Author Topic: Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS Info wanted  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS Info wanted
« on: December 02, 2023, 10:29:45 AM »
Can anyone give input on this stick, and if it handles nose bounce well? I could read through the entire forum, I'm just busy and lazy today (oxymoron).

Thanks in advance.

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS Info wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 11:28:38 AM »
My experience with this stick is that it bounces all over not just the nose even after messing with scaling and dead zones.

In my experience other then having more buttons it's not any more precise then the $49 thrustmaster hotas.

I know lots of other guys use it and may be able to be more helpful.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 12:10:23 PM »
Can anyone give input on this stick, and if it handles nose bounce well? I could read through the entire forum, I'm just busy and lazy today (oxymoron).

Thanks in advance.

I've been using the T-16000m for several years, albeit I'm on my 4th one.

For the money, you won't find a more precise stick. The TM T.Flight Hotas X is a sloppy mess, and the Logitech 3D Pro is so stiff in the pivot that the base will come up off your desk before you reach the limits of travel.

The main issue with the T-16000M is that the Z-axis sensor has a tendency to fail after only a few of months of moderate use. At first it will present itself as blips of full rudder input, but eventually it will just become permanently locked.

My current stick is still fine in this regard after almost a year, but the previous two needed replacement after only a couple of months each. My first T-16000M (a first generation model) had no issue with the Z-axis and lasted over 5 years before the trigger and hat switches wore out.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 12:15:45 PM »
I started my virtual pilot career with TM Hotas X, which I then changed to T16000M and IMO the latter is much more precise. When checking axis via controller properties, only wrist twitch is unstable but I don't use it. I'm sure there are lots of better sticks, but for my skills 16000 is so far good enough.
The Mad   CatMan!

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 12:41:08 PM »
Quick check on amazon and VKB showed:
T16000M Hotas for $149
X52 Hotas for $159
X56 Hotas for $234
VKB Gladiator NXT EVO ‘WWII Combat Edition’ $120

I have used the X56 for many years and other then the buttons wearing out think that it is a much better stick if it's in your budget in that price range. That said I have not tried the VKB Gladiator but I've heard enough good stuff about it that I plan to buy that one next time I need a replacement.

I used the X52 back in the day and I liked it better then the T16000M

I think the thing I don't like about the T16000M is that (to me) it feels stiff and that it doesn't have as much of a length of travel to deflection as the other sticks listed. I get the same feeling when I've used the $49 TM hotas.

I can fly pretty close to the same with the TM hotas and the T16000M and about 25% better with the X52 and X56. YMMV

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 03:12:20 PM »
I consider myself lucky that I still have the original X52 and saitek pedals from 2007 and they are in great like new shape. I took a bit of a break of course but it still works really well. No drift in my axis either knock on wood.

AH is the only game that does not recognize some buttons. It’s never registered the pinky trigger one for me ever and recently the X/Z rotations on the throttle stopped working. AH recognizes them in the controller mapping but the not ever work to no matter what I have them set to. I used to  have them set to analog up/down and left/right views. They all work fine in IL 1946 (only other sim I play) and they show up on the windows properties.

I was actually looking at the X56 on Amazon yesterday and I wish I needed it lol. It sure does look nice.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 06:05:50 PM »
Back in band camp I had some cheap TM, maybe $39,.... I did well with it.

I figure anything over $200 I may just go Virpil. Heard and read good things, but don't know many that have one to get the input.
By the time I priced out the exact setup I want it came to around $750. If the numbers were at their peak, that's where I'd go. That's not where we are.

Before my grand gaming PC got struck by lightning in 09, I had about $600 worth of outboard gear.
My very old X56 is just shot. It was okay when it was new. I'm looking to try something different. Too bad I can't test drive them.

The TM wearing out that fast doesn't sound inviting. Sounds like I'd have to commit to replacing it every 6mos -1yr. I could probably service a sensor myself. That said, several of the more seasoned pilots I know seem to use the TM. There must be a reason, despite it's cons. I read about others changing the spring for better movement. The mention of nose bounce scares me.
Reduced nose bounce alone would give me more accuracy than I have now.

