Author Topic: Bases to dense  (Read 1152 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Bases to dense
« on: October 26, 2023, 12:51:02 PM »
Been reviewing my 3 maps, etoma, 3points, and blacksea. Beginning to think the bases maybe a little to dense. Was striving for faster action, but with bases only 12 to 15 miles apart, there is no time to realistically respond to an attack, or mount an attack. The aggressor can up from a base farther away, but that still leaves the defender at a significant disadvantage.  :uhoh
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Bases to dense
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 01:18:01 PM »
Been reviewing my 3 maps, etoma, 3points, and blacksea. Beginning to think the bases maybe a little to dense. Was striving for faster action, but with bases only 12 to 15 miles apart, there is no time to realistically respond to an attack, or mount an attack. The aggressor can up from a base farther away, but that still leaves the defender at a significant disadvantage.  :uhoh

Nah nah. Far away bases kill the fight. It's either one side ganging while the other side does not want to roll from a back base to defend because it's too far. So once the attack side caps the field, they almost always have it. Back fields are crucial to stopping hoards. Far away fields make it painstaking to fly to a field, only to die quickly. Once we get to "off hours" people leave quicker because it's too far to fly. You have to remember that AH already takes a while to find action if you are attacking a field. Flying another 10 miles is going to bored them to sleep. Closer bases provide quicker action and allow defenders to not have to spend 10-15 minutes flying from a back field to defend a base.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 01:22:25 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 02:13:29 PM »
Not enough players for larger maps

Small is best - who cares if they rollover quickly

Double the subs then enlarge the maps imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 02:15:50 PM »
Etoma could maybe lose a few bases. Three points could be a tad smaller maybe.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 03:07:06 PM »
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, I am currently working on a map of North America (minus some parts of Mexico & Alaska), with each country having 40 bases (that includes Task Groups). was thinking of reducing it to no more than 35 to 38. That would reduce the base overlap somewhat. Just a thought at this point.  :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 04:11:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, I am currently working on a map of North America (minus some parts of Mexico & Alaska), with each country having 40 bases (that includes Task Groups). was thinking of reducing it to no more than 35 to 38. That would reduce the base overlap somewhat. Just a thought at this point.  :D

Super excited for this one!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 04:27:40 PM »
I personally think 20-25 miles is the ideal distance between bases.  Am I alone in this?  It gives you plenty of time to grab some altitude and plenty of space to fight between the bases without getting too close to ack. 

I don't know the name of the map, but the map that was up Tuesday night had some really fun, low altitude fights.  I do think the closer the bases, the lower the fights will be (which I'm all for). 
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 04:40:19 PM »
I think its more important to create "battle areas" rather than have bases just to have bases. I'll tell what creates a lot of action, gv fields in-between 2 fighter bases. I'm telling you right now, people average are getting 6 kills per hour. That's extremely low already. Banshee is correct in that far fields also create much higher atl fighters and lead to more late war plane usage.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 04:51:10 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 05:14:53 PM »
Id say look at some of the older maps. sm isles, minadeo. How are the fights on those maps? Compare them to the newer maps, are the fights better?

I dont get to fly as much as Id like these days, but I do know I like to see one of the old maps up when I do log in. There just seems to be more action even if it is the usual spots.

The Newer maps might not be "known" enough yet to generate fights. At this point players are just grabbing bases for the win. What we need is some analytical guy to graph out the fighting on the maps.

Snail you ready to come out of retirement?  :devil

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 06:36:47 PM »
I do know I like to see one of the old maps up when I do log in. There just seems to be more action even if it is the usual spots.

NDISLES and Uterus will always be my two favorite maps for this reason.  Especially if no one tries to land grab in tank town/fighter town.
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 08:23:17 PM »
I personally think 20-25 miles is the ideal distance between bases.  Am I alone in this?  It gives you plenty of time to grab some altitude and plenty of space to fight between the bases without getting too close to ack. 

I don't know the name of the map, but the map that was up Tuesday night had some really fun, low altitude fights.  I do think the closer the bases, the lower the fights will be (which I'm all for).

I like some distance to get up to 15k and full speed before I get to any fight, almost never the base right next door.

As far as actual size of maps doesn’t bother me, But size of fighting land mass could be a consideration. Some of the old maps seem to tend to that.

IMO, Number of players will always matter, small or huge map. Not going to start s new convo with why big maps don’t bother me.

Frankly, not meaning to sound rash,…but I don’t see very much player movement on  correcting either issue. Has anyone talked to HT on the map issue, or do we not have maps to offer? I’m still a little out of the loop, I’m sure it shows.

I’m going to do a real “ad” vid. I’ve show what I wanted to in the first 3, the first 2 I’d rather delete. Don’t like em. Got vid speed wrong.

I’ll be up daily in 1-2 months.

But, ya, I actually desire some room to get proper alt.

Keep the faith. >
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 08:33:42 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 08:29:57 PM »
NDISLES and Uterus will always be my two favorite maps for this reason.  Especially if no one tries to land grab in tank town/fighter town.

Baltic and ND are my two faves. Unfortunately, they are a bit prone to going down fast when a horde is present so I don’t see them much. Can’t wait for the new ND to be uploaded.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2023, 08:38:06 PM »
I like some distance to get up to 15k and full speed before I get to any fight, almost never the base right next door.

As far as actually size of maps doesn’t bother me, But size of fighting land mass could be a consideration. Some of the old maps seem to tend to that.

IMO, Number of players will always matter, small or huge map. Not going to start s new convo with why big maps don’t bother me.

Frankly, not meaning to sound rash,…but I don’t see very many player movement on  correcting either issue. Has anyone talked to HT on the map issue, or do we not have maps to offer? I’m still a little out of the loop, I’m sure it shows.

I’m going to do a real “ad” vid. I’ve show what I wanted to in the first 3, the first 2 I’d rather delete. Don’t like em. Got vid speed wrong.

I’ll be up daily in 1-2 months.

But, ya, I actually desire some room to get proper alt.

Keep the faith.
>

I don’t know about everyone else but I do not think we should trim maps sizes. We should for sure keep a variety of all sizes. I also like three countries but that angers some people.

I will defend both if anyone cares to ask. The fact that AH caters to a large swath of combat sim types is always its core strength.

People tend to focus on the fast action, high revving flight sim portions. I would be willing to wager 40% or more of regular MA players only fly when they need to.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 08:41:05 PM by Dadtallica »

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2023, 08:38:12 PM »

You guys do great work. If you’re second guessing yourself I’m sure there is an educated reason. Sounds like a logical thought to me. I’m just glad you do what ya do.
>
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2023, 08:40:47 PM »
I don’t know about everyone else but I do not think we should trim maps sizes. We should for sure keep a variety of all sizes. I also like three countries but that angers some people.

I will defend both if anyone cares to ask. The fact that AH caters to a large swath of combat sim types is always its core strength.

People tend to focus on the fast action, high revving flight sim portions. I would be willing to wager 40% or more of regular MA players only fly when they need to.

I can agree with that.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks