Author Topic: Old Computer Upgrade  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Old Computer Upgrade
« on: October 31, 2023, 08:31:48 AM »
Hey All,

I have a custom built desktop PC that's 11 years old and I've noticed one of the GPU's is dying or dead. It has 2x HD Radeon 6700's that work with crossfire technology. Recently, I've noticed my PC was randomly turning off or losing video signal and I believe I've identified the culprit to be the top GPU.

Was hoping to secure an older/better GPU to replace both existing cards. I use this PC for everyday work stuff as well as some classic games like Silent Hunter III, Civ V, etc. Eventually, my gaming rig will replace this machine but I'd like to keep this one going for a bit longer. It has a 900W PSU so it should be able to take a decent upgrade HOWEVER - There are size restrictions for this case, So newer cards will probably not fit if they are over 7 or 8 inches. The current cards are 7 inches long.

OS Name   Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         950  @ 3.07GHz, 3060 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Manufacturer   EVGA
BaseBoard Product   131-GT-E767  - https://www.evga.com/products/pdf/131-GT-E767.pdf
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   16.0 GB DDR3

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 08:33:53 AM by Nefarious »
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Old Computer Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 06:52:43 PM »
How hard would it be to just swap everything to a larger case and then get longer video cards?
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 08:04:13 PM »
How hard would it be to just swap everything to a larger case and then get longer video cards?

I agree with Meat's idea here of migrating to a larger case - it will open up a lot more options for more powerful cards.  Might be a good time to add more storage too; switch to SSDs if you don't already have one...

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 07:12:42 AM »
I was given this PC because they was throwing it away because it was dead.

Intel Core i7-3820
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH X79 Rev 1.xx
32gb ram

the tower is similar to this but the full tower version that is discontinued  https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-000X-00288

You know the only problem was that the power button in the case went bad. Cheap fix since I replaced it with another one from a parts case. Worked perfectly after that.  :D
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 07:44:23 AM »

I agree with Meat's idea here of migrating to a larger case - it will open up a lot more options for more powerful cards.  Might be a good time to add more storage too; switch to SSDs if you don't already have one...

Ok. Ordered a new case.

I'll update when I can.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 01:31:08 PM »
Just FYI, I run AH with this kind of antique mill:

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro N for Workstations (10.0, Build 19045)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 4/8 0,0v, overclocked to base speed 4.10, running games 4.92GHz
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPower (MS-7751)
RAM: 16 GB @ 1600MHz
Hard disk1 (main disk): TS1TSSD220Q (931,5 GB/Fixed hard disk media)
Hard disk2 (storage): TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (931,5 GB/Fixed hard disk media)
Hard disk3 (internet): HUAWEI TF CARD Storage USB Device (0.0 bytes/)
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4 GB)
Monitor: STK S2-TEK TV (1920x1080 / 42,1 Inch)
Razer Cortex for optimizing
MSI Afterburner to slightly overclock the GPU

Runs AH easily over 100 fps. My son plays War Thunder and Enlisted, they run fine and he never even activates Razer or Afterburner.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 12:49:50 AM »
When you get a video card, try to buy one with full 16 PCIe lanes since you only have PCIe 2.0 on that motherboard.

Some newer low end video cards only have 8 lanes which could make them slow on a PCIe 2.0 motherboard.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 01:07:46 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 07:05:15 AM »
When you get a video card, try to buy one with full 16 PCIe lanes since you only have PCIe 2.0 on that motherboard.

Some newer low end video cards only have 8 lanes which could make them slow on a PCIe 2.0 motherboard.

Could you recommend or link a good card? Seems like the search results are all over the place for me.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2023, 07:13:41 AM »
There are size restrictions for this case, So newer cards will probably not fit if they are over 7 or 8 inches. The current cards are 7 inches long.

All you gotta do is buy this bad boy and you'll have a case for your new rig too :)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-cases/cc-9011148-ww/obsidian-series-1000d-super-tower-case-cc-9011148-ww

(it fits a full eATX system as well as a Mini-ITX system)  :devil

Another option - I assume it's just the hard drive bays that create the limited space? It's usually pretty easy to get a Dremel and cut them out unless it's a nice case with some value...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2023, 07:55:22 AM »
Another option - I assume it's just the hard drive bays that create the limited space? It's usually pretty easy to get a Dremel and cut them out unless it's a nice case with some value...

I'll have to take a look. That's not a bad idea actually.

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 11:50:04 AM »
Could you recommend or link a good card? Seems like the search results are all over the place for me.

For a graphic card that you could transfer to a newer cpu/motherboard when you upgrade that, I would recommend these minimum specs:

PCIe 4.0 x16
8GB memory or more
For AMD - Radeon RX 6700 or RX 7700 (or better)
For NVidia - RTX 3060 or RTX 4070 (or better)

A good performance reference is Tom's Hardware GPU Hierarchy chart https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I usually compare shop on Newegg and Amazon, occasionally Best Buy has good deals.

Oh, one brand I personally avoid is XFX, every XFX card I have ever owned died right after the warranty ran out.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 11:55:19 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2023, 05:01:24 PM »
Uhhh if you do an old computer upgrade, doesn't that require an older computer? I mean... if you took a newer computer and did an old computer upgrade, wouldn't that be going backwards?

This also reminds me of the time I changed all the screws out on a computer. I was laying under it looking up while doing the job. When finished, I got up and setup the computer only to realize it was all screwed up
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 05:07:35 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2023, 05:35:09 PM »
That's just screwy!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2023, 09:09:25 AM »
For a graphic card that you could transfer to a newer cpu/motherboard when you upgrade that, I would recommend these minimum specs:

PCIe 4.0 x16
8GB memory or more
For AMD - Radeon RX 6700 or RX 7700 (or better)
For NVidia - RTX 3060 or RTX 4070 (or better)

A good performance reference is Tom's Hardware GPU Hierarchy chart https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I usually compare shop on Newegg and Amazon, occasionally Best Buy has good deals.

Oh, one brand I personally avoid is XFX, every XFX card I have ever owned died right after the warranty ran out.

I have a 1080ti in my gaming rig, perhaps the thing to do is buy a new card for my gaming rig and move the 1080 to my work (older) pc.

thoughts?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2023, 10:30:20 AM »
I have a 1080ti in my gaming rig, perhaps the thing to do is buy a new card for my gaming rig and move the 1080 to my work (older) pc.

thoughts?

The newer cards are longer than a 1080

I had to get a new case so my 3070 fit

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals