Author Topic: The future of warfare  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
The future of warfare
« on: December 03, 2023, 08:30:18 AM »
Drone swarms..US testing:

Interesting sci fi about a possible future..

Interesting times ahead

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: The future of warfare
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 07:23:17 PM »
Terminators are coming  :noid
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 07:25:48 PM »
You laugh but some supposedly smart people are predicting that AI is gonna get out of control in some way...

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 08:09:38 AM »

Happening now

Drones are po boys cruise missiles ... we will see more and more of this

It's the swarms that will be the real threat...not sure what we have that could take out a couple hundred attacking simultaneously..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 09:06:35 AM »
The raging clue to warfare changing drastically was when the defense contractors were producing vehicles that have crew options as low as zero.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 09:56:41 AM »

Happening now

Drones are po boys cruise missiles ... we will see more and more of this

It's the swarms that will be the real threat...not sure what we have that could take out a couple hundred attacking simultaneously..

Eagler

A swarm of anti-drone drones.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 09:59:16 AM »
My guess is the response to swarm drones will be directed EMP pulses and or simple frequency jamming.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 10:40:43 AM »
An emp would probably be effective today but drones could be autonomous and hardened against emp.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 10:45:56 AM »
The Feds knew this years ago when they adopted stricter rules and regs for private US drones.

Doesn't really matter though, that's not going to stop criminals from doing criminal things. Look for a major terror attack on US soil using drones like we see in Ukraine.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2023, 11:02:02 AM »

For better or worse, I suspect it will greatly expand the frequency of military conflict.

The ability to engage with force where strategy or interests dictate, without the optics of US servicemen coming home in zinc caskets, would be seeing a liberating to many military planners.

Like the Battle of Fallujah.  Before sending in 18 yo marines, you send in a couple of thousand ground terminators and swarms of semi-autonomous hunter-killer copter drones that can  scoot around and go in doors and fly up stairwells until it finds an optical\infrared heat source than matches it's engagement profile, then zooms straight to the face area and detonates an fragmentation device.  Or thousands and thousands of spider bots crawling around on the ground, going up walls and ceilings going after any targets then spring on them and detonating double ought shell at the target.  All run by Mil-GPT10 networked AI.

Then the marines just come in later to look for intel and double tap anything still twitching.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2023, 05:01:25 PM »

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2023, 06:03:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/i/status/1731502334444810685

I'm afraid he's right. I watched a video the other day where a Russian was trapped around some type of cart and the drone was flying circles around this dude, the operator was messing with him. Eventually the dude couldn't escape it and it killed him.

All the while the video was playing, Flight of the Bumblebee was the audio.

What a time to be alive.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2023, 02:15:49 PM »
I'm afraid he's right. I watched a video the other day where a Russian was trapped around some type of cart and the drone was flying circles around this dude, the operator was messing with him. Eventually the dude couldn't escape it and it killed him.

All the while the video was playing, Flight of the Bumblebee was the audio.

What a time to be alive.

Shoulder fired aimed EMP weapons have been designed, patented and are in testing since 2019. Their primary purpose is to scramble the electronics of small lethal drones. Seems to work and is relatively inexpensive. It's a piezoelectric generator with focused antenna attached to an M4 rifle. It uses the energy of a blank cartridge.

AeroVironment's Switchblade 300 has a 20+ km range at 63 mph. 18 km with 100 mph sprint speed. Under development now are autonomous, AI operated drone killer drones. One can only wonder how fast the modern battlefield will disappear like Napoleonic tactics...
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2023, 03:44:44 PM »
Only explosively pumped EMP weapons are strong enough.   
Seen so many drones drop grenades on a Russian soldier firing his romulan disruptor right up to impact.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2023, 07:14:38 PM »
Shoulder fired aimed EMP weapons have been designed, patented and are in testing since 2019. Their primary purpose is to scramble the electronics of small lethal drones. Seems to work and is relatively inexpensive. It's a piezoelectric generator with focused antenna attached to an M4 rifle. It uses the energy of a blank cartridge.

AeroVironment's Switchblade 300 has a 20+ km range at 63 mph. 18 km with 100 mph sprint speed. Under development now are autonomous, AI operated drone killer drones. One can only wonder how fast the modern battlefield will disappear like Napoleonic tactics...

You can see the jamming happening right now in most recent drone footage. I don't think Russia was ready for the drone menace early on. But jammers/jamming is pretty common now in Ukraine. If you see any drone footage where a drone is diving in on a target and they go static as they approach that's the jamming happening.

For now, they have limitations. The race is on for countermeasures for jamming and also jam proof signals.