Author Topic: Trimming your aircraft  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Trimming your aircraft
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2023, 10:15:53 AM »
My trims are on a hat switch, if you switch off CT or move the hat switch the trimming starts from the position the elevator and ailerons were at the change to manual trim. In manual off the hat switch the trim stays where you adjust to and doesn’t go back to nuetral as it does with the paddle. I tried it on a paddle and didn’t like it.

Thanks SNO ✌️

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DFATITAN

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2023, 12:51:36 PM »
I started turning my CT off and on as necessary during a fight and just trim up my elevator for more nose up/down about six months ago.  It seems to help a lot, especially when I'm trying to get my nose around in a turn or when I want to nose up in a climb fight.  It's definitely helped with my Mossie runs and German planes (still trying to get the hang of them after 20+ yrs).  I have my thumb wheel on my X-56 programmed and doesn't mess with my established mechanics, which aren't much to speak of  :)

I'll have to try the nose down trim to steady the nose bounce in some planes.  I love the KI61 and P-39, but problems steadying for a shot because of the bounce.

>S<!
TITAN
5" clay pigeon busting expert.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2023, 03:07:50 PM »
This thread has helped me figure out what's wrong with the way I was using manual trim...I think..

I have a TM1600 for throttle that I have elevator trim on the left side rotor and aileron trim on the paddle wing that is on the front..

When I go to manual trim .. trim is thrown off as aileron trim starts to spin to the setting the rotor was last left at..whereas if it's on a hat say, I would think it is neutral until you press that hat direction

The paddle is a temporary change in aileron trim as soon as you stop pressing the paddle it swings back to a center of some sort..

So I think I need to move things around and put trim on hats which should be interesting as then I will trim when I try to pull the map up or send a check 6...  :joystick:

:cheers:

Eagler

I regularly forget the whole CT, it's either on or off whole the time. I have also TM16000 with TWCS throttle and manual elevator trim I have programmed TWCS's rocker button 4/5.

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2023, 02:47:22 PM »
Manual trim on, I like to keep busy. Level flight hands off, speed I find needs to be stable. Older HOTAS are making it harder, but you can cruise for awhile with it.

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2023, 01:17:17 AM »
Can you trim a single engine plane in AH to fly hands off without using an auto level of some sort?

Eagler
i have actually used manual trim to rtb and land, great practice. have done so in RL with a 172
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2023, 07:13:04 AM »
Thanks ..the info here has helped me with using manual trim more accurately.

Taking elevator trim off the rotor and putting it on a hat has helped a bunch as trim stays set when I kick combat trim off.

I understand it better now realizing trim has to be constantly reset if speed changes.

I can now fly using just trim with the occasional CT pop to reset things if they get out if sync

CT kicks off when I adjust trim with the hat

Just have to get used to the new rudders and I might be able to hit something again

:cheers:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals