Author Topic: Miss my jabo.  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Re: Miss my jabo.
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2024, 03:05:29 PM »
60 feet.  Just sayin'

Even better.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2024, 05:38:29 PM »
Anyway, I do miss flying under the DAR and Jabo too, any way to bring that back? Ground attack played a bigger role in operations

Many scenarios have that.

For example, the previous scenario (October) was an Eastern Front battle.  My group of 8-10 pilots flew P-39's doing nothing but jabo.  Flying under radar, trying to pick routes to sneak in, hitting our targets, maybe half the time getting in big fights on our way out.

It is a blast.

Just about every other scenario has jabos or ground attack in it.

Offline Professor_Fate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2024, 06:46:41 PM »
So what everyone is saying a 500 kg bomb can’t wipe out a tinfoil hangar and its contents?  Today on channel 200 most smack talk is  about politics.  I remember a day when brave, fearless diehard luftwaffles respectfully and gallantly brought to everyone’s attention the favoritism towards American iron and how badly luftwaffle aircraft were nerfed.

The arguements have changed but the nerf is real. A Shrike 190 with one 500 kg center mount and maybe (if needed) four 250 kg wing mounts ought to be able to take out one raggedy arse tin foil hangar in one swoop.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 06:54:31 PM by Professor_Fate »
Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2024, 06:53:45 PM »
190 with one 500 kg center mount and 4 250 kg wing mounts ought to be able to take out one raggedy arse tin foil hangar in one swoop.

If my Math is mathing…it will.

So what everyone is saying a 500 kg bomb can’t wipe out a tinfoil hangar

Again, realism versus gameplay.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 06:55:23 PM by Banshee7 »
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2024, 06:54:35 PM »
I mean...apart from field mods, probably the only 'jabo' capable of much more than a 500kg would be the 190Gs which had larger wing bombs. By 1943 there wasn't much need for a plethora of offensive ground attack planes since Germany was on the defensive.

It is what it is...can't make planes out of thin air. Well you can I guess if you like War Thunder.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 06:57:41 PM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Professor_Fate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2024, 07:05:05 PM »
I see what you’re doing, you’re using those bouncing boobs to sway my mind.  But I know better, a 190 F-8 loaded with a 500kg bomb should be able to wipe out one tin hangar.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 07:08:27 PM by Professor_Fate »

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2024, 07:41:30 PM »
If you want to drop a hangar in one pass, Salvo 2, start with rockets from a bit higher, after rockets are gone, switch to eggs and drop em.   I see a lot of guys doing a rockets pass, and come back around with eggs.

Two passes for 1 object just doubles the time exposed to ground gun fire and damage to your plane.  Definitely worth practicing it if you don't feel confident doing so.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 08:01:39 PM by Lazerr »

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2024, 07:44:15 PM »
I dropped a 500 pound bomb from a P40 the other day in another sim and took out two hangers that were close to each other with one bomb. I was kinda surprised myself.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2024, 07:56:40 PM »
I see what you’re doing, you’re using those bouncing boobs to sway my mind.  But I know better, a 190 F-8 loaded with a 500kg bomb should be able to wipe out one tin hangar.

I’ve done it with the 500kg, two rockets and the 30mm. Took me 2-3 passes I think.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Professor_Fate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2024, 09:07:34 PM »
Hangars are just a tinfoil canopy.  I remember knocking them out in a Shrike F-8 armed with a 500 kg bomb and one or two sweeps with 20 mm cannon and having more than enough left over to drop DAR and then some.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 09:13:55 PM by Professor_Fate »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2024, 09:13:11 PM »
So what everyone is saying a 500 kg bomb can’t wipe out a tinfoil hangar and its contents?  Today on channel 200 most smack talk is  about politics.  I remember a day when brave, fearless diehard luftwaffles respectfully and gallantly brought to everyone’s attention the favoritism towards American iron and how badly luftwaffle aircraft were nerfed.

The arguements have changed but the nerf is real. A Shrike 190 with one 500 kg center mount and maybe (if needed) four 250 kg wing mounts ought to be able to take out one raggedy arse tin foil hangar in one swoop.

The issue is between "real life" vs "game play".

Real life, sure any bomb can blow a good sized hole in a tin fighter hanger, but what is that going to do? Keeps the rain of the planes on bad days. No in game play your taking out the fighter hang infrastructure and so it takes a bit more to drop it.

In real life your blowing a hole in the roof and creating a crater in the hanger. Unless there is fire, no real damage.

In the game your not only damaging the hanger, you taking out the tools, the equipment used to maintain the planes and repair them, the ammo loading abilities, the aiming adjustment abilities and so on.

In real life you would have to hunt all over a field to do that type of damage, in the game it is consolidated in one area.... a fighter hanger... to create that type of damage so yes it "seems" like its a lot of ord to drop a hanger, but your not just killing a hanger   

Offline Professor_Fate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2024, 09:20:17 PM »
I don’t know about that.  I pulled the trigger on a 25mm Bushmaster, that gun alone buttered up more than you or anyone could ever imagine. What a light show, nothing was left of the target.  Reduce ordnance requirements for airbase hangers. Long live luftwaffle tactical jabo!

I may not have hit a wrench or tool box but I sure as hell ended any chance of them reacting to my presence.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:03:03 PM by Professor_Fate »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2024, 10:00:38 PM »
I don’t know about that.  I pulled the trigger on a 25mm Bushmaster, that gun alone buttered up more than you or anyone could ever imagine. What a light show, nothing was left of the target.  Reduce ordnance requirements for airbase hangers. Long live luftwaffle tactical jabo!

I may not have hit a wrench or tool box but I sure as hell ended any intentions they may have had.

So your comparing a gun that came out in 76 vs guns in WWII  :headscratch:

I here the warthogs gun is pretty devastating too, but totally irelivate to the game as well.

Offline Professor_Fate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2024, 10:22:01 PM »
It’s not about dates of development, not much difference between a 20 mm and 25 mm round both will effectively end your day and lay waste to any tinfoil target and its content. Knowing what a 25mm cannon can do I think a 500kg bomb dropped from a Shrike should obliterate a hangar in real life or AHIII.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:37:35 PM by Professor_Fate »

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2024, 10:33:37 PM »
It’s not about dates of development, a 20 mm or 25 mm round will just as effectively end your day and lay waste to any tinfoil target and its content. Not counting cannons a 500kg bomb dropped from a Shrike on a hangar in AHIII should be obliterated it.

In arcade world yes but  AH has to walk the fine line between sim and arcade. In real life one dead hanger most likely did not disable all vehicles at a field while at the same time the weapons we use in AH could have a larger effect in the real world. Says me that is.