Author Topic: Video doorbell camera  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
Video doorbell camera
« on: September 11, 2023, 03:27:18 PM »
I think I am interested in getting a video doorbell.  I have no clue what may be a good one.  I will need it to detect someone approaching and send me a notification.  Also would like live video at the time someone is in the area.  What suggestions do you gents have for such a critter?
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Video doorbell camera
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 04:20:39 PM »
My aunt had the Ring doorbell and I was constantly having to go over and get it working again. They're usually wifi and they can lose connection

I'd get a wired security camera system. Even just a two camera one. They will notify you too and some do two way audio as well

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 05:16:01 PM »
Ring

Doorbell, front driveway flood and backyard flood cameras for a while now

It's $100 a year for cloud storage

It's a great security tool that can do the things you asked about

I use a wifi repeater to extend wifi to the front devices

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 06:44:42 PM »
Ring doorbell, hardwired, here.  Never had any issues with it. Also have ring cameras with solar power.  Never any issues with them either.  Of course, on the very rare occasion when the Wi-Fi fails due to a storm, everything Wi-Fi is down. But, a rare event here.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 06:35:11 AM »
I use the Wyze stuff.  It's super cheap.  A lot of people complain about quality and reliability.  I've never had a problem.  But then again, I have realistic expectations.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 06:45:30 AM »
As they are wifi they are jammable but not a real concern for most and the average crackhead thief...

Also have 3 foscam cameras rolling..

The wife reviews the ring floods about every morning..

That's how we saw a group of losers roaming the hood checking car doors one early am..

Cameras help but so does Skyler, our 65pound pit and the 9mm

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 09:53:54 AM »
I had Ring for several years, worked well. Tried an Amazon Blink when my cloud subscription for the Ring expired because the Blink sub was cheaper. The Ring was much better at detecting only someone at the door. When we moved back to Texas in June we bought another Ring. Very happy with it.

I put a 30 degree adapter on the camera as you may or may not be able to see and with the wide angle of the lens it works well.

https://ibb.co/dcfr0Bp
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 10:01:15 AM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 10:07:29 AM »
I use a few Google cams (2 doorbells and a floodlight) along with some Wyze cams. Google ones are expensive but very nice. I don't pay for the subscription but may just so we can have event history.

Wyze cams are nice because they are cheap. I put them indoors in windows looking outside.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 11:23:17 PM »
I'll check some of these out.  I'll be in a "big city" this weekend where I will be able to actually look at them.  Thanks, I'll see what happens.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 06:41:20 AM »
We also have the solar powered battery ring flood that has its own solar panel so you don't have to wire it to power

Works great!

Eagler

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 08:00:50 AM »
You guys ever wonder why the video goes to and through a server before being piped to you.

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 11:55:50 AM »
Because that's the way these things work?  You think they're monitoring YOUR cameras?  Why would they monitor YOUR cameras??

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 12:48:58 PM »
You guys ever wonder why the video goes to and through a server before being piped to you.

A big reason is initial cost. Having a DVR included to hold your own recordings adds cost.You can still add DVR to some that then require no online. To access your videos from off premise you would need to setup a server though.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2023, 12:57:43 PM »
You have to port forward your router to get ip cameras setup

Our foscams do not record as I never setup a dvr for them

Ring has cloud storage which I don't care who can hack into them ad they just show the driveway and backyard.

If I had them inside I would be more careful

Eagler

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2023, 07:28:06 PM »
I run my own system, $30 cameras from Aliexpress, 4k/night vision/LED spotlight feature/2 way audio/PoE, all running back to a PC running BlueIris. BlueIris has built in AI support for object recognition, facial recognition, and number plate recognition.