Author Topic: Why only flying one plane is not the answer  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Re: Why only flying one plane is not the answer
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2023, 07:08:48 AM »
I usually fly the P-51D.
Anyone who knows it, it’s not a real TnB ac, and doesn’t recover E all that well,.. hence the Runstang. But I throw myself into TnB (most times 3 or 5 vs 1)intensionally. It teaches SA and ACM to survive and strict muscle memory. When I fly another more uber AC its like I can do whatever I want, and my kills accelerate.

Usually when I turn into a Runstang its about drawing one or two out and away of a horde so I can try to force them to fight my way. Once that hook is in the mouth (fish on!) I have better chances. I live that some are caught up in the weak fighter Runstang, I play on it. And one way is, as soon as they tire and pull out of the chase, I’m flipping on their 6. Once they see ne coming they have to flip again and burn more E. Most of my kills (the little I have time for) come this way. The psychological part of ACM.

IMO, thise who always fly uber TnB AC aren’t learning as much, even if they have higher kill rates, they usually aren’t that good in a P51. The discipline isn’t there.  The opposite of going from P51 and then TnB AC. A Spitfire and 109 is easy as it gets (uber-ish)

I’m a much better pilot flying other AC in a scenario. Which I still believe the MA is just oractice for scenarios, which is my true goal. The MA is just practice. I don’t care much if my points are low in my he MA. :)

Master of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=QZEvHGf1Le0YlaHf

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP[/

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2023, 07:21:12 AM »
Great post, great positive change of pace.

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2023, 12:30:21 PM »
I have similar feelings towards the FM2 I'd argue its one of the best freak combinations in the game as it could sorta do all 3 situations. Its biggest limitations are relatively slow top speed and only 4 M2s. But it has no Vne speed like Brewster it will do 500mph in a dive with good control aswell which makes it a great Boom and Zoomer. Also can turn with the Brew and has very good acceleration and climb rate for what it is. Not 109K4 or Yak3 levels but the Power to Weight compared to the F4F will surprise a lot of players expecting an easy kill, which the F4F icon people will see and flock to club you like a baby seal, not knowing until its too late and they lost all their E :D

Like statistically the best plane for a Furball would be a 262, but that doesn't make it any fun.

If I "had" to choose one airplane to fly in the main arena it would be an FM2  :salute
FM2 used to be my baby in when I first started love her but I wanted something a bit lighter
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2023, 01:03:49 PM »
Good post Vio.

An argument could be made that flying one type of plane can accelerate your learning curve by honing your aim and earning an intimate understanding of that plane's advantages and limitations.

If your goal is to achieve a high score, then yes, choosing the right tool at the right time is certainly necessary.

If your goal is to survive, learn the 190D, P51 or Yak3. Especially if you side-swap, the perks will come flooding in so you can fly Tempests and Deuces to avoid getting shot down even more easily.

If your goal if to win dogfights, mastering something versatile (F4U, 109, Spit, Ki84) is the way to go about it.

I wear my Corsairs-only badge with pride. I think I could do just fine in a Dora/Temp/Yak/Spit/LA, but that would be like admitting defeat.  :bolt:

This right here would be my argument.  A new pilot should stick with one plane until he has actually learned how to fly.  By switching planes you make the learning curve steeper.  Let a new pilot take one plane and learn the basics of flying in that plane.  Once he has learned the basics of flying, then the pilot can appreciate the advantages of the different airplanes.  Until then, he is just fighting the learning curve.

Many of us have been around so long we forget how daunting it can be for a rookie.  I fondly remember my early days when I was doing my very best to not hit the ground. 
 :airplane:

I'm with you that it's good to understand one plane and how it maneuvers with regards to BFM and ACM in order to understand the plane better. I believe that ACM and BFM should be practiced outside of the MA in a 1v1 setting to really test your limits and ability behind the controls. It also helps you really feel the plane. Once you understand ACM and BFM, then you can utilize them with any plane and get a feel for the different abilities.

