Author Topic: So close... but still dont get it  (Read 530 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
So close... but still dont get it
« on: January 06, 2024, 12:56:07 AM »
I have created a youtube account that I'll eventually be able to post films to. That being said, I cannot figure out how to save AH film for it to upload in youtube at decent quality. I even downloaded a twitch video I made, uploaded it to youtube, and it was still poor quality. When I try to save AH film as AVI, it appears it's saving the whole thing, but when I go to the video player, it only records like 5 seconds of it. If I try to record it on OBS, it's super blurry on youtube. I don't understand what I need to do. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
 :salute
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: So close... but still dont get it
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 04:06:35 AM »
Hi mate, I also had a lot of fiddlling around with OBS to reach acceptable quality. In my Video settings I presently have:
Base & Output Resolution: 1920x1080
Downscale Filter: Lanczos (Sharpened scaling, 36 samples)
Common FPS Values: 60
I'm sure there are better settings and those with more expertise and better hardware (if they show up at all) could advise but that's as far as my fiddling went until I could get a HD upload. Sometimes takes some time to upload a video - over an hour for a short one. Make sure you select Gaming under the categaory and choose Aces High 2000 as the game.
If you have any more snags let me know and I'll help you to the level of my knowledge which is basic but enough to get you going.

The money from YouTube was the surprising part. I've only got 23 subscribers but am already a millionaire. Astonishing.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 12:57:44 PM »
The money from YouTube was the surprising part. I've only got 23 subscribers but am already a millionaire. Astonishing.

Huh?

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 01:26:48 PM »
Huh?
:rofl My backhanded way of saying only bother if you're enthusiastic and have a clear goal in mind. Steely and Hollywood have good gameplay content. I mostly post interesting ACM encounters. Some like to big themselves up. None will get many subscribers with propellor-based air combat vids.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 02:10:24 PM »
Yeah I'm def not in it for the money. No way I'd get 500 or 1000 subs. Just want to post cool films and air combat encounters by me, maybe some with music on them. Not even trying to edit films even haha.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 05:48:38 PM »
Proud to say I'm one of nrshida's subscribers, his videos are great, but I think the best part is his description text, always puts a grin on my face!

Give those OBS settings a go, one other option is (f you have a NVIDIA card) to use shadowplay, there's a quick setup video on howto here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMEBONCx-E

Just be aware, youtube can take a few hours to process your video once uploaded, it'll start at 360p, but after a while it should also have higher res options.

I'd forget about trying to export from the film viewer, it'll be easier to open your film in the viewer to where you want to start, hit record on your recording software, go fullscreen on the film viewer and re-record.

I only really make films as a kind of Squad diary for my MA Squad and my FSO Squad, so I actually record the whole frame using a software called Action! (https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html) and then edit it later for upload, shadowplay and OBS are fine for this, just a personal preference!

Good luck!

Steely
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 09:06:04 PM »
Proud to say I'm one of nrshida's subscribers, his videos are great, but I think the best part is his description text, always puts a grin on my face!

Give those OBS settings a go, one other option is (f you have a NVIDIA card) to use shadowplay, there's a quick setup video on howto here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMEBONCx-E

Just be aware, youtube can take a few hours to process your video once uploaded, it'll start at 360p, but after a while it should also have higher res options.

I'd forget about trying to export from the film viewer, it'll be easier to open your film in the viewer to where you want to start, hit record on your recording software, go fullscreen on the film viewer and re-record.

I only really make films as a kind of Squad diary for my MA Squad and my FSO Squad, so I actually record the whole frame using a software called Action! (https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html) and then edit it later for upload, shadowplay and OBS are fine for this, just a personal preference!

Good luck!

Steely

I upload at 2560x1440 MP4, over 1080 HD, it's suppose to trigger a higher-end codec, processing up to 4k. As Steely said, it keeps rendering higher to your resolution. Mine usually take 45 minutes to get to HD, and those are 175-200gb files. Go over 1080HD res.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 09:32:32 AM »
I have created a youtube account that I'll eventually be able to post films to. That being said, I cannot figure out how to save AH film for it to upload in youtube at decent quality. I even downloaded a twitch video I made, uploaded it to youtube, and it was still poor quality. When I try to save AH film as AVI, it appears it's saving the whole thing, but when I go to the video player, it only records like 5 seconds of it. If I try to record it on OBS, it's super blurry on youtube. I don't understand what I need to do. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
 :salute
Personally I don't bother with exporting directly from AH Film as I've never had good quality. AFAIK the avi files also end up being massive compared to mp4 or something with same quality.

How many monitors do you have? My method is workable with 2 but I have 3.

I have AHFilm on my left screen, OBS on my right, and the "full screen" AHfilm in the center (which is my 'main' monitor determined by Windows, the one AH uses to play). So when I click "full screen" in AHfilm, it opens on my center screen and allows me to still control the play/pause buttons on AHFilm. Then I have a hotkey setup to record/stop record in OBS. So I find the shot I want, click Play in film viewer and quickly press record in OBS.

It sounds like what you are trying to do is just record from AHFilm with cockpit views, which should be easier as it's less messing around with shots and typically is just a longer, single video file.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 04:06:45 PM »
Much better quality, easier, and can do much more using a screen capture, LIKE Bandicam. There are other screen capture methods. In other words, taking screen toejams of whst us done on AH Film Viewer. Even if all you do is use interior cockpit views.

Lots of ways to do the same thing.
You can PM me if you want.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 12:28:08 AM »
Then I have a hotkey setup to record/stop record in OBS.

That's what I do. In fact I think because Spikes told me about it  :salute
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 09:01:59 AM »
Thanks guys! I'll give that a try. I'll try the Nvidia capture as well as I also have that. I'm wondering if I just didn't give youtube enough time to render the film for better quality. I'll let yall know when I get my first video up!  :rock
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 10:15:07 AM »
Thanks guys! I'll give that a try. I'll try the Nvidia capture as well as I also have that. I'm wondering if I just didn't give youtube enough time to render the film for better quality. I'll let yall know when I get my first video up!  :rock

I don’t think it will render HD unless the resolution is HD, like 1080 or higher. Could be wrong.
Point being, when uploading to YT it will take a little quality hit. So ne woild want to go as high as possible, two steps forward, one step back.

Give it at least 1 hr for it to upscale the render.
I’m about to upload a 1G file at 2560 x 1440. I have you and others in it.

Whatever screen capture you use, make sure it has an adjustable rectangle window to adjust  it to just capture the AHFV screen, not the whole app.

I would also suggest using Lagarith Codec, its lossless in quality, good for editing. Others every time you edit/save quality takes a hit. You can start getting color banding effect.

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2024, 08:11:32 AM »
I don’t think it will render HD unless the resolution is HD, like 1080 or higher. Could be wrong.
Point being, when uploading to YT it will take a little quality hit. So ne woild want to go as high as possible, two steps forward, one step back.

Give it at least 1 hr for it to upscale the render.
I’m about to upload a 1G file at 2560 x 1440. I have you and others in it.

Whatever screen capture you use, make sure it has an adjustable rectangle window to adjust  it to just capture the AHFV screen, not the whole app.

I would also suggest using Lagarith Codec, its lossless in quality, good for editing. Others every time you edit/save quality takes a hit. You can start getting color banding effect.

Ah, I see.
Is Lagarith codec something I can download?
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2024, 10:51:38 AM »
Ah, I see.
Is Lagarith codec something I can download?

Ya, you can DL it here. You prolly want the 32 and 64 bit version.
https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

I'm sure somewhere there are other codecs just as good, it's the hunt for finding them and testing them that can be a PITA.

The only change I get in quality now is simply down-scaling from .AVI to .MP4.
I used up almost 1T of space making this last video in all AVI format clips, and it's not even rendered yet. Which will be 1G as MP4 format OR 234G as AVI.

The reason I have to do more work on quality with mine is my monitor is old, maxes out at 60 refresh rate, which means I can't turn my vid card up past 1920x1080. SO I'm making 2560x1440 videos on a 1920x1080 monitor. Total PITA.

The reason I use Bandicam is, it's straight out of the box easy and doesn't ruin quality. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles to capture. There are certain settings, as with anything, that makes it better than default. But this way, using the film viewer to record my stuff, Bandicam for AHFV screen capture, and Vegas to edit, I have a lot of options, as extremely NOT intuitive the AHFV is. Using AHFV, when ya get to know it, you can click on names in the AHFV and enter their cockpit or do other scenes with and angles with other AC, this way, scenes are not all just single player type vids. While AHFV does work well, it's got to be one of the worst GUIs I've seen in a long time. Ya just have to toy with it and get to know it and it's limitations.

If you're just making straight in straight out videos, damn near anything works.

If you're using just a game screen capture to do all your recordings, you only capture what you do in that plane at that time, what is on the screen is what ya get.  Which certainly doesn't make them bad, some are killer. You're just not going to get custom angles. That said, not everyone does the type of videos I do, attempting cinematic.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks