Author Topic: Carbon Passports may be the answer!  (Read 2476 times)

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
Re: Carbon Passports may be the answer!
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2023, 08:08:26 PM »
cant control forest fires but you can control gas engines.   the sad thing is back in the 80 we had a car that gave 68 miles per gallon.  why cant we do better now?

semp

As the EV fails, tell us how you would "control" combustion engine use. 
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2023, 09:14:34 PM »
As the EV fails, tell us how you would "control" combustion engine use.

i was more like make gas engines more efficient. 68 miles in the 80's should be 200 now.  tell me why it doesnt happen.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2023, 09:21:46 PM »
i was more like make gas engines more efficient. 68 miles in the 80's should be 200 now.  tell me why it doesnt happen.

semp

Might ask those on your side, because if we were to delete the EGR valves on our trucks, our fuel mileage might  double.  Imagine every semi across America getting twice the fuel mileage.   
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2023, 10:50:02 PM »
cant control forest fires but you can control gas engines.   the sad thing is back in the 80 we had a car that gave 68 miles per gallon.  why cant we do better now?

semp

Air quality around LA was worst in the 50's-70's, and improved a lot from there with emission controls on cars and industry.

I lived around LA from mid '80's to about 2000.  The place is ringed by mountains, has onshore flow from the ocean, and temperature inversions at altitude.  It is giant air-pollution trap.  In the 50's, some folks suggested using underground nukes to blow a notch in the mountains to allow air flow.  That would have been interesting.

The market (if you let it) gives folks what they want.  If they want 68 mpg cars enough, someone would make money selling them.  Lots of folks want and buy electric cars.  Of course, in 2035 in CA, all new car sales will be electric (or at least that is the current plan -- we'll see if that is achievable).  Air pollution in the LA basin will probably continue to improve.

Offline TryHard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2023, 06:17:25 AM »

semp

Thank your friends over at the EPA for killing off the lean-burn gasoline engine.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2023, 08:15:01 AM »
Ev without the infrastructure to serve them...from charging stations to inadequate electrical grids...

The cart before the horse..on purpose to force this agenda

What about the rest of the globe that requires oil..you know like for that thing called plastic?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2023, 09:45:31 AM »
Funny little tidbit I noticed.... plastic straws come with a paper wrapper, paper straws come with a plastic wrapper.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2023, 11:26:29 AM »

semp

Just asking for info here. What brand / make car was that? I personally don't recall that.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2023, 11:31:14 AM »
Just asking for info here. What brand / make car was that? I personally don't recall that.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2023, 11:41:14 AM »
IMO given the tech level we have now, EV's are not practical for our current society with unlimited travel abilities. Should some kind of law come down like prohibiting interstate or even international travel then there is a possibility that EV's with today's tech "could" be viable as basically little "town cars" suitable for daily activities like going to work and or everyday errands.

That is assuming the electrical grid is enlarged with sufficient capacity to support the load of all those vehicles and the necessary charging stations be available to service the needs of that kind of thing. Personally, I don't see that happening and the folks pushing it also do not see that happening in a free market setting. Hence the "executive orders" from both federal and some state governments requiring the peasantry participate.

The pushback and failed examples are already becoming evident that the situation cannot happen as envisioned by the promoters or politicians dictating it.

The current petroleum based system we have came about because the public saw the efficiency over animal based individual transportation and the demand drove the infrastructure construction based on the energy efficiency of oil. The Government did not require it or mandate it.

Until the tech can compete openly and perform better than oil based transportation, it is not going to happen. I see a viable hybrid system as a good compromise currently, same as based on diesel electric train tech that has been in use for multiple decades because it was cheaper and more efficient than steam.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2023, 04:44:21 PM »
I'd feel edgy about getting an electric car because of fires.  That fear might be irrational -- a sampling error on my part, as I see news on horrible electric-car fires but none on gas cars and fires.  Also familiarity with gas cars my whole life, so less perceived risk even if not true.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2023, 08:31:43 PM »

I dont remember exactly but it was a hatchback, maybe a honda?  I remember watching the commercials and thinking I should buy one.

semp

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2023, 10:10:36 AM »
I really was hoping for something practical, not an experimental cut down test vehicle. That cutaway car wouldn't be street legal given the lack of full body and other equipment. Note I couldn't watch the video, all I could see was a still of the "car". My internet has been down for over 24 hours and using my phone as a hot spot doesn't work well given there is only 1 to 2 bars in my neighborhood and it only works inside my house in the kitchen window. I remember dial up working better.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2023, 10:47:15 AM »
The Mad   CatMan!