Author Topic: Bin this one.  (Read 501 times)

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
Bin this one.
« on: November 17, 2023, 10:47:28 PM »
It might have worked if there was an attempt at balance in numbers or weaponry or tasking.

Continuing to deprive a side that starts with a deficit of 13/14 players, of capability as well, doesn't seem a good plan to encourage people to keep up their attendance.
Better luck next time.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Bin this one.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 06:00:33 AM »
It might have worked if there was an attempt at balance in numbers or weaponry or tasking.

Continuing to deprive a side that starts with a deficit of 13/14 players, of capability as well, doesn't seem a good plan to encourage people to keep up their attendance.
Better luck next time.

You won't have to worry about that one Dantoo.

I am leaving the game and disbanding the 412th at the end of the year, So you will never see this one or me ever again. <S>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 07:27:10 AM »
... I am leaving the game and disbanding the 412th at the end of the year, So you will never see this one or me ever again. <S>

Dang it!  Say it ain't so, Nefarious! 

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 08:01:27 AM »

I am leaving the game and disbanding the 412th at the end of the year, So you will never see this one or me ever again. <S>

Why so?
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline MDStampf93

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 11:04:58 AM »

Sorry to hear this news Nef…  :frown:
MDStampf - JG11 'Sonderstaffel'
Sgt Stampfli, USMC

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Rascal43

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 11:44:43 AM »

Seems like a lot of leaving the game lately.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 12:00:57 PM »

I'm sorry to hear this Nef. I appreciate all that you have done for the game, and for me personally.

:salute
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 12:15:59 PM »
Sad to see you leave, Nef.

Is there not anyone in the 412th that wants to keep the squad running?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023, 03:45:51 PM »
So sad to hear this Nef, you are a Pillar of the community and will be greatly missed.I wish you well in what ever else you plan to do.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2023, 06:40:53 PM »

199/200 of your designs have been 10/10.  For decades your input has provided a wealth of joy and challenge for all of us. 
It's always been a problem that feedback is rarely positive because everybody that enjoyed the latest Nefarious gem is off celebrating somewhere.  We do need more positive public comment.
If there is a positive side to negative comment there isn't a constant stream of it.   It can usually be filtered between some who are readily disgruntled and those who actually care enough to take the risk of saying something that might cause upset. 

On this last frame the squad and I hung on to the end.  The 7 of us there over the last hour kept up as high a tempo as we could manage, not just to amuse ourselves, but to keep at least something happening for the rest who stayed.  We don't want people just walking away because they had a bad month.
We did get some fun out of it and I will venture that it is an important responsibility for squads to invest in their energy in their own entertainment at least as much as depending upon others to do it for them.

It is the nature of the player base that Eastern Front and early Pacific setups have demonstrated low turnouts for VVS and IJN over a very long time.  Side strengths on paper may look good but game day reality bites.  This I fear was another in the pattern.

We can't afford to lose anybody to the game, especially the good ones.

I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline OldDoom

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2023, 08:36:16 PM »
Nef,

I hope you will reconsider but I dont blame you if you go, you have put in a lot of hard work for a long time and we have all reaped the benfits/fun.

<S> OldDoom

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2023, 09:07:04 AM »
Thanks guys, but it's time for me to hang it up.

This time last year, I promised that I would stay on for another year because it was uncertain that FSO would continue into 2023 without major scheduling changes.

To me, I felt it was unfair to those who continue to participate in FSO and I would do my best to keep it going. A few years ago, I mentioned that I would stay until I was the last pilot left. But for the last several years I've been dealing with real life stuff with family and work and it's finally caught up with me. The game just isn't providing the fun factor it used to and the obligations to the community here as well as my family and work are exhausting.

I will distribute orders to the 412th through the end of the year and it appears that our core group of guys will continue through December. After that I will be disbanding the squad at ahevents.net.

I wish you all the best.

Be early and ready to fly and fight! <S>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!