Author Topic: Microsoft discontinuing WMR  (Read 1255 times)

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
Microsoft discontinuing WMR
« on: December 21, 2023, 12:29:51 PM »
Been announced today that Microsoft is discontinuing WMR.  Not only abandoned, but it will be incompatible in a future release of Windows 10/11.  Hopefully Hitech can switch AH to OpenXR.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/deprecated-features

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Microsoft discontinuing WMR
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 12:32:45 PM »
Will this break VR in AH3?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 01:15:51 PM »
Will this break VR in AH3?

I don't think AH uses it, it uses the native device drivers (e.g. oculus software/steam portal)

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 01:34:51 PM »
I don't think AH uses it, it uses the native device drivers (e.g. oculus software/steam portal)

I might be wrong, but I thought if you are not using an Oculus then AH VR used either SteamVR (which uses WMR) or WMR directly via Windows.  Perhaps Steam will pickup and continue to support WMR.  OpenXR has pretty much replaced WMR and most sims/games have switched to it.  This will certainly effect G2 users.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 01:54:23 PM by edge12674 »

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 02:42:23 PM »
I might be wrong, but I thought if you are not using an Oculus then AH VR used either SteamVR (which uses WMR) or WMR directly via Windows.  Perhaps Steam will pickup and continue to support WMR.  OpenXR has pretty much replaced WMR and most sims/games have switched to it.  This will certainly effect G2 users.
Why would it affect g2 users and not rift-s users? I thought they were pretty much the same? How will it affect them and what options are there?? I have G2 and Rift-S so I'm kinda curious.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 05:54:00 PM »
Rifts S is native Oculus. Most games support native Oculus/Steam/OpenVR.
But WMR headsets have to connect first to WMR, then they can be ported over to Steam via a WMR plugin.
So, a Rift S doesn't care whether WMR is available since it runs via dedicated Oculus drivers/software.
But a WMR headset that has to use WMR as an intermediate driver will no longer work, which very much applies to the Reverb G2.
I guess it was a good call to get a Quest 3 rather than keep using the G2.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 06:25:53 PM »
So my quest 2 will not work?

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2023, 08:47:49 PM »
So my quest 2 will not work?

quest 2 is the same as quest and quest 3, they dont use WMR

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 06:53:44 PM »
Not looking good.

TShark

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 06:50:44 AM »
This is what's wrong with computer technology today....

They can jack with it at anytime requiring new hardware and or software or you are out of luck as eventually it's not compatible in one way or another and you have a giant paperweight ...

Glad my original vive pro from 2018 is still going strong...so far

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 08:33:29 AM »
What's annoying is while I got my G2 on sale it still wasn't cheap at $400. I'm just a few years into it and it's a great headset for flight dimming. Some say it's the best bang for the buck. Looking for a PC headset with similar specs now will set you back a lot more than I paid. Hopefully someone will find a solution. WMR isn't the best to work with but it's the only thing that runs the headset! Looks like I'll be sticking with Win10 for a while!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2024, 05:21:42 PM »
I have the G2 and used it for flight sims until I got the Quest 3. The Quest 3 is generally superior to the G2 and does not depend on WMR.
However, my current sim rig is still running Win 10, so I can and do still use the G2 sometimes.
My Quest 3 has a problem with the USB port melting, so it is being replaced under warranty.
I will be flying the G2 after I ship the Quest 3 off and have to wait for the replacement.
Still waiting the box/shipping label Meta is supposed to send me.

Online BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2024, 07:00:32 PM »
I have the G2 and used it for flight sims until I got the Quest 3. The Quest 3 is generally superior to the G2 and does not depend on WMR.
However, my current sim rig is still running Win 10, so I can and do still use the G2 sometimes.
My Quest 3 has a problem with the USB port melting, so it is being replaced under warranty.
I will be flying the G2 after I ship the Quest 3 off and have to wait for the replacement.
Still waiting the box/shipping label Meta is supposed to send me.

compared to the G2, how is the image quality in the game? How about tracking ?

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2024, 08:01:37 PM »
I have an AMD 7900 XTX gpu which doesn't play well with Meta Quest drivers.
But I discovered that if I used Virtual Desktop, I get amazing image quality with little or know compression artifacts using a wifi 6 wireless connection.
So, I hook up a USB cable to the headset battery while the battery feeds the headset, giving me almost unlimited run time.

The G2 has amazing sweet spot where you can read HUDs, instruments, and labels on the consoles in DCS World. But if you look outside that sweet spot, it gets ugly. The Quest 3 has better sharpness/detail/resolution. It looks as good or better than the G2's sweet spot almost edge to edge. The display is also brighter with better color. It makes the G2 look washed out.

The key to using Virtual Desktop with the Quest 3 is getting a rock solid high-bitrate connection. This is what permits much better image quality than the Oculus Link and AirLink. I am playing DCS World averaging 90 fps on the older maps and about 75 fps on the newer maps.

Here is the bad news: the Quest 3/Virtual Desktop/Steam VR doesn't play well on my gpu. I don't know if the same is true with nVidia gpus. So, if I want to play Aces High, I have to use the inferior image quality of the lower bandwidth Oculus Link. I can tweak the Debug Tool setting to permit higher bandwidth over the Link cable, which almost looks as good as the Virtual Desktop image, but my USB port melted enough that the Link cable isn't working at all. I can only charge the battery. I don't know if SteamVR, Virtual Desktop, AMD gpu driver, or Aces High is the problem. But the G2 uses SteamVR without issues, so I am leaning toward Virtual Desktop.

I haven't used the controllers for stand-alone games for a while, so I can't say how well they work at the current patch level. The headset tracks very well. The controllers track much better than the G2, but not as well as The Quest 2. But I think either the games or the Quest 3 were going to be patched to improve the controller tracking to be comparable or superior to the excellent Quest 2 controller tracking.

Online BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2024, 11:41:36 PM »
thanks for the info. I am very happy with my G2 so i will probably just hold on to it until Microsoft pulls support of WMR in Win10. Then see whats available at that time.