Author Topic: BF-109 Stability  (Read 1815 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: BF-109 Stability
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2023, 07:15:22 AM »
... I only had slightly more than 30,000 flying hours when I retired.

How many hours in fighters and doing aerobatics? My dad had similar hours in 120 different types but mostly in airliners and antique sailplanes. He didn't claim to know a lot about WW2 fighters because even thought he worked on them post war he didn't fly them.

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2023, 08:31:38 AM »
Jeez it's like a school of piranhas.  :noid

Lighten up y'all, I just wanted to see who else has heard of this happening in game or in real life perhaps. I don't give a single crap who's more qualified lol.

Although that table does make me much more proud of the few kills I have on Violator.  :bolt:
Turn n' Burn!

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2023, 09:03:19 AM »
How many hours in fighters and doing aerobatics? My dad had similar hours in 120 different types but mostly in airliners and antique sailplanes. He didn't claim to know a lot about WW2 fighters because even thought he worked on them post war he didn't fly them.

Quite a lot of aerobatics in my youth but sadly no opportunity to fly a WW2 fighter. But you don't need to fly an airplane to know it cannot be controlled missing it's vertical fin.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2023, 11:19:09 AM »
I agree it's unlikely.

To answer the OP, 3 out of 4 B-52's that lost tails crashed before landing, one made it. Helps to have engines in the wing.

I can't think of any single engine fighters off hand but it wouldn't surprise me if there was one.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2023, 11:25:12 AM »
I am wondering if he meant horizontal stabilizer because that is normally what gets shot off and it's very flyable in AH. That is what I was referring to. If your vertical stabilizer gets shot you are basically floating but not really "flying" per say. No plane in AH can "fly" without a vertical one. I've been able to get some ditches out of it though.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 11:26:43 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2023, 12:36:57 PM »
I can reliably ditch the Ki-84 with a missing vertical stabilizer. You can use a combination of torque and pitch to keep it in line. In AH you only lose discrete units of parts though.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2023, 03:58:33 PM »
Is there a place to download this program? I had it years ago

Send me a private message with your email and Ill send you a copy. The program quit working years ago when HTC changed something on their servers. My son reprogrammed it to work again, so if you do find it on-line someplace it most likely will not work. But Im happy to send out copies just as Spatula who built it did.

You...um...you didn't put in the C202...

- oldman

These are "Violators" numbers only, not game wide numbers.

Sweet thanks! And that's just under Violator I assume. Did you do DmonSlyr and Catfish6 as well? I had a couple other names, but probably not enough there to put a dint in it. Only 4 planes below a 3 k/d, I'll take it! Only really getting about 100 kills a tour now due to limited time I can play and lack of larger consistent fights. Trying to get my 2500 kills in the jap planes, seems like it's taking forever!

Yes that is only the "Violator" call sign, I didnt know you had others.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2023, 04:39:11 PM »
I am wondering if he meant horizontal stabilizer because that is normally what gets shot off and it's very flyable in AH. That is what I was referring to. If your vertical stabilizer gets shot you are basically floating but not really "flying" per say. No plane in AH can "fly" without a vertical one. I've been able to get some ditches out of it though.

You can roll and use adverse yaw.  :joystick: The 109 has such a small fin to begin with you hardly miss it.  :D

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2023, 07:50:13 PM »

No when I say the vertical stabilizer I MEAN the vertical stabilizer lol. It happened 3 times in a row in the mission, a Spit or Hurri would lock onto my 6 and knock off usually my vertical and the right horizontal stabilizer. Bf-109 damage model showed the whole fin above the horizontal stabs gone. There is a small portion below them, and it was an Emil with the external tail struts, so that may have made a difference.

Like I said, when they came off there was a lot of wandering yaw with the nose at first, but I pushed it into a dive at full WEP, and above about 220-230 it stabilized to the point where the nose no longer wandered. I could pull at least 3 Gs without the nose wandering and the vertical stab missing.

Remember, this is on the Bf-109E-4.
Turn n' Burn!

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2023, 11:04:58 PM »
I'll be honest, the 109E has had the tail bug for a long time, I reported it 10 years ago.
For me it was difficult/impossible to recreate, so getting it to HiTech never really happened.
If you got film, send it to HiTech. The Vert stab does occasionally fall off to no adverse effects.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2023, 01:23:10 PM »
Pretty sure some of the damage models in the game do not represent real life experiences..

Pretty sure they couldn't run their smoking oil draining engines at full bore and wep as if no damage was done
and then glide 20 miles for a successful landing

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2023, 01:26:22 PM »
Pretty sure some of the damage models in the game do not represent real life experiences..

Pretty sure they couldn't run their smoking oil draining engines at full bore and wep as if no damage was done

Eagler

Only if they were in a P47  :aok

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2023, 06:48:33 PM »

The dynamic flight model is suitable for simulation. The simple damage model is suitable for gaming.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2023, 04:44:58 PM »

Eagler

Also doubt that pilots with high performance fighter engines would shut down their engine to listen for enemy GVs. 

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2023, 08:13:16 PM »
Also doubt that pilots with high performance fighter engines would shut down their engine to listen for enemy GVs.

Geez, didn't you ever see "Battle of the Bulge," where Henry Fonda tells his pilot to do just that?  (Granted that an L4 maybe didn't have a high performance fighter engine, but still....)

I mean, if they could do it in a movie, they must have done it in real life all the time.

- oldman