Author Topic: Arena idea FR & RR  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
Arena idea FR & RR
« on: October 15, 2023, 09:33:05 AM »
I thought this setup of Full Realism and Relaxed Realism was a good ladder to climb.
Basically this had to do with just AC settings, but in this case it would be arena/terrain settings.

Newer pilots flew RR until they built their skills to eventually step in FR and run with the big dogs. It was a goal. Training > RR > FR.

I look at MA as RR, it has quite a few game type settings. Radar is a prime example. Its not
My idea is 2 smaller maps. One has gaming type settings such as MA is now, FR would be realistic true to life settings. Basically, one is a game, one is a sim, both played the same way,  AC have same settings, but arena settings are different. Many players claim to have left due to radar. This could welcome them back into a world of more realistic.

The idea certainly has pros and cons. Its a fleeting idea of an old concept.

Problem with this concept is it divides numbers. However, it could attract both gamers and simmers. Knowing HT flew these two concepts I知 sure they had reasons to not do this concept. But this is more about arena settings (and/or you can稚 fly easy mode in FR). We have unused arenas this could be implemented in.

All that said, its at the mercy if what HT is going to do, or not going to do with the future if them game. I知 nit of the throw in the towel concept.

The way arena setting are we could create one ourselves, dunno about dar.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 09:41:54 AM by Animl-AW »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Arena idea FR & RR
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 09:48:55 AM »
I think you identified the critical drawback:

Problem with this concept is it divides numbers.

Having said that, the Axis VS Allied Arena is still up and available - I just never see anybody in there.  But I think it does have shorter icon ranges; not sure about the other arena settings.  IIRC it attempted more realistic settings.  I enjoyed flying there in its heyday.

If we could just get the MA consistently up to 150+ during prime time evenings, I bet it could spare 20-30 of us, who could make a lot of fun in the AvA arena.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 09:58:25 AM »

Having said that, the Axis VS Allied Arena is still up and available - I just never see anybody in there.  But I think it does have shorter icon ranges; not sure about the other arena settings.  IIRC it attempted more realistic settings.  I enjoyed flying there in its heyday.

If we could just get the MA consistently up to 150+ during prime time evenings, I bet it could spare 20-30 of us, who could make a lot of fun in the AvA arena.

AvA is a part of realism. Everything realism. Was thinking the same about numbers. That said, it could also draw players. It all looks good, on paper. I知 of the NothingVenturedNothingGained tribe. Ideas flow with morning coffee :)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 10:57:50 AM »

In order of importance:

1 Monitzation model
2 In-game Graphics
3 UI Design
4 Fun:Hour Ratio (~transit times\player density)
5 Death of the Squeaker  (A game that has lost it's young people, has lost it's future.)

The sad part is, there is nothing there unfixable.  Until you fix those things, nothing else really matters.  The first 3 are blocking you from acquiring new players.  99.99996% have already decided to uninstall when they realize #1.  2 and 3 just seal the deal.  The last two contribute to dwindling numbers of existing players. 

Do what ever you want in terms of palliative care to amuse the current players while they are here, but the game will not grow without fixing the 5 above, IMHO.

Notice, no where did I say it was a bad sim.  Underneath it all, there is a solid simulation engine. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 12:54:47 PM »
In order of importance:

1 Monitzation model
2 In-game Graphics
3 UI Design
4 Fun:Hour Ratio (~transit times\player density)
5 Death of the Squeaker  (A game that has lost it's young people, has lost it's future.)

The sad part is, there is nothing there unfixable.  Until you fix those things, nothing else really matters.  The first 3 are blocking you from acquiring new players.  99.99996% have already decided to uninstall when they realize #1.  2 and 3 just seal the deal.  The last two contribute to dwindling numbers of existing players. 

Do what ever you want in terms of palliative care to amuse the current players while they are here, but the game will not grow without fixing the 5 above, IMHO.

Notice, no where did I say it was a bad sim.  Underneath it all, there is a solid simulation engine.

I知 just looking at things that make change with little if any coding required. Ask for too much ya get nothing.

People who left and people who remain are of different mindset. Everything listed has already been mentioned 1000 times. Every sim has issues that won稚 change that lose numbers. Every other sim is dropping, AH is not, anymore. They too will be where we are now. Seen it 100 times. Offering both worlds has advantages. A load of tweak in game as is goes a long way. People talk about graphics without ever pin pointing where. Clouds are the same, terrain is similar just toned back for slower machines. AC models and skins are just fine. Some sims are over-kill on haze that hides distance graphics for better data flow.. the core does not need an update, its just not wide open.

I知 nit going to repeat what we are well aware of.
I知 going with an idea that can work, update or not.

People who remain are more positive. More numbers means more money, which makes more incentive to fix things. Some of us have experience tirning things around. Weekened arena counts have come up to almost 150 from 90-110. Bring in players and make it worthy of updates/rweaks.

You have dead set in your mind that its over , its not.

Lets do 1001 repeat. Stay on subject. :)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 01:04:42 PM »
I知 just looking at things that make change with little if any coding required. Ask for too much ya get nothing.

That falls into the palliative care i mentioned.

That's fine.  There is nothing wrong with that in and of itself.  Make a video of the next event.  Make a plane skin.  Put on an event  for the dwindling number of people who will show up.

No harm in any of that as long as you are not deluding yourself or any other.

None of that will alter the trajectory.  If you don't care about the trajectory, then don't worry about it.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 01:38:25 PM »
BTW, you just used a passive aggressive approach to establishing a negative point on a fresh idea.

Opportunity to say it taken.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 01:51:58 PM »
BTW, you just used a passive aggressive approach to establishing a negative point on a fresh idea.

Opportunity to say it taken.

Were you only expecting people to tell you you are a genius?

I assume you were intending to make a suggestion to increase the recruitment of new players.  Obviously adding an RR arena would have no benefit to the existing players who have been here twenty years.

If I were being generous, I might say what you suggested my help with variable 5.  However they are not all of equal weight.  It's more logarithmic than linear.  The previous 4 items grossly dominate the 5th in effect. 

My point was there is nothing wrong with what you suggested but it will not likely have any beneficial effect given the dominance of the other variables.

You equate speaking the truth with being negative instead of just speaking what I feel is the truth.  You instead demand an Orwellian Right-Think at all times.    My replies were to Oboe not you, and they represent what I think is the state of the matter.  There was no personal attack but you sure want to start one.

If nothing else, it proves you are incapable of dealing with even the mildest constructive feedback. 

But we already knew that, didn't we?

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2023, 01:59:29 PM »

If nothing else, it proves you are incapable of dealing with even the mildest constructive feedback. 

But we already knew that, didn't we?

True story.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 02:16:14 PM »
True story.

And this was posted in the wrong topic. 

This belongs over in Wishlist, where all other ideas go to die.

;)

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023, 02:36:03 PM »

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2023, 02:36:43 PM »

;)

Beat it spammer.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2023, 02:39:17 PM »
Beat it spammer.

And if I don't?  What exactly are you going to do?

It must really grind you how little control you have over me.

That amuses me.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2023, 02:42:55 PM »

;)

Go ay DCS and complain about module prices, as you do there. You're off subject. This is about FR and RR. Stay on subject or leave. Very few appreciated your negative input, thread hijacking, DCS sakes pitches, and doomsday obsession. And many have stated so. Its not me. Its almost everyone. Slow learner.

Projecting yourself onto me like normal.

Its not me who wishes a short life on someone just because they DISAGREED WITH YOU. The more you talk the more I realize you know NOTHING.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 02:53:36 PM by Animl-AW »

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2023, 02:43:58 PM »
You値l get this thread locked like every thread you touch, just be gone.