The thing is though, is that for novice pilots, they don't understand what is a good turn rate vs what isn't, or what has better E capabilities off the run way vs being at high alts with speed. The issue I could see many having is not realizing that their situation is not suitable for their plane, and therfore having a harder time getting kills or not being ganged. The other thing I would mention is that even though they practice one plane for a long time, they might still never learn to take it to its full ability because they don't 1v1 or practice BFM/ACM outside of the MA. Infact I find this to be true quite a lot. So they could be flying a P51 for years and still not really take it to its full potential and hindering themselves, when they could be having a lot more success in a plane like a ki84 with better turning capabilities and 20MM cannons for quicker kills. By sticking with only one plane, they will also not understand the ability of the planes they are fighting against from that planes perspective. This can also be a disadvantage.  I find that by trying new planes that are suitable for the situation, you will have a better chance at getting kills and staying alive. By limiting yourself to one plane, you are essentially missing out on other opportunities to improve. Especially when they go to a special event and have to fly something different.

For you fellas that do only fly one plane, you have been around a while and understand when you should and shouldn't roll in a situation, and also understand the flight dynamics and defensive maneuvers better. While I do think it's proficient to understand one plane to your max potential, I also believe that it's important to maybe have 3 planes you want to learn for each situation I mentioned. One geared for base defense, one geared for furballing, and one geared to longer attack missions per the planes I mentioned.

I do appreciate yalls input though. :salute
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2023, 05:30:08 PM »
I'm with you that it's good to understand one plane and how it maneuvers with regards to BFM and ACM in order to understand the plane better. I believe that ACM and BFM should be practiced outside of the MA in a 1v1 setting to really test your limits and ability behind the controls. It also helps you really feel the plane. Once you understand ACM and BFM, then you can utilize them with any plane and get a feel for the different abilities.

The thing is though, is that for novice pilots, they don't understand what is a good turn rate vs what isn't, or what has better E capabilities off the run way vs being at high alts with speed. The issue I could see many having is not realizing that their situation is not suitable for their plane, and therfore having a harder time getting kills or not being ganged. The other thing I would mention is that even though they practice one plane for a long time, they might still never learn to take it to its full ability because they don't 1v1 or practice BFM/ACM outside of the MA. Infact I find this to be true quite a lot. So they could be flying a P51 for years and still not really take it to its full potential and hindering themselves, when they could be having a lot more success in a plane like a ki84 with better turning capabilities and 20MM cannons for quicker kills. By sticking with only one plane, they will also not understand the ability of the planes they are fighting against from that planes perspective. This can also be a disadvantage.  I find that by trying new planes that are suitable for the situation, you will have a better chance at getting kills and staying alive. By limiting yourself to one plane, you are essentially missing out on other opportunities to improve. Especially when they go to a special event and have to fly something different.

For you fellas that do only fly one plane, you have been around a while and understand when you should and shouldn't roll in a situation, and also understand the flight dynamics and defensive maneuvers better. While I do think it's proficient to understand one plane to your max potential, I also believe that it's important to maybe have 3 planes you want to learn for each situation I mentioned. One geared for base defense, one geared for furballing, and one geared to longer attack missions per the planes I mentioned.

I do appreciate yalls input though. :salute

On the last paragraph that is good advice. For specific reasons my alternates are;
190 A8
190 A5
Any Hog
Spit 16
Yak

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2023, 01:45:03 PM »
Clearly my plane selection has been wrong 70% of the time  for a decade. 😅
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2023, 03:35:38 PM »

It has been for those who thought your jug was easy meat

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2023, 03:45:31 PM »
Some of my most fond memories in AH was learning/advancing my skills and knowledge in fighters that I planned on flying and signed up to fly in Scenarios. My first time in a Bf 109G-14 occurred because my friends signed up to fly them in a Scenario. I was a Bf 109G-2 guy and didn't love the 30mm so I never flew the K-4. Once I began to hone my skills in the G-14 I fell completely in love. For those 3-4 weeks of flying the G-14 exclusively, I developed an appreciation for the Bf 109 that I had not before. The G-14 is now my favorite airplane and has been since that event. Another fighter I took up because of an event was the Ki-84. I had no ambition to fly it even when it first came out. After learning its nuances and fragility, nimbleness and ferocity, I craved it. It is now easily in my top 5 favorite planes in AH. All because I signed up to fly one in an event.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2023, 06:13:16 AM »
All very good advice.

One more thought:  Learning new planes is fun.  AH has a lot of planes to learn.

