Author Topic: The future of warfare  (Read 2400 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Re: The future of warfare
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2023, 09:13:58 PM »
You can see the jamming happening right now in most recent drone footage. I don't think Russia was ready for the drone menace early on. But jammers/jamming is pretty common now in Ukraine. If you see any drone footage where a drone is diving in on a target and they go static as they approach that's the jamming happening.

For now, they have limitations. The race is on for countermeasures for jamming and also jam proof signals.

Are you sure that isn't just line of sight loss?  If that is jamming they are waiting a little late.  Usually on those they show a view from a second drone recording the approach and impact.

I remember at the beginning they had some raygun things, but you had to see the drone coming and aim at it.  Not sure how that would work if you were being swarmed with 50.

And jamming will only be effective until they get autonomous AI drones, which might not be as far off as you would think.

This is all so weird to watch on youtube.  It's the live proving grounds for the next conflict coming soon with russia and china.  Feel like watching WWII weapons and tactics being proved out in the Spanish Civil War right before the big one. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2023, 06:07:09 AM »
Are you sure that isn't just line of sight loss?  If that is jamming they are waiting a little late.  Usually on those they show a view from a second drone recording the approach and impact.

I remember at the beginning they had some raygun things, but you had to see the drone coming and aim at it.  Not sure how that would work if you were being swarmed with 50.

And jamming will only be effective until they get autonomous AI drones, which might not be as far off as you would think.

This is all so weird to watch on youtube.  It's the live proving grounds for the next conflict coming soon with russia and china.  Feel like watching WWII weapons and tactics being proved out in the Spanish Civil War right before the big one.

I guess it could be a combination of both. I just saw a video a few days ago describing the jamming and the drone fell from the sky from loss of control and power.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2023, 08:10:01 AM »
Are they jamming our predator drones consistently?

Matter of time before they get around that obstacle

Military use is just one way drones can be used

I think of terrorism...the right attack there would have the same affect as sinking a carrier imo...might even be more effective

How well does a jet engine digest a decent size drone?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2023, 10:02:56 AM »
I guess it could be a combination of both. I just saw a video a few days ago describing the jamming and the drone fell from the sky from loss of control and power.

I definitely saw some of that early on.  At least a Ukrainian version.  But it seemed to have limited range, narrow effective angle.  Point and "shoot" which implies you have to know the drone is coming and where it is.  Probably not always the case.  A lot of those vids the guys didn't seem to know it was there until a grenade landed next to them. 

But it is going to be an innovation\counter-innovation battle.  That doesn't sound like something the russians will be good at.  Innovation is not really in their DNA.  And it would take them time to steal the technology.  Same with the chinese.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2023, 10:35:55 AM »
The fact that a drone can be the size of a dragonfly takes jamming out of the equation imo

The attack doesn't have to be large or spectacular just effective

The right mini drone flown at high speed into the right persons eye could flip the place on its ear

Eagler
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 11:35:58 AM by Eagler »

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2023, 11:15:31 AM »
The fact that a drone can be the size of a dragonfly takes jamming out of the equation imo

Not necessarily. Think of the jamming like a wifi signal. The drone flies into the signal and it causes it's own signals to get scrambled the closer it gets to the source, which would be located at or near the target.

Everything else you mentioned is most certainly true. Strange times we live in.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2023, 11:46:00 AM »
True but thinking about more of singular not expected uses ..unless throwing out drone jamming signals become SOP for setting up for things like campaign speeches..

Seems like it would be harder to locate the attacker than say a rifle shot..

Eagler

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2023, 11:53:42 AM »
It's possible drones will go into autonomous mode when jammed. Some likely do. An emp could disable them but it may not be difficult to shield them.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2023, 12:22:48 PM »
True but thinking about more of singular not expected uses ..unless throwing out drone jamming signals become SOP for setting up for things like campaign speeches..

Seems like it would be harder to locate the attacker than say a rifle shot..

Eagler

I'm would put dollars to donuts that the technology is already in use for high ranking officials.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2023, 01:39:12 PM »
Obviously one already planted cocaine in the Whitehouse as a test.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2023, 03:38:46 PM »
Obviously one already planted cocaine in the Whitehouse as a test.

Hunter class drone. ;)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2023, 08:16:55 PM »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2023, 08:43:34 PM »
Not necessarily. Think of the jamming like a wifi signal. The drone flies into the signal and it causes it's own signals to get scrambled the closer it gets to the source, which would be located at or near the target.

Everything else you mentioned is most certainly true. Strange times we live in.

Anyone want a start a company with me making 2.4Ghz homing missiles (i.e they home in on 2.4Ghz wifi signals :noid )

OH: or build a fail safe mode into your drone that when it's signal gets jammed it aims for the nearest 2.4Ghz signal.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2023, 09:39:23 PM »
Successfully deploying AGM-88 (HARM) missiles in a sim is satisfying. 

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2023, 07:43:48 AM »
To dehumanizing warfare while keeping it profitable seems like a noble goal for our corrupt leaders..

Just think, they can have "ceasefires" like the Israeli mess and permit the "civilians" to evacuate and aid to be rendered to some level then restart the drone war up again..

It could become a new form of nightly entertainment..almost sports like as the news try to drum up patriotic support for the latest "victory"..

The black mirror episode of the pollinating bees gone bad is another possibility..

Eagler