Author Topic: Dynamic GV Icons - UPDATE PLEASE  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Dynamic GV Icons - UPDATE PLEASE
« on: September 29, 2023, 01:32:48 AM »
For goodness sake, update the GV Icon range to something reasonable for AH3.  It's been complained about since AH3 went live and players on all sides continue to complain about it to this day.

The dynamic GV icon range (trees and buildings reducing icons) was implemented in AH2 -- heck, I even suggested it in a wishlist thread ages ago!  It made sense then.  In AH2 there was very little cover and this change was good for the game.  It got rid of the silly Lanc-stukas, and gave GVs a fighting chance.  But GVs still had to be mobile and shoot and scoot.  This hardly applies to AH3 where trees are EVERYWHERE (including all over the fields and in factories).  In AH3, these settings are not good for the game.

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to see a GV in trees from D400 or even D800 from an aircraft.  However, the code from AH2 combined with the magic bushes in AH3 (that hide vehicles larger than themselves) renders vehicles completely invisible.  This is just not fun.  There are players who admit to hiding in bushes "for hours, just to frustrate the other team".  The only way to combat this is to exit the game and use the Film Viewer, which many players also admit to doing regularly.  This is all not fun and I feel is against the spirit of a game that is supposed to promote combat.

In my opinion, the inability to see GVs (even in a Storch, an AC implemented solely for this purpose!) has absolutely degraded gameplay to a point where I just want to uninstall AH.  There is little enough combat left to be had in this game to allow Aces High to continue to become Aces Hide and Seek.

Just up the dynamic range a little.  Or if that is too hard, roll it back to the code from AH2.
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Re: Dynamic GV Icons - UPDATE PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 08:20:08 AM »
Runway tree rules!  :rofl
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 08:40:49 AM »
I agree that something needs to be done.  I sat in an M3 for over an hour the other day just because I thought it was funny watching them look for me (and I was bored of fighting the horde).  It shouldn't have taken that long to find me.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 10:14:07 AM »
I've been saying it for years.

Bring back the pre-Storch GV icons.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 10:36:11 AM »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 02:17:36 PM »
The Stork doesn't have pre-change GV icons? I thought it did as to give it purpose!?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 04:05:50 PM »
The Stork doesn't have pre-change GV icons? I thought it did as to give it purpose!?

I think it is supposed to have a longer icon range, but I have flown it over GVs and you still get no icon at all.

If GVs are engine off and in certain trees, bamboo, and bushes there is no icon, even in a storch (rendering it too useless).   The "no icon bushes" are really the lamest, because they are actually smaller than some of the tanks they completely obscure from the air.
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 07:38:31 PM »
remove 70% of the trees and put everything back to AH2 standards
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2023, 04:18:01 PM »
Do you want the GV’ers to take down all of the ords at every base?

Then you will be spending all of your time driving M-3’s or C-47’s.

:D
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 04:34:29 PM »
Do you want the GV’ers to take down all of the ords at every base?

Then you will be spending all of your time driving M-3’s or C-47’s.

:D

They'd need to take bombers to do that, because they wuoldn't be able to drive into shelling range. :devil
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2023, 01:42:53 AM »
Could it be done a way that I have no GV icon and my opponents visible from 5K..?     :cool:

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 10:43:51 PM »
Could it be done a way that I have no GV icon and my opponents visible from 5K..?     :cool:

Yes, you can do this offline.  :)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2023, 05:06:58 PM »
IMHO the icons are working exactly as they should. If you cannot find a GV without a decent search then no icon is as it should be.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2023, 10:08:33 PM »
If you cannot find a GV without a decent search then no icon is as it should be.

The problem is that decent search efforts don't work. Even extensive searching by multiple people flying mere feet above them doesn't work, because they are now invisible.

I don't believe that is how it was intended, which is why I am suggesting it be addressed.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2023, 02:35:25 PM »
Try the M-8. I find the afk gv 9 times out of 10. 

There are some gv’ers that are really good at hiding.
I can only name a few off the top of my head. PTBop hides a golden colored wirble in green foliage.  Unbelievable. That is exceptional.

Vulcan can hide a Jeep better than anyone. Slaxer is great at hiding a T-34/85. There are others that are really good.

Instead of complaining, go out with the M-8 and find them. The gv dar bar is pretty small. Take a buddy with you and you can cover more territory.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)