Kinda blind purchasing. I'd be POed if I got another stick with a crazy nose bounce issue with AH. I don't play any other game/sim, so that matters.
Indecisive. For whatever reason I just want to lean towards TM.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 08:27:11 AM »
I was a TM customer for over 20 years, upgrading as new HOTAS became available.  During that time the company customer support has dramatically declined and I found myself having to provide maintenance on my HOTAS several times a year.  The final straw was when TM told me that they were no longer selling parts for self maintenance and wanted me to buy new equipment.

I switched to Virpil equipment about eight years ago and have been MUCH happier.  The equipment is better designed, more precise, and trouble free.  Customer support has been outstanding.  Aside from occasional exterior cleaning of the HOTAS for hand oils, there is no maintenance.  For the cost of new TM gear there are much better options out there.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 01:15:35 PM »
I was a TM customer for over 20 years, upgrading as new HOTAS became available.  During that time the company customer support has dramatically declined and I found myself having to provide maintenance on my HOTAS several times a year.  The final straw was when TM told me that they were no longer selling parts for self maintenance and wanted me to buy new equipment.

I switched to Virpil equipment about eight years ago and have been MUCH happier.  The equipment is better designed, more precise, and trouble free.  Customer support has been outstanding.  Aside from occasional exterior cleaning of the HOTAS for hand oils, there is no maintenance.  For the cost of new TM gear there are much better options out there.

Thanks for the input. Ya I guess when any company stops supporting or selling parts, it's got issues they just got exhausted with. Sounds like they turned into dishonest brokers. I've watched many videos of the same complaints. Great stick, for a while.

Last night I started looking at VKB Gladiator NXT EVO ‘WWII Combat Edition’  Sounds like a good stick, but the clicking buttons would drive me nuts.
I may end up with Virpil as an x-mas present to myself, and be done with it.

Reading the General the last 24 hrs (better yet last several days) warrants second thoughts on further investment, since it's the only game I play, and won't play another after it.  There's no future in such idiocy. <shrug>

Thanks again, <S>
we'll see.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 11:40:45 AM »
I've bought a bunch of T16000M's.  (For daughter, dad, nephews, some pals.)

I think they are good.  They have lasted and perform well.

My opinion:

T16000M -- best twisty stick, also best for the money
CH Products Flightstick -- best for higher money, is not twisty and needs pedals as well
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro -- the cheapest stick that I think is still acceptable, not my favorite as is too stiff

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 12:14:38 PM »
Anybody know how the: Gladiator NXT EVO ‘WWII Combat Edition' compares to the CHproducts stick? They're about the same price.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2023, 03:59:07 PM »
I've bought a bunch of T16000M's.  (For daughter, dad, nephews, some pals.)

I think they are good.  They have lasted and perform well.

My opinion:

T16000M -- best twisty stick, also best for the money
CH Products Flightstick -- best for higher money, is not twisty and needs pedals as well
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro -- the cheapest stick that I think is still acceptable, not my favorite as is too stiff

I have all Ch products but they are long in the tooth. I would shy away from CH as they sold out some years back and they are not the company they were years ago. They are also 8bit and much like some other companies, they are no longer working to improve their product.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2023, 06:20:24 PM »
8bit?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2023, 08:00:13 AM »
I used the tm1600 combo withch pedals when I went from the x52 to a warthog..I don't recall any nose bounce issues

Still use the tm1600 throttle

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2023, 08:48:58 PM »
Well, my 16 yr old x52 coughin blood tonight. Only getting 50% response on movements, almost broke it in half just trying to make a turn, it was creaking. lol.

SO, choice needs to be made.

Sure seems like a lot use TM. No parts sold and clicking buttons bothers me. Other then that, decent reviews.

Virpil so tempting. Who is using which Virpil? Can I use my Logitech throttle along side it, or do they need to be chained with same brand? I bet I know the answer, just wunderin if I missed something.

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks