Author Topic: IL2 sale any good? Dunno what the "normal" prices are  (Read 9763 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Re: IL2 sale any good? Dunno what the "normal" prices are
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2023, 03:08:09 PM »
I think the fact that this post not being locked should be a red flag to all of you in it.
Aces High III - Masters of the Air Scenario (video)
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=Ct5p_Vv0YXgmRxKs

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2023, 03:51:53 PM »
I know it might be hard for you to see through all your hate Animl-AW and you might find it shocking that I am currently helping somebody build a PC who wants to get back flying AH via PMs...

Offline TryHard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2023, 06:21:40 PM »
I think the fact that this post not being locked should be a red flag to all of you in it.

I surprised it took you 5 pages of this thread before you had a little hissy fit

I bet 2 :)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2023, 06:28:22 PM »
I surprised it took you 5 pages of this thread before you had a little hissy fit

I was waiting.  I was like, "Oh, this is going to be good." ;)
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2023, 09:06:45 PM »
I know it might be hard for you to see through all your hate Animl-AW and you might find it shocking that I am currently helping somebody build a PC who wants to get back flying AH via PMs...

Who knew flight sims were the Highlander of video games… there can be only one.

I read this whole thread and I still logged into AH tonight. I must be weird.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2023, 10:12:37 PM »
Also one other note to the major differences between AH and IL2 and why they are not the same and have alternate appeal.

Most people know about the expansive and immersive AH WWII plane/item set and the capture the flag map styles are what make it a unicorn in current sims.

All IL2 has is the career/missions mode but they are severely lacking unless you mod and even then you have to fly for a long time in a set path. I have only played IL2 1946 myself but you have to wait FOREVER to get to the target of a mission and some missions you never do anything but fly.

With AH you still do all that but it’s up to you what happens next.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2023, 12:35:28 AM »
For sure it's different. AH is more like playing an arcade game. Fast paced etc. Il2 is more like a flight sim, flight modeling collisions etc.

So for the online stuff for me has been boring but I'm still learning too. My first 2 sorties I flew around and found nothing to fight. First one I deadsticked back to base because of a light fuel load. 2nd one I managed to land but got kicked on the runway for "inactivity" and I'll let you know how the 3rd one goes :)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2023, 01:06:10 AM »
For sure it's different. AH is more like playing an arcade game. Fast paced etc. Il2 is more like a flight sim, flight modeling collisions etc.

So for the online stuff for me has been boring but I'm still learning too. My first 2 sorties I flew around and found nothing to fight. First one I deadsticked back to base because of a light fuel load. 2nd one I managed to land but got kicked on the runway for "inactivity" and I'll let you know how the 3rd one goes :)

Of course most of that is down to the mission designer.  You might try dabbling a bit in the editor to tweak something exactly to your tastes. 
It's possible the enemy passed by and you didn't see them?
have you tried the time accel?

I wouldn't call AH an arcade.  Any simulation has to make a design decision on where they draw the line and what they simulate and what they don't.  AH decided not to include stuff like engine managements and IL2 and DCS did.  It's not wrong, just drawing the line in a different place. 

The FM for the pony in DCS felt ... something a little more dynamic and fluid.  Can put my finger on why, but it was pretty close to AH.  The fact I couldn't put my finger on it shows how close they are anyway.  DCS is more of a study sim.  They went hilt deep in fidelity and all the trouble of working the engine and all the little details.  AH drew the line in a different place because they went for a broader approach of more planes that are pretty accurate, instead of fewer planes taken to a fetish level.

IL2 is somewhere in the middle.

I'd say that AH was like flying the most advance version of AW anyone ever dreamed of.  IL2 and DCS are more like flying a scenario in AH with more engine managements.  And I've had some  long flights in a AH scenario where you didn't happen to be where the enemy tried to get through.  War is Hell.

One thing to realize about DCS fidelity fetish (which can sometimes be frustrating), part of their revenue is providing low cost simulators to various militaries.  Falcon 3.0 did that back in the day.  They had special version they sold as low cost simulators to National Guards.  So hyper fidelity is just going to be part of their brand and business model. 

IL2 and AH are more like games.  DCS is more like a military simulator that people are trying to play as a game, with varying levels of success.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 01:09:25 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2023, 01:18:20 AM »
Guess I wasn't clear.
In my opinion the flight modeling of dcs and IL2 are more realistic then AH3.
I'm not talking about engine management and that kind of stuff. To me it's more like flying a real plane. (in my limited flying experience)
I'm not jet pilot from pluto or a 747 pilot like Virachi.
That's why I referred to AH3 that way.
I'm not sayin it's Zaxxon but I guess I have to clarify every detail or somebody will end up offended. Seems to be the way of the world these days :)

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2023, 05:19:56 AM »
Good thing in IL2 is era restriction in arenas. If map is from 1942, you don't have to struggle with überkites but every kite and tank in both sides is from that year and older. One reason why I nowadays spend some time in there, as slightly fed up with überonepingers from stratosphere.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2023, 05:31:23 AM »

Credit where credit is due; it's great restraint on his part. :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2023, 06:38:51 AM »

The irony here is you think your vitriol has some sort of binding effect on people when all it really does is show people that if they do decide to come back (which I was/still am considering) that someone like you is waiting in the wings to make the experience miserable..
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 08:13:33 AM by Icer »
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2023, 08:51:17 AM »
The irony here is you think your vitriol has some sort of binding effect on people when all it really does is show people that if they do decide to come back (which I was/still am considering) that someone like you is waiting in the wings to make the experience miserable..

I'm not sayin it's Zaxxon but I guess I have to clarify every detail or somebody will end up offended. Seems to be the way of the world these days :)

Well good job everyone, now we are going to lose players over to Zaxxon! I hope Animl doesn’t see this.  :rofl

Full disclosure… I loved Zaxxon!

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2023, 08:56:15 AM »
Well good job everyone, now we are going to lose players over to Zaxxon! I hope Animl doesn’t see this.  :rofl

Full disclosure… I loved Zaxxon!

Downloading Zaxxon, Tetris, Doom, IL-2 1946, SWOTL, IAF, EF2000, Gunship, and Falcon 3 as I type this...
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2023, 09:09:17 AM »
Downloading Zaxxon, Tetris, Doom, IL-2 1946, SWOTL, IAF, EF2000, Gunship, and Falcon 3 as I type this...

Pretty sure everything but IL2 will look like serious dog crap and you'll wonder how you ever played them..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals