Author Topic: Risking the fleet  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Risking the fleet
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2023, 09:11:33 AM »
3k to 5k of crew makes it the prime target

A nuclear war is all but guaranteed if one were to ever take a serious military strike imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2023, 09:30:01 AM »
No navy officer wants to be the one who begins Armageddon.   

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2023, 09:27:00 PM »
That new US Army commercial with the kid trying to convince his mom that going half way around the world to kick in doors house to house is on point.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2023, 10:38:14 PM »
The End had to come sooner or later. I would have preferred later.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2023, 12:36:49 PM »

Risking two fleets now.   

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2023, 12:52:04 PM »
Risking two fleets now.

It is the nature of warship to be placed in harms way.

Sending warships into hotspots to project America's power and will, is the purpose of their existance.

If that is unacceptable, then they should be decommissioned and converted to Carnival Cruise ships.

Of course, I'm sure they are exercising the necessary fleet security disciplines, but a warship can't do it's job from a home port. 

« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 12:56:18 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2023, 12:55:29 PM »
Risking two fleets now.

Three actually.

Ford, The Ike, and the Carl Vinson.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2023, 03:12:07 PM »
IN!!

Also, imo, they should send the Ronald Reagan to the Black Sea just to bring back memories of the "good ol' days" for Mr Putin.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2023, 03:13:38 PM »
Risking two fleets now.

It's pretty laughable that you think any country in the Middle East (other than Israel and maybe not even them) has the capability to breach the defenses of an American carrier battle group.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2023, 03:23:11 PM »
Who would have imagined the USS Cole attack would ever happen before it did?

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2023, 06:45:11 PM »
The U.S.S. Cole was one ship, not an entire CV battle group. Apples to asparagus on this one.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2023, 07:26:19 PM »
In the 90s fiction book "Nimitz Class" the books carrier "Thomas Jefferson" is nuclear torpedoed by a rogue Submarine captain.

Of course, the US prevents nuclear war by sending in the worlds top agent/Tomcat Pilot to hunt the terrorist captain and kill him.

I don't think we'd be that lucky. Somebody would be turned into a glass parking lot or worse. Thankfully, I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to try it.. But if it does you can credit author Patrick Robinson.

There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2023, 06:55:21 AM »
The U.S.S. Cole was one ship, not an entire CV battle group. Apples to asparagus on this one.

And who thought it was ever possible?

Sadly this day and age I wouldn't be too sure some group is not that stupid..

Eagler

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2023, 10:21:33 AM »
I follow this guy on Twitter. No idea how reliable he is. If this is accurate things could get real pretty fast.

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1713790319701995899
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2023, 12:18:14 PM »

I just got back from 4 days out at my cabin on some land about 20 miles north of Stephenville Tx. I occasionally get military traffic pass over from Ft Worth out to a training areas out by Brownwood.

All week I was seeing WAY more traffic than I had seen before.  Lots of F-16 and groups of 3 C-130 flying very low (~500ft AGL).  Helicopters of various types.  Not saying anything is up, but it was a notable increase in training tempo.  I probably saw more fly overs this last week than I had over the last 5-10 years.

Started to seem like an airshow.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.