Author Topic: Finally......  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Re: Finally......
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2023, 08:51:19 AM »
It is extremely unfair to generalize an entire population of young CFIs based on one pilot's poor decision. She has had her license for 350 hours-ish, the CFI has absolutely nothing to do wit hit nor does the DPE. Why not blame the autopilot brand? Or Textron? Same difference, in my opinion.

All of us are couple of poor decisions away from danger, the CFI goes by what he/she sees in the cockpit for a limited amount of time, what is seen in the classroom for a limited amount of time, and what is seen in the logbook. The DPE has even less time. If the student proves to be proficient in all necessary areas, it is no longer in the CFI's or DPE's hands. So, give them a break. PiC error for a reason.

At least four CFI's signed off on her flying despite obvious video evidence that she was constantly behind the aircraft, and they were not only present to witness it, but were actually performing tasks for her, rather than teaching her what task to perform, why, when, and how. She never proved proficient, and in fact constantly proved deficient. Many of the videos are now removed, but many are still up.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2023, 08:55:31 AM »
Seems kind of bizarre to crash like that... would the plane just not pull up? Was she asleep at the wheel?

She had a minimum of 5 degrees nose down in the trim tab (1/2 the max on a Debonaire). Once it went back into a descent, it wasn't long before the speed of the aircraft increased the force on the elevator enough to make it difficult, if not impossible, for her to haul the yoke back. As speed increased, it only got worse. Data shows a rate of descent around 11,000 feet per minute as it was approaching the ground.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2023, 03:29:54 PM »
maybe she stoked out from being vaxxed?

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2023, 04:35:23 PM »
At least four CFI's signed off on her flying despite obvious video evidence that she was constantly behind the aircraft, and they were not only present to witness it, but were actually performing tasks for her, rather than teaching her what task to perform, why, when, and how. She never proved proficient, and in fact constantly proved deficient. Many of the videos are now removed, but many are still up.

Where did you find the info on the 4 CFI's?

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2023, 07:35:42 PM »
Where did you find the info on the 4 CFI's?

Look at her videos. She even talks about much of it. The videos are being taken down, so you may not find them. She had videos with multiple CFI's showing them literally performing the requisite tasks for her, even repeating radio traffic from ATC, constantly.

I'm not by any stretch saying that she's without fault, she's not. I am just saying that she had a ton of "help" with her faults.

I'm not saying "all" CFI's are bad. But there has long been a problem with an inordinate amount of CFI's who are doing it to accumulate hours for their career. That's a terrible reason to instruct, possibly the worst. I've spent time teaching in my life, not teaching flying, but teaching other things that require a well developed skill set. Some that can get you and/or others hurt if you fail to get it right. Teaching of that nature is something that you should only do if the greatest reason by far is that you have a passion to teach, and pass on skills and knowledge.

A very wise pilot, who spent time as a CFI, once told me, "if you want to learn to fly, and you want to be safe and live, find yourself a CFI in his forties or fifties, with horn rimmed glasses, and a passion for flying and teaching."

SaVaGe

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2023, 10:43:58 AM »
If she is as bad as described, I fault the FAA examiner who, apparently "gave her" the license instead of making her earn it with proper performance.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2023, 12:33:55 PM »
If she is as bad as described, I fault the FAA examiner who, apparently "gave her" the license instead of making her earn it with proper performance.

No argument there.

Seriously, this is a terrible thing for general aviation, it really puts it in a terrible light.

SaVaGe

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2023, 02:30:33 PM »

I'd still argue that you're being harsh in generalizing. Even if these 4 CFI's did a poor job, that doesn't mean all new CFI's are bad.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2023, 02:32:48 PM »

Why? The DPE would have spent about 4 hours with her going over her logbook, conducting an exam, then conducting a flight review. If she passed all those parts, which is possible, how is it the DPE'S fault. If the DPE passed a pilot who actually failed the exam, fine. But, you can be a poor pilot and pass an exam.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2023, 06:19:44 AM »
So.. It's no one's fault that an obviously unqualified person got a pile-it's license.

Good to know.

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2023, 08:06:14 AM »
I'd still argue that you're being harsh in generalizing. Even if these 4 CFI's did a poor job, that doesn't mean all new CFI's are bad.

And I'd still argue that there's a massive problem. I've seen plenty of evidence. The idea that at least 4 in thee Knoxville area are like that, but it is an isolated problem, has little merit.

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2023, 08:10:13 AM »
Why? The DPE would have spent about 4 hours with her going over her logbook, conducting an exam, then conducting a flight review. If she passed all those parts, which is possible, how is it the DPE'S fault. If the DPE passed a pilot who actually failed the exam, fine. But, you can be a poor pilot and pass an exam.

If a pilot that can barely have one in ten flights not have a major error at minimum, a serious problem most often, or a crisis on a regular basis, can pass the exam, then there's a serious fault in the test, and or administration thereof.

SaVaGe

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2023, 08:32:13 AM »
I've never taken a pilot's test but I it's anything like a building inspection, they're more in the business of collecting fees than actually making sure everything is good to go.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2023, 09:24:36 AM »

And I'd still argue that there's a massive problem. I've seen plenty of evidence. The idea that at least 4 in thee Knoxville area are like that, but it is an isolated problem, has little merit.

Actually, the fact that it's isolated does more to disprove your point. What if they were all trained by the same network instructors and examined by the same examiners or those who came from a similar network. Perhaps East Tennessee is the problem and not the entire country's CFI population under the age of 30.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2023, 09:25:53 AM »
I've never taken a pilot's test but I it's anything like a building inspection, they're more in the business of collecting fees than actually making sure everything is good to go.

It's nothing like that at all in my experience. Many pilots fail tests or take more than the minimum hours to qualify because of a lack of proficiency.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com