every available plane, and I knew their strengths and weaknesses, and I was much better at knowing what to expect from my opponents because I had flown their birds before.

Sure, some rotations I went for as high a score as I could get, so I stuck with a comfort pick, but you never know what you might do with another bird. Just have fun with it.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2023, 02:50:23 PM »
I've seen guys that stuck to one bird...

I'm mostly this fellow as I found an affinity for the Ki-84 after an early Zero phase and easily flew that the most. Latterly I enjoyed the late model 109s but they are closer to the Ki-84 than a Spitfire is, IMHO. One thing I didn't do though was to stick to one style, only in chunks but it was always moving. When Skyrr showed up I learned to BnZ (in a dedicated aeroplane) to see what that was all about. But in the background I had moved anyway from purely stall fighting to +e fighting. My ACM is quite different from StepSis, say, I think he (or she) has a more effective fundamental technique but I was never very motivated by results or efficiency.

One thing about Violator's proposition of having multiple tools, it then more often seems to be the case you wanted a Ki-84 while you had already upped a K-4 etc. You can't alter the tools to the job once you've taken it out of the box and offered fights and situations were always fluxing  :joystick:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2023, 05:56:18 PM »
When Skyrr showed up I learned to BnZ (in a dedicated aeroplane) to see what that was all about.

Great Guns I still have nightmares about that guy.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2023, 11:27:41 AM »
The plane goes so far then its the pilot

:cheers:

Eagler

“Hamburger is still hamburger, no matter what you wrap it in”.  Author unknown.   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2023, 12:39:33 PM »
The Ki84 was the Uber plane in air warrior.

Funny, everyone I knew was in a Pony D, La7 or N1K

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2023, 03:14:03 PM »
“Hamburger is still hamburger, no matter what you wrap it in”.  Author unknown.   :salute

"Spoonful of crap spoils bucketful of honey but a bucketful of crap does not became edible, even if you add spoonful of honey".  Author has his picture in my ID.   :D

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2023, 09:43:37 AM »
Yeah, you know this post wasn't about saying not to fly what you want. I just wanted to shed some light on why flying what you want isn't always the best idea if you don't understand the gameplay, and how people play, and why you are at a disadvantage if you roll a P51 for base defense if you cannot get away to gain alt first. Fighting that thing on the deck is going to get you in trouble where as if you grabbed a more defense oriented plane that accels and turns quicker, you will have a better chance at being successful in the fight. I don't want people to get discouraged because they die easily in their favorite planes a lot when there is a better choice that can benefit them in the situation.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 09:45:31 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2023, 01:21:34 PM »
One thing about Violator's proposition of having multiple tools, it then more often seems to be the case you wanted a Ki-84 while you had already upped a K-4 etc. You can't alter the tools to the job once you've taken it out of the box and offered fights and situations were always fluxing  :joystick:

That's my experience quite often, the fight I took the best tool for the job at the time ends, and then a different set of enemies comes in.

If the enemies are committed to fighting, the all rounders like the KI84 are great.  However if you run into a crowd of one pass and reset ponies, doras, and typhs, you're either going to have to be great at fighting from the bottom/getting shots on overshoots or you're going to have a bad time.

If I'm in something fast to run down the one pass and reset ponies, doras, and typhs I feel like I often run into a swarm of KI84s, Spit16s and Yak3s with alt on me.  Just the way it works out.   :joystick:

Generally speaking if I don't know what the enemy's up to, I will use a K4.  It's faster than a lot of the all rounders and its main downside is the gun's not that user friendly.  But it can dogfight decently, keep up with a lot of planes, and will take out bombers depending on how good of a gunnery day I'm having.

Several planes turn better but they aren't as fast/don't climb or accelerate as well.  Those two attributes go a long, long way for me in the MA.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2023, 05:00:11 PM »
Hmmm, this topic brings a certain special event to my mind that is now deceased.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2023, 06:52:56 AM »
Hmmm, this topic brings a certain special event to my mind that is now deceased.

Can it be resurrected?  :pray

Some of us miss that event,  the pilots that participated and the host immensely!

:cheers:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2023, 08:20:49 AM »
Guilty of hi-jacking. Attendance, attendance, attendance.
I doubt that has changed. Ohshutupfuzeman.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2023, 10:01:22 AM »
I'd personally rather see a monthly combat challenge than a KOTH.  Based on attendance, I'd say most agree.  It could be on Friday evenings on the FSO off week.