Author Topic: Ace-of-Aces Award  (Read 506 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Ace-of-Aces Award
« on: August 17, 2023, 03:55:29 PM »
Hello,

I was thinking of setting up a one-time $100 bonus for a pilot that can win the top fighter ace for a tour exclusively flying one (or any combo) of these planes:

• A6M3
  • BF-109e
  • BF110-G2
  • C-202
  • F4F-4
  • Hurricane II
  • P38g
  • P-40e
  • Spitfire MK-5
  • Yak7

1. How can it be verified that the winning pilot exclusively flew these in fighter mode?

2. What other advice can you give as to how to set this up?

Go Aces High!

Thanks,

X15  :salute

« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 03:57:33 PM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ace-of-Aces Award
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 04:59:13 PM »
I like this idea, anything to get players out of their Yak-3s, 190D-9s, and Spit XVIs.   A $100 prize is very generous, but you might be able to sustain the competition for multiple tours if you went with a less expensive prize, for example, maybe a T-shirt?

I just whipped this up because I've always loved the image; I sure someone could come up with a more "Ace of Aces" theme.  Might want to tailor the planes toward more mid-War choices, as early-War aircraft in the MA can be frustrating, never being able to dictate the fight against the MA monsters.

Another prize could be a custom embroidered jacket patch.  This site has templates you pick from and add your own text, but I imagine other sites might let you upload a whole design:

https://www.buildyourpatch.com/product-category/military/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 05:06:20 PM by oboe »

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 05:07:42 PM »
I like this idea, anything to get players out of their Yak-3s, 190D-9s, and Spit XVIs.   A $100 prize is very generous, but you might be able to sustain the competition for multiple tours if you went with a less expensive :lol prize, for example, maybe a T-shirt?

(Image removed from quote.)

I just whipped this up because I've always loved the image; I sure someone could come up with a more "Ace of Aces" theme.  Might want to tailor the planes toward more mid-War choices, as early-War aircraft :lol in the MA can be frustrating, never being able to dictate the fight against the MA monsters.

Another prize could be a custom embroidered jacket patch.  This site has templates you pick from and add your own text, but I imagine other sites might let you upload a whole design:

https://www.buildyourpatch.com/product-category/military/

I’ll take 2
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 07:05:46 PM »
   A $100 prize is very generous, but you might be able to sustain the competition for multiple tours if you went with a less expensive prize, for example, maybe a T-shirt?

A free month sub?
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 08:21:04 PM »
This is something I could get behind. $100 is nice, but the t-shirt or free sub is probably a more reasonable reward.

The only way to be sure in fighter mode is for them to only fly these planes in fighter while all other planes are in attack. That is the only way to verify in fighter mode/fighter rank. This would assume you are using fighter rank to determine who did the best.

Also, are you assuming this for each plane or who ever did the best out of all the planes combined? Probably better to use the combined method as you'll be handing out a lot of free subs.... 

There are other factors like, is there going to be a sign up for this? Or how do you know who is participating?

Is scoring going to be based on most kills, fighter rank, or K/D?
With K/D and/or most kills, you don't have to only fly one plane in fighter mode, you could check the stats and see there. Though this may take some time to gather the information for those planes and determine the winner, especially if multiple pilots fly multiple planes.

Fighter rank would probably be the easiest approach, however if "hypothetically" no players made it in the top 50, you wouldn't exactly know who won.

While this idea is cool and fun in theory, I doubt many would participate and only like 10% of the current player base go on the BBS, so it would be tough to get a big group of players to participate as it probably wouldn't be able to be marketed in the MA to get players.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 06:02:59 PM »
It will be hard to win #1 fighter since they are all so slow, but I'll give it a shot.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 06:30:03 AM »
Shouldn't the spit be the one with the lawn mower carburetor?

The spitV is a beast

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 10:05:32 AM »
Cool idea.  I'd limit it to 1 early war or midway plane per month, and base the winner solely on total kills, air to air only.