- oldman
INDEED!!!  Being said....I always wonder, "Hmm, if Oldman was in a Spitfire, like I was....could I have killed him?"   I get it...Uber Planes dont draw as many takers as "I am gonna fight him" situations. You are usually in "Easy Kill-ish Plane" if you know what I mean? For the thrill of the limited fight opportunities?  Thus Baiting?         YOU- in P-39...me Spit16...and still I have to work to get you?  Makes a feller wonder?   :rock
Love ya Brother,
BW1stpar/ULCapkid
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2023, 06:15:57 AM »
I would never cheat on my Brewster lol good advise violator
What?  You cheated on ME, with a CRYPTID!!!   fluff'n MOTHMAN!!!!! :devil :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline ZE

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2023, 09:24:09 AM »
Great post and comments...
Even anyone wants to be a successful fighter killer, in my particular case when I play (any game ) the goal is to have fun and relax for the real world life stress; by this... been flying the old Brew with a lot of fun moments in the defense or offense strategy (including those when someone insult me or my choosed plane and just “sometime” I can deliver to them a surprise lead load). Choosing a plane as everybody well recommended should be based on the mission you planning to do, and this post encourage me to try new planes that hope to learn how to fly....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 09:54:15 AM by ZE »

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2023, 10:43:15 AM »
On the last paragraph that is good advice. For specific reasons my alternates are;
190 A8
190 A5
Any Hog
Spit 16
Yak

The 190A5 is such a fun plane to fly that is very under looked because everyone flies the 190D. It's great for furballing and a good plane to use as a fighter when your team is attacking bases. It can turn pretty well, not quite as good as a 109, but its quicker and has amazing roll rate for quick angles. The 4 20s with 50 calls are monsters for shredding planes and bombers. It's a really fun plane. I wouldnt use it for base defense though because it's tough to defend against planes diving on you when you are on the deck unless you really know what you are doing, and even still.

Great post and comments...
Even anyone wants to be a successful fighter killer, in my particular case when I play (any game ) the goal is to have fun and relax for the real world life stress; by this... been flying the old Brew with a lot of fun moments in the defense or offense strategy (including those when someone insult me or my choosed plane and just “sometime” I can deliver to them a surprise lead load). Choosing a plane as everybody well recommended should be based on the mission you planning to do, and this post encourage me to try new planes that hope to learn how to fly....

That's great ZE!  :aok Your Brewster is such a scary plane to fight  :rofl

I recon a great plane you should try is a ki84. It might not dive quite as well, however I feel you might have a better chance at escaping all the gangers.  It's sorta similar to a brew, but you might get a few more fights rather than those scared to 1v1 your brew and just run. It excels and rolls fast which is a big plus, the cannons are nice too for quicker kills.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2023, 05:47:50 AM »
The 190A5 is such a fun plane to fly that is very under looked because everyone flies the 190D. It's great for furballing and a good plane to use as a fighter when your team is attacking bases. It can turn pretty well, not quite as good as a 109, but its quicker and has amazing roll rate for quick angles. The 4 20s with 50 calls are monsters for shredding planes and bombers. It's a really fun plane. I wouldnt use it for base defense though because it's tough to defend against planes diving on you when you are on the deck unless you really know what you are doing, and even still.

That's great ZE!  :aok Your Brewster is such a scary plane to fight  :rofl

I recon a great plane you should try is a ki84. It might not dive quite as well, however I feel you might have a better chance at escaping all the gangers.  It's sorta similar to a brew, but you might get a few more fights rather than those scared to 1v1 your brew and just run. It excels and rolls fast which is a big plus, the cannons are nice too for quicker kills.
Forgive Violator..he knoweth not what fire he is stoking/fanning! :uhoh  BROTHER....Ze is hard enough in a Brew!  "Fly a Ki-84", he says :bhead  Dang it Violator, you only see Ze, what, 1 night a week?  DON"T ENCOURAGE  :rofl  LOVE that feller...er...but NOPE! :devil  Looks like, Violated by proxy, soon around the corner?  :rofl
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 05:54:05 AM by 1stpar3 »

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2023, 08:19:48 AM »

The A5 should be flown only with the wing root 2 20mm*151, and leave the wing 2 20mm FF at home, give even better performance, and those 2 FF's not only weights it down ( bok for attack vs bombers though) they also have a very low muzzle velocity.
Specially flying in pairs the A5 are very lethal and survivable.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Rebel28

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2023, 11:51:05 AM »

And I still remember the flight lesson you gave me flying the Spit8 against your Jug. Reminds me I still owe you for that lesson... :) Some of the best flying I had ever seen.

Reb28
4th Fighter Group
~ The Gunslingers ~