Author Topic: Your field of view setting using vr  (Read 654 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Your field of view setting using vr
« on: December 13, 2023, 09:00:41 AM »
Mine has always been between 100 and 110

Wondering if a lower setting might be better as the immersion might make up for the zoom affect

What's your setting/thoughts

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Your field of view setting using vr
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 09:18:15 AM »
Field of View is generally fixed by the headset. The FOV adjustment in AH is for monitors. Did something change?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 09:50:04 AM »
Field of View is generally fixed by the headset. The FOV adjustment in AH is for monitors. Did something change?

Thanks..didn't know it was only monitor setting

Never mind then

:old:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 11:43:23 AM »
As a point of interest, changing your FV, also changes your sound directional accuracy.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 01:36:25 PM »
As a point of interest, changing your FV, also changes your sound directional accuracy.
In what respect, wider fov is less or more accurate
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 06:36:35 AM »
Not knowing by experience but logically thinking how FOV works I think that left-right sounds might come from a wrong place.

A wider FOV compresses the landscapes on your sides into the front view area. On a monitor a wide FOV bends the wings of your plane forward to a V shape, your left and right become front-left and front-right. Also the proportions of objects will change, fat becoming slim and tall. But the sound will not follow the same pattern so the sound of objects in front left or right will come from left or right. And sounds coming from the rear angles will show their respective objects on your sides.

The same may or may not be true with VR but that's what my logic tells me.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 07:02:18 AM »
Not knowing by experience but logically thinking how FOV works I think that left-right sounds might come from a wrong place.

A wider FOV compresses the landscapes on your sides into the front view area. On a monitor a wide FOV bends the wings of your plane forward to a V shape, your left and right become front-left and front-right. Also the proportions of objects will change, fat becoming slim and tall. But the sound will not follow the same pattern so the sound of objects in front left or right will come from left or right. And sounds coming from the rear angles will show their respective objects on your sides.

The same may or may not be true with VR but that's what my logic tells me.

Would that be your monitor not matching the field of view? A triple monitor would have a wide FOV but it would be normal perspective.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 08:07:41 AM »

Would that be your monitor not matching the field of view? A triple monitor would have a wide FOV but it would be normal perspective.
Yes, that's the thing.

If the FOV is wider than what the monitor/VR would show as "normal perspective" the view will be compressed to fit the screen. But the sound won't follow, I guess.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 09:49:55 AM »
The evidence of a problem to look for would be something next to you sounding like it was ahead of you or behind you.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2024, 09:53:44 AM »
Standard FOV, at least for me, really helps to pin point the sounds location. Increasing the FOV, broadens that source location, it that makes any sense. :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2024, 11:00:56 AM »
Standard FOV, at least for me, really helps to pin point the sounds location. Increasing the FOV, broadens that source location, it that makes any sense. :D

What FOV do you use?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2024, 11:13:31 AM »
That seems to confirm my thoughts.

Kotisivuni

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2024, 02:46:54 PM »
What FOV do you use?

I have it set on Auto, and with my 37" curved monitor, that is 107.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2024, 12:57:52 AM »
In case someone hasn't read or wasn't even around when HiTech described the "natural" FOV, here's how I remember it:

What you see on your screen should be similar to what you'd see looking through a window of the same size and distance. Simple as that.

Kotisivuni

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2024, 01:36:51 PM »
Mine has always been between 100 and 110

Wondering if a lower setting might be better as the immersion might make up for the zoom affect

What's your setting/thoughts

Eagler

78 works great